PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Strike: Source

LiNuX
08-06-2008, 06:47 PM
http://www.gamers-forum.com/imagehosting/1489a360ece6b0.jpg

Counter-Strike: Source is a game that revolutionized the Counter-Strike world with its amazing and very realistic graphics. I have played the game for a few years now and so far the graphics are the only part that amazed me.

This game was released on August 11, 2004 in Beta mode to cyber cafes around the country. It was released for everyone on November 16th 2004 by valve in the newly designed Source Engine which surpassed the Half Life engine brought out previously with its newer features along with the ease of use.

CSS, CS: Source, Counter-Strike: Source – Whatever you may want to call it, was a follow up of the Game Counter-Strike 1.6 even though the game came out after Counter-Strike Condition Zero which was a complete failure for valve in terms of sales, user activity, and popularity. The CS 1.6 review can be found in the following link here on GF: CS 1.6 Review (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5191)

The Game Play has changed since 1.6. The guns no longer have the high amount of recoil so it takes away from the realism of the game from the shooting point of view. However they have improved on player mobility and now the items around the maps that were previously grounded, even if it was a simple Telephone, can now be shot and destroyed like real life. You can even push down barrels and push them along, something you can never do in CS 1.6 without special modifications to the server.

I am a bit biased because I prefer the 1.6 game play – The guns are harder to handle and they feel more realistic in 1.6. In real life you cannot run and shoot a rifle at the same time and expect a 100% accuracy. In CSS, you can do that without worry most of the time.

CSS also makes it easier for people to get customized sounds, textures, weapon skins, and player skins for their server. You can also install bots in your server in a matter of seconds. And CSS Also allows offline play with bots, something not found in the Previous Counter-Strike versions.

CSS Surpasses its predecessors through its graphics, its realistic environments, it’s customizations, its offline game play, and even fan base. CSS is now the most popular counter-strike game around with millions of players world wide. The game lets you play with up to 32 players in some of the most popular maps including Fy_iceworld_cssource, fy_snow_css, De_Dust2, De_dust, De_Inferno, De_Aztec, Cs_Assault, Cs_italy, and the hundreds of other maps that come with the game.

FY maps are Fight Yard Maps. Generally small and ends quickly. DE Maps are Demolition Extraction Maps – Goal of Terrorists is to plant the bomb in the possible bomb sites and the Counter-Terrorist has to either stop the plant and if they fail to do that, they can diffuse the bomb. CS Maps are Hostage Rescue Maps. This is where the Counter-Terrorists go in side the Terrorist base to rescue the Hostages. There are many other types of Maps and Mods but those will take forever to explain.

http://www.gamers-forum.com/imagehosting/1489a360f19fc3.jpg

The above image is of some game play in the map De_dust.

http://www.gamers-forum.com/imagehosting/1489a360f030aa.jpg

This image is the counter-terrorist spawn point in the map CS_Italy.

Final Ratings:

Game Play: 7/10 – Could have been a 9 if they just kept the original recoil of the guns.

Graphics: 8/10 – They were great but compared to the game games made today, they are still below. They still deserve an 8/10 for its time.

Ease of Use: 9/10 – both Server and Client wise. Very easy to use online and offline mode.

Overall: 8/10

http://www.gamers-forum.com/imagehosting/1489a364a714a6.jpg

~LiNuX

Trunks
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Good review... I may pick this game up for 10 bucks some time. I saw them new at a few pawn shops.... Hm....

LiNuX
08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Good review... I may pick this game up for 10 bucks some time. I saw them new at a few pawn shops.... Hm....

new is generally $20 if you buy it directly from Steam, if you buy it from the store its also $20 but you may have to pay taxes lol

but yeah..there are places where you can get it cheaper than steam and friends.

It's a good game for people wanting to START cs. I know people that played CS 1.6 first then CSS and they didn't like the game play as much - I was the same.

Hawk
08-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Nice review,
I'm gonna buy it off my steam when I get this stupid paypal setup.
Then 1.6 when I get used to it.

+rep.

LiNuX
08-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice review,
I'm gonna buy it off my steam when I get this stupid paypal setup.
Then 1.6 when I get used to it.

+rep.

you can pay with credit card if you have one lol, easier to pay for than paypal

and css is good if you are starting out playing counter-strike - have fun with it :) feel free to play in the GF Servers, always up and running

diablo
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM
great review there linux, i played the game and i own 1.6 but i havent played cs for a very long time, dont even have 1.6 installed anymore lol, good review though :) very detailed

LiNuX
08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
great review there linux, i played the game and i own 1.6 but i havent played cs for a very long time, dont even have 1.6 installed anymore lol, good review though :) very detailed

glad you like it :D

i was going to do a condition zero review but then decided not to - have less than 5 hrs total game play in the past few years lol, and its not a very popular cs game anyway so i said screw it :D stick with source and 1.6

Trunks
08-13-2008, 10:17 PM
The games are similar anyway. Most of the online play is the same. I only played CSS a few times, but as far as I could tell it's the same.

