PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Mac R.I.P

jakncoke
08-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Comedian Bernie Mac died at Northwestern Memorial hospital early Saturday morning, according to his publicist, Danica Smith. He was 50.

"Actor/ comedian Bernie Mac passed away this morning from complications due to pneumonia in a Chicago area hospital," Smith said in a statement. "No other details are available at this time. We ask that his family's privacy continues to be respected."
» Click to enlarge image
Comedian Bernie Mac, whose career began in Chicago's comedy clubs, died at Northwestern Memorial hospital early Saturday morning, according to Sun-Times columnist Stella Foster. He was 50.
(AP file)

RELATED STORIES
Bernie Mac filmography Stella Foster: Get well, Bernie Obama to Mac: Clean it up YouTube: Watch clips of Bernie Mac's comedy

Sun-Times columnist Stella Foster said that she received calls early Saturday morning from a close friend of the Mac family, confirming the reports of Mac's death.

The columnist also said she was deeply saddened to receive such a phone call just an hour after Mac was pronounced dead.

"It brought tears to my eyes because Bernie Mac has always been my all-time favorite entertainer and comedian. It pains me to have to report that," Foster said during a phone interview on Saturday morning.

On Friday, a spokeswoman for the actor, whose real name is, Bernard McCullough, said that he had been responding well to treatment for the illness.

Smith said Thursday in a statement that Mac's condition is ''stable.'' Smith first announced Aug. 1 that Mac was hospitalized in Chicago.

Smith said Mac's pneumonia wasn't related to an inflammatory lung disease Mac also had. That condition was in remission since 2005.

Foster noted that last weekend several web sites reported wrongly that the comedian died.

Mac made waves last month with off-color jokes during a fundraiser for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The comedian starred in the critically acclaimed Fox television series ''The Bernie Mac Show.'' His film credits include roles in the ''Ocean's Eleven'' franchise.

Foster says she was remembers Bernie's comedic beginnings through his show, "Midnight Mac," which aired for four shows on HBO and was taped in Chicago in 1995.

"It was a variety entertainment show," she said, "He even had dancers called Macaroni's. That was my first exposure to how talented Bernie Mac was. And after that show, that's when Hollywood started beating down his door."

Mac started his comedy career at age 8, with a standup performance at a church dinner. In 1977, at age 20, he took that act to comedy clubs in Chicago.

His film career started with a small role as a club doorman in the Damon Wayans movie "Mo' Money" in 1992. Mac went on to star in the "Ocean's Eleven" franchise with Brad Pitt and George Clooney and his turn with Ashton Kutcher in 2005's "Guess Who?" — a remake of the Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn 1967 classic "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" — topped the box office.

Mac also had starring roles in "Bad Santa," "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" and "Transformers."

The comedian drew critical and popular acclaim with his Fox television series "The Bernie Mac Show," which aired more than 100 episodes from 2001 to 2006.

The series about a man's adventures raising his sister's three children, won a Peabody Award in 2002. At the time, judges wrote they chose the sitcom for transcending "race and class while lifting viewers with laughter, compassion — and cool."

The show garnered Golden Globe and Emmy nominations for Mac. He also was nominated for a Grammy award for best comedy album in 2001 along with his "The Original Kings of Comedy" co-stars, Steve Harvey, D.L. Hughley and Cedric The Entertainer.

In 2007, Mac told David Letterman on CBS' "Late Show" that he planned to retire soon.

"I'm going to still do my producing, my films, but I want to enjoy my life a little bit," Mac told Letterman. "I missed a lot of things, you know. I was a street performer for two years. I went into clubs in 1977."

Mac was born Bernard Jeffrey McCullough on Oct. 5, 1957, in Chicago. He grew up on the city's South Side, living with his mother and grandparents. His grandfather was the deacon of a Baptist church.

In his 2004 memoir, "Maybe You Never Cry Again," Mac wrote about