PDA

View Full Version : Universe at War

EpsilonX
08-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Does anybody have this game? I'm getting a computer for college and I decided i wanted a recent RTS to pass my time when I don't have work/don't feel like hanging out with people, so I ordered Universe at War (was gonna get supreme commander, but universe at war was way cheaper)

So does anyone have anything to say about this game/anybody have it (and wanna play online once i get it)

Hawk
08-08-2008, 09:05 PM
IGN: Universe at War: Earth Assault Screenshots, Wallpapers and Pics (http://au.media.pc.ign.com/media/771/771526/imgs_1.html)
Looks like a "Age Of Empires" type of game...
I'm not really into those type of games...

EpsilonX
08-08-2008, 09:22 PM
IGN: Universe at War: Earth Assault Screenshots, Wallpapers and Pics (http://au.media.pc.ign.com/media/771/771526/imgs_1.html)
Looks like a "Age Of Empires" type of game...
I'm not really into those type of games...

I know exactly what it is. I wanna know what people think of it. I've read mixed reviews, some say it's meh, others say it's amazing

LiNuX
08-08-2008, 09:47 PM
never played it - reminds me of a game i used to play at my cousins house when i was a kid - also a strategy game - forgot the name

Samus-Fan
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Oh, yea I have it on the 360. I think I will have to say that it is the best RTS I have ever played, even the console version.
The controls are amazing, a lot of upgrades, and a pretty quick learning curve.
And when they say that there are 3 different races to choose from, they don't mean just different names. Like, the giant red walkers [Heirarchy] don't really use buildings to make units or defend. They send little guys out to call for walkers, and then they make the units as they walk into a warzone.

The blue robots [Novus] are quite the opposite. They are more of a build up a lot of defenses, and then march into war. They can make units quick and cheap, but they are only really good in numbers. You can't just send like 5 out and hope to get results. They use buildings, but the structures must be build withen a raduis of a flow condult, which send electricity to power things. Defend these at all costs, if one goes down, anything built withen its radius is shut down.

The green odder looking ones [Masari] are totally different then the others. They don't have fancy walkers or robots, they are all people. One unit might get some pretty good results, while it isn't worth sending 50 out at one time. The do have buildings that rely on nothing, however, their money system is different then both races. Theirs take a little bit more time to collect. These are the sideline people. They will wait until both races are weak, and then send out some troopers to both bases.

So the game has different races that will keep you occupied just learning the best stradegy to use them, but if you happen to get bored, there is also a campaign that will make you run for your money. Very difficult. I'm beating it on Easy and am stuck about halfway.

All in All, I say you made a good decision in buying it. Hope you like it as much as I have

The game

EpsilonX
08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I'm somewhat familiar with how different the factions are. I watched an interview with the creators.

Get this. I got it brand new from amazon.com (not a vendor) for $9. I couldn't pass that up. And if it's some sort of trick, amazon would send a replacement copy (they're cool like that)

so i'm stoked.

Does anyone know the requirements for pc vs 360 online play? If you don't need to pay extra i'll take you on samus-fan. haha

Samus-Fan
08-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Ha, I don't think the PC has any pay. But the xBox does. If I had a one day card code, I would take you on. My gold membership has expired, so I need a new card

EpsilonX
08-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Ha, I don't think the PC has any pay. But the xBox does. If I had a one day card code, I would take you on. My gold membership has expired, so I need a new card

Well I read somewhere that you need a live membership to play vs 360, but that wasn't for universe at war. I don't remember what it was for.