PDA

View Full Version : GTA4 pulled in Thailand

jakncoke
08-05-2008, 01:23 AM
A Thai student murdered a taxi driver while trying to recreate a scene from the Grand Theft Auto computer game.

Polwat Chino, 18, who was said to be an obsessive player of the controversial game, stabbed the 54-year-old driver ten times.

'He said he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game,' chief police investigator Veeravit Pipattanasak said.

Grand Theft Auto, which is made by Edinburgh-based firm Rockstar North, has been criticised for depicting carjackings, drive-by shootings and prostitution. It has also been accused of encouraging juvenile crime in Britain.

Now a Thai video game distributor has halted sales of 'Grand Theft Auto' as backlash against the controversially violent game began.

The 18-year-old high school student, who is now in custody, faces death by lethal injection if found guilty of robbing and killing the 54-year-old taxi driver over the weekend.

Police watch as the suspect, second right, re-enacts the crime in Bangkok yesterday

Copycat killing: Police watch as the suspect, second right, re-enacts the crime in Bangkok yesterday

Police said the youth showed no sign of mental problems during questioning and had confessed to committing the crime because of the game.

The youth, described by his parents as polite and diligent, was arrested late on Saturday after he was found trying to steer a cab backwards out of a Bangkok street with the severely wounded driver in the back seat, newspapers reported.

The suspect told police he did not mean to kill the driver, whom he had chosen as a possible victim because of his age, but that he stabbed him to death when he fought back, newspapers reported.

"We are sending out requests today to outlets and shops to pull the games off their shelves and we will replace them with other games," Sakchai Chotikachinda, sales and marketing director of New Era Interactive Media, said.
Grand Theft Auto IV: The controversial game has been pulled in Thailand after the attack

Grand Theft Auto IV: The controversial game has been pulled in Thailand after the attack

"We are also urging video game arcades to pull the games from service," Sakchai said.

"Grand Theft Auto", now available in its fourth edition, has been criticised for depicting violence including beatings, carjackings, drive-by shootings, drunk driving and prostitution.

A senior official at Thailand's Culture Ministry said the murder was a wake-up call for authorities to tackle the issue of violent video games, and urged parents to pay closer attention to what their children played.

"This time-bomb has already exploded and the situation could get worse," Ladda Thangsupachai, director of the ministry's Cultural Surveillance Centre, said.

"Today it is a cab driver, but tomorrow it could be a video game shop owner."

The ministry has been pushing for tougher regulation of video games such as Grand Theft Auto, including the imposition of a rating system on sales and restriction on hours that youngsters can play the games in public arcades.

A multi-million dollar lawsuit was filed in the U.S. state of Alabama against the makers and marketers of Grand Theft Auto in 2005, claiming that months of playing the game led a teenager to kill two police officers and a 911 dispatcher.

The blockbuster Grand Theft Auto games are published by Nasdaq-listed Take-Two Interactive Software.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1041407/Grand-Theft-Auto-pulled-sale-Bangkok-teen-murders-taxi-driver-easy-game.html

I think it's retarded they pull the game from the whole country just because of 1 crazy kid.

Trunks
08-05-2008, 01:30 AM
That's what happens, in other places around the world. Their are different rules and such. That would never happen in America.. In fact it couldn't happen.

LiNuX
08-05-2008, 02:19 AM
retard....he's 18...he doesn't get the difference between real life and in game? in real life YOU can die...and in game, you can die and come back to life

Hawk
08-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Oh My God
What a freaky little kid... :eek:
and... ten times.

rukisuto
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
It's people like that that ruin it for everyone else.
What happens if you already bought the game, do they take it from you?

Iceskater101
08-05-2008, 11:16 AM
wow its all that kids fault that the game is being taken off the shelves
what the heck was he thinking?!?!

diablo
08-05-2008, 12:40 PM
in thailand? and he's getting killed by lethal injection at the age of 18, thats really sad and very stupid of him

conman1000
08-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow, that kid must of some kind of mental issues.

jakncoke
08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
It's people like that that ruin it for everyone else.
What happens if you already bought the game, do they take it from you?

I'm guessing you can keep it seeing it'd be rather hard to track down the copies, although I doubt it sold much in Thailand.

Trunks
08-05-2008, 03:26 PM
He probably used the game as an excuse, so he wouldn't get in as much trouble. You would have to be mentally disabled to try the stuff that happens in that game. If he did use the game as a defense, then he has a smart lawyer.

jakncoke
08-05-2008, 03:35 PM
He probably used the game as an excuse, so he wouldn't get in as much trouble. You would have to be mentally disabled to try the stuff that happens in that game. If he did use the game as a defense, then he has a smart lawyer.

maybe that's what he thought but he's going to die by lethal injection.

Trunks
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Oh, well.... Never mind. Maybe he just wanted to take joy from all the other kids that played that game.

jakncoke
08-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh, well.... Never mind. Maybe he just wanted to take joy from all the other kids that played that game.

Do you ever read OP's? seriously your as bad as :master: when it comes to that.

Trunks
08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Do you ever read OP's? seriously your as bad as :master: when it comes to that.

Well, I normally do, but I stopped reading post in this thread after a while. Then I thought of something when I saw it. So I just typed it out.... If I was as bad as master I would type random things and spell completey rong. At least when I post, it makes sense......

jakncoke
08-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, I normally do, but I stopped reading post in this thread after a while. Then I thought of something when I saw it. So I just typed it out.... If I was as bad as master I would type random things and spell completey rong. At least when I post, it makes sense......

lol, so true.

younging94
08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
mother f***** got dammit.
Its always the damn 18+ year olds that f*** games up for minors.
He's an adult, he's a retard, he used an excuse.
You dont have to rob **** and kill people all the time for fun in the game.
All you really need to do is just do what missions tell you (which do involve...robbing **** and killing people).
Its you choice to rob a car and go run over some old ladys, and its your choice in real life too.
Got damn retards.

Shixx
08-05-2008, 08:34 PM
ha..can't tell you I'm surprised..

Pannerup
08-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Some people are just sick . I have played a lot Gta, killed many people in the game ofcourse. That doesn't mean that my friday involves running around in the street with a knife, slashing around, screaming "Pwn'd!", and stealing cars.

Scott
08-18-2008, 10:06 AM
What a psycho.... Maybe he was on drugs?

Pannerup
08-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, he is not the first one I have heard of, doing crazy stuff from a game IRL

Blackbird
08-18-2008, 12:10 PM
This isn't something new, have hear about it everywhere. That doesn't only happend in Thailand. :S

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 01:46 AM
sucks for thailand... good thing i live in the united states now lol

MacQuarie
08-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Jack Thompson would love a story like this. Good thing he got barred from the Bar.

Why do people look to the video game companies to take responsibility? It's up to parents to teach their children the difference between right and wrong and to monitor what sort of games and movies they are exposed to.