PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect on PC

EpsilonX
08-01-2008, 10:58 PM
So i found a pc i want. and i decided I wanted to get mass effect.

but then I found out you can only install it 3 TIMES!?!? WHAT IS THIS CRAP!?

Does anyone...know how to get around that?

What if years down the road i want to play it again? I've probably installed diablo 2, starcraft, roller coaster tycoon, and roller coaster tycoon 2 at least 8 times each.

LiNuX
08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
you can only install it 3 times? reminds me of the Microsoft Office CDs - you can actually install the thing as many times as you want but the CD Key works only 3 or 4 times. They do this for money probably but This is the first I am hearing of Mass Effect doing that.

will check more info on that but its weird for a game to do that. Maybe they work like microsoft office and the cd key is the one that can be used 3 times.

Blackbird
08-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Well actuall is not like that * Probably* but it's work fine with the X-box 360. Anyway I will try to found out the information about this. xD

EpsilonX
08-02-2008, 12:01 AM
It's called DRM or something like that. I think it's pretty stupid because you don't actually own the game, like i own rollercoaster tycoon 2 or starcraft. I can install them whenever and wherever. But Mass Effect...3 times...that's like an extended rent.

Blackbird
08-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Do you really need to connect it online to be able to play it?

EpsilonX
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Do you really need to connect it online to be able to play it?

I'm pretty sure you only have to connect online to install it.

maybe you can only install it on 3 different computers? but if you install it a lot on the same computer it doesn't matter?

Blackbird
08-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Try to borrow by your friend or something and try this game out. I dunno how this going to work. xD

LiNuX
08-02-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm pretty sure you only have to connect online to install it.

maybe you can only install it on 3 different computers? but if you install it a lot on the same computer it doesn't matter?

i did some research and its three installs total - whether its 3 times on one computer, or 1 install on 3 computers - the ea servers require authentication every few days to make sure no one is cheating. It sux i know, but they are doing it for the money and to keep people from cracking the game - its smart in the sense of protecting their product but dumb because people will be repelled from this.

You Can Only Install Mass Effect on PC Three Times (http://news.filefront.com/you-can-only-install-mass-effect-on-pc-three-times/)

that link has some info, i also looked on a few other sites

EpsilonX
08-03-2008, 10:12 AM
i did some research and its three installs total - whether its 3 times on one computer, or 1 install on 3 computers - the ea servers require authentication every few days to make sure no one is cheating. It sux i know, but they are doing it for the money and to keep people from cracking the game - its smart in the sense of protecting their product but dumb because people will be repelled from this.

You Can Only Install Mass Effect on PC Three Times (http://news.filefront.com/you-can-only-install-mass-effect-on-pc-three-times/)

that link has some info, i also looked on a few other sites

Well that's like...only being able to start 3 new games on a console game. Is there ANY way around it? What if I've already used up my 3 Installs and I want to install the game again? Do I have to buy a brand new copy?

LiNuX
08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Well that's like...only being able to start 3 new games on a console game. Is there ANY way around it? What if I've already used up my 3 Installs and I want to install the game again? Do I have to buy a brand new copy?

thats what they want you to do :( its stupid i know....and its only with the pc version too

EpsilonX
08-03-2008, 10:36 AM
thats what they want you to do :( its stupid i know....and its only with the pc version too

eh. I'll make sure to never uninstall it.

LiNuX
08-03-2008, 10:47 AM
eh. I'll make sure to never uninstall it.

lol good luck, cuz if by chance your hard drive corrupts or someone else decides to screw with you, are you screwed lol...

OR since they let you install in 3 computers at the same time, try to sell an install to 2 others lol

EpsilonX
08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
lol good luck, cuz if by chance your hard drive corrupts or someone else decides to screw with you, are you screwed lol...

OR since they let you install in 3 computers at the same time, try to sell an install to 2 others lol

Grr...I'll hide the disc or something.

LiNuX
08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Grr...I'll hide the disc or something.

you should lol, in a safety deposit box at your local bank

Trunks
08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I would put it on my slave drive. Easiest way to do it. You could also sell one to your friends for 40 bucks or something. That is what I would do. I get my money back from buying the game and get an extra cd key, just encase.