PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith retires

jakncoke
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
DENVER -- Amid published reports that he will retire, all signs point to Denver Broncos wide receiver Rod Smith walking away from the game after 13 seasons.

The Broncos announced that Smith will hold a press conference on Thursday at 4 p.m. ET.
Rod Smith, WR
Denver Broncos

Career Statistics:
Receptions: 849
Yards: 11,389
Touchdowns: 68

Smith, 38, has been on the reserve/retired list since February and has had two hip operations in the last year and a half. He's the franchise's career leader in every major receiving category.

In June, Smith paid a visit to the Broncos' team camp and passed out pointers to the younger receivers as they ran their routes. He said at the time that he wasn't sure if he was ready to walk away from football.

However, he admitted that if he had caught his last pass, he was at peace with the decision.

"You knew it eventually was going to end," Smith said in June. "When it's time to close the door, trust me, I'm going to close it and wish the Broncos the best, no matter what."

Smith holds franchise records for career receptions (849), receiving yards (11,389), touchdown catches (68), touchdowns (71) and 100-yard games (31).

The Missouri Southern product also leads all undrafted players in every major receiving category.

Smith joined the team's practice squad in 1994 and played on the Broncos' 1998 and 1999 Super Bowl championship teams.

The Broncos made bolstering their depth at receiver an offseason priority, bringing in Keary Colbert, Samie Parker and Darrell Jackson after severing ties with Javon Walker.

best undrafted WR ever.

diablo
07-30-2008, 12:10 PM
wow the stats are impressive, put so many records, i wonder if they'll be broken any time soon

jakncoke
07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
wow the stats are impressive, put so many records, i wonder if they'll be broken any time soon

well if Brandon Marshall can stay out of trouble he could have a chance seeing he just came off a 102 catch-1,325 yd and 7 td season.

LiNuX
07-30-2008, 02:08 PM
cant believe i missed this thread...and smith did leave his mark in history, well best of luck to him in life - stats are very impressive - no doubt about that