PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine 4 not coming till nex-gen

jakncoke
07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Epic boss Mike Capps predicts that the next iteration of the company's stupidly popular Unreal Engine will be out in 2012, no doubt raking in even more cash from developers who don't quite fancy building their own tech.

"We've got Unreal [Engine] 4 in production right now," Capps told Gamasutra. "It's going to be in the next console generation--our rough guess is 2012 [up to] 2018."

As above, Epic has previously gone on record that its fourth engine will squarely target PlayStation 4 and Xbox... well, whatever Microsoft decide to call the next one. "PCs will follow after that," mastermind Tim Sweeney said earlier this year.

"The Unreal engine is really tied to a console cycle," he said. "Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also.

"We have a small Research & Development effort dedicated to the Unreal Engine 4. Basically, it is just me, but that team will be ramping up to three to four engineers by the end of this year - and even more one year after that."

After Unreal Tournament 3 will Epic ever truly return to where is stated, on PC?

News: Unreal Engine 4 in 2012 - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=194041)

This info is going to p1ss of a lot of people.

Shixx
07-28-2008, 09:37 PM
takes that long? it must be raising the bar alot.

Trunks
07-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Isn't that what happened too assassins creed? It was created back in last gen, but the systems couldn't handle it. It may have been a rumor, I'm not sure.

LiNuX
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
wow, thats still 4 years lol...meh..i dont care much about it anyway, i wonder who will get really ticked off about this lol

rukisuto
07-29-2008, 07:57 AM
I guess if they want to wait four years to release it.
I just think that's stupid.

I've played the second UT, but that's it.

jakncoke
07-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Isn't that what happened too assassins creed? It was created back in last gen, but the systems couldn't handle it. It may have been a rumor, I'm not sure.

maybe, never heard of that rumor though

wow, thats still 4 years lol...meh..i dont care much about it anyway, i wonder who will get really ticked off about this lol

nerds on neogaf complain about the UE3 all the time

LiNuX
07-29-2008, 11:49 AM
maybe, never heard of that rumor though

nerds on neogaf complain about the UE3 all the time

lol wow...heh...haven't played the ut games in a while even though i have a few so if this was like 8 years ago or when UT 2003 came out, i would have been a bit ticked cuz i was waiting for that game then

jakncoke
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I wonder how many devs have licensed the UE3 so far, I bet it's a lot so far. Epic is defiantly rolling in cash.

Scott
07-29-2008, 03:42 PM
That sucks, I liked UT3. Well it better be worth the wait.

jakncoke
07-29-2008, 04:03 PM
That sucks, I liked UT3. Well it better be worth the wait.

This news doesn't mean that they won't make Unreal Tournement 4(or whatever it's called) on the Unreal Engine 3.

Casius
07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
and theres me thinking UT Was on the Queke engine...

Well i Thought the Unreal engine Sucked With the Games they made with it... The Graphics are good, but the game stly aint my typ

diablo
07-30-2008, 11:49 AM
never been a fan of the unreal tournament games but it sucks to hear they are delaying for so long

Casius
07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Mass Effect, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, America's Army, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, Red Steel, Gears of War, BioShock... It aint just UT ant uses it

The engine is delyed... not the Game...

diablo
07-30-2008, 12:00 PM
yea i know, but it is mostly known for the ut games, thats what i was saying, i have even less experience with the other games than ut

jakncoke
07-30-2008, 01:49 PM
yea i know, but it is mostly known for the ut games, thats what i was saying, i have even less experience with the other games than ut

not really, there's so many games using it that I'd say that it's mostly known for being ported out for games.

Casius
07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Agreed, it is one of the most used engine in modern time, But if you look at the original UT logo and the modorn one, you will see the U is pretty much the same as the Unrealengine logo