LiNuX
08-13-2008, 10:27 PM
The games are similar anyway. Most of the online play is the same. I only played CSS a few times, but as far as I could tell it's the same.

css and cs 1.6? or cz? i dont remember what cz looked like - i know graphics were better compared to 1.6 but dont remember much

but css graphics are not even close to 1.6 graphics - years apart literally and graphics wise

the game play is also very different - css gun recoil has dropped greatly since 1.6 - one of the things i dont like - no realistic feeling if the AK -47 doesn't shoot upwards when you spray lol

Trunks
08-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Like I said, Haven't played to much of CS source, but cz and cs 1.6 seem a lot like CSS. It's probably because I spent about 20 hours total on all 3 games combined. I normally play the cod series on my pc. I'm getting ready to upgrade my computer with a duo 3.0 cpu. Which means I have to update my motherboard, because the socket is 478 and it can't hold duo 3.0. I also need new RAM, because my motherboard only holds DDR, the new one takes DDR 2. Luckly, I upgraded my gcard a few years back too a 1650x ATI radeon 512 mb, which is PCI-E. I'll get a 8800GT at Christmas for my complete update = ) I'm getting off topic now so I'm quiting.

LiNuX
08-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Like I said, Haven't played to much of CS source, but cz and cs 1.6 seem a lot like CSS. It's probably because I spent about 20 hours total on all 3 games combined. I normally play the cod series on my pc. I'm getting ready to upgrade my computer with a duo 3.0 cpu. Which means I have to update my motherboard, because the socket is 478 and it can't hold duo 3.0. I also need new RAM, because my motherboard only holds DDR, the new one takes DDR 2. Luckly, I upgraded my gcard a few years back too a 1650x ATI radeon 512 mb, which is PCI-E. I'll get a 8800GT at Christmas for my complete update = ) I'm getting off topic now so I'm quiting.

ah..alright then - i have like 1000x more exp with 1.6 than source - i played cs since 1.3 though and that was my favorite for a long time - dont think css will ever make it to being my favorite counter-strike game lol

and when we had the cs 1.6 server grand opening match, i thought of you as playing cs 1.6 a lot lol - im assuming you only installed it for that occasion and then forgot :-P

Trunks
08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
ah..alright then - i have like 1000x more exp with 1.6 than source - i played cs since 1.3 though and that was my favorite for a long time - dont think css will ever make it to being my favorite counter-strike game lol

and when we had the cs 1.6 server grand opening match, i thought of you as playing cs 1.6 a lot lol - im assuming you only installed it for that occasion and then forgot :-P

:yes:

Let, me know if there is another one, maybe I can make the next one and get owned for you = p.

Edit: Wait I got it, lets play cod4 !!!! yea!!!

LiNuX
08-13-2008, 10:52 PM

:yes:

Let, me know if there is another one, maybe I can make the next one and get owned for you = p.

Edit: Wait I got it, lets play cod4 !!!! yea!!!

yea i'll let you know - we'll probably have a scheduled match for css before another cs 1.6 though - and back to css review :) not cod4

koo
08-21-2008, 08:04 AM
When I first played this game, being a long time 1.6 and cz player, I did not like it at all. It reminded me of some playdough-ish models. But now its played by everyone... I still dont like it as much, for some reason my skills from cz dont transfer into source.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 11:22 AM
wait which one has the most playability time so i know which one i should get

i never really played counter strike just played it here and there in computer arcades in thailand

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 11:24 AM
wait which one has the most playability time so i know which one i should get

i never really played counter strike just played it here and there in computer arcades in thailand

what do you mean by playability time? they are both online play, if you are talking about offline play then cs 1.6 has none while css has some but its only practice and with bots only - no storymode.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 11:26 AM
like which one is the funnest one that people usually play

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 11:30 AM
like which one is the funnest one that people usually play

well right now CSS has the lead on most players online - cs 1.6 dominated for years but CSS caught up a few years ago and now it's ahead

CSS is also newer - and as for "fun" game - it is all opinions - i love playing 1.6 and I'd play that over CSS any day and that's because I am used to it. I am sure many others would argue in favor of CSS. But I can only tell you my favorite is 1.6 - a bit more realistic in game play even though graphics aren't that great, CSS took off a lot of Gun Recoil which I hate

CSS is also good for people going into Counter-Strike from what I've heard. And Cs 1.6 is $10 while CSS is $20 lol..should have some influence in choice

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 11:34 AM
well right now CSS has the lead on most players online - cs 1.6 dominated for years but CSS caught up a few years ago and now it's ahead

CSS is also newer - and as for "fun" game - it is all opinions - i love playing 1.6 and I'd play that over CSS any day and that's because I am used to it. I am sure many others would argue in favor of CSS. But I can only tell you my favorite is 1.6 - a bit more realistic in game play even though graphics aren't that great, CSS took off a lot of Gun Recoil which I hate

CSS is also good for people going into Counter-Strike from what I've heard. And Cs 1.6 is $10 while CSS is $20 lol..should have some influence in choice

if i were to choose a game i would choose gameplay over graphics

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 11:37 AM
if i were to choose a game i would choose gameplay over graphics

cs 1.6 game play is much more realistic, the characters move as they should in real life, the guns have the recoil they should in real life, like you can't run and spray and ak and get a headshot every time lol, so yeah, i'd recommend 1.6 for you if you prefer game play - css is good for beginners I guess and you can run and shoot the Ak and it wont' spray nearly as much as the 1.6 gun. By spray i mean, go outward, it will try to pull itself within the crosshair which doesn't happen in real life if you hold the trigger of a rifle without any kind of support from another machine or person.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 11:45 AM
i'm pretty used to playing shooters on the pc but i haven't played it in a bit i've mostly been playing halo 3 and cod 4 for the summer

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
i'm pretty used to playing shooters on the pc but i haven't played it in a bit i've mostly been playing halo 3 and cod 4 for the summer

yea i am used to playing shooters on PC as well, i suck at consoles for some reason - i like fighting, racing, and sports games on console - played Cod4 on pc as well when it came out.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
yea i am used to playing shooters on PC as well, i suck at consoles for some reason - i like fighting, racing, and sports games on console - played Cod4 on pc as well when it came out.

all my friends have xbox 360 so i decided to get the game for the 360 instead. but the shooter games like Gears of War and halo seems like it was meant for the gamepad rather than the mouse and keyboard.

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 12:02 PM
all my friends have xbox 360 so i decided to get the game for the 360 instead. but the shooter games like Gears of War and halo seems like it was meant for the gamepad rather than the mouse and keyboard.

ah..even Halo games I've played on the PC, just used to it i guess - My first shooter was Duke Nukem I believe and that was for the PC lol, well first shooter I remember, when CS came out, i got it and fell in love with the game play.

I expected CSS to be as good but they toned down big time on the game play even though graphics are awesome, it still repelled me.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 12:05 PM
ah..even Halo games I've played on the PC, just used to it i guess - My first shooter was Duke Nukem I believe and that was for the PC lol, well first shooter I remember, when CS came out, i got it and fell in love with the game play.

I expected CSS to be as good but they toned down big time on the game play even though graphics are awesome, it still repelled me.

i remember playing halo 1 for the pc though but i never finished the game for some reason i don't remember. but i got pretty far in the game but i just got bored with it. but then halo 2 sucked me back into the halo games and then now i'm at 3:D

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 12:10 PM
i remember playing halo 1 for the pc though but i never finished the game for some reason i don't remember. but i got pretty far in the game but i just got bored with it. but then halo 2 sucked me back into the halo games and then now i'm at 3:D

i didn't finish the first halo either, i borrowed it from a friend and had to give it back before i could finish it, i think it was because of exams or something that i couldn't play anymore lol, but i loved online play - i am all for FPS and I'd rather play online than offline unlike most of my friends lol - reason why i like cs so much, its only online play

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 12:17 PM
i didn't finish the first halo either, i borrowed it from a friend and had to give it back before i could finish it, i think it was because of exams or something that i couldn't play anymore lol, but i loved online play - i am all for FPS and I'd rather play online than offline unlike most of my friends lol - reason why i like cs so much, its only online play

yeah all my games for the xbox i bought it with the thought of online play in mind and the game frontlines fuel of war i got i bought it with the whole thought of online playing with 64 people on a map

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
wait how do i join the server once i have the game

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 12:58 PM
wait how do i join the server once i have the game

there is a server window you can open, you can add our server to your favorites list and double click or you can search for it on the server window which is another tab in the server window

you can do this in or out of game, server window can be opened in both places

OR you can open console which is generally "~" on your keyboard and type in "connect" followed by the Ip address or connection address - all without the quotes :)

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 01:31 PM
there is a server window you can open, you can add our server to your favorites list and double click or you can search for it on the server window which is another tab in the server window

you can do this in or out of game, server window can be opened in both places

OR you can open console which is generally "~" on your keyboard and type in "connect" followed by the Ip address or connection address - all without the quotes :)

k thankyou for the help look forward to playing :)

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
i'm probably get the chance to get the game next week or after that week

El3mentGamer
12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
offline play? may i ask how to do that?

LiNuX
12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
offline play? may i ask how to do that?

When you open the game there is a single player option (I think, Haven't opened the game in a while) - or you can set up your own home server and CSS allows you to spawn bots easily, thus, offline play is easy. Much easier than 1.6 because bots aren't preinstalled into the game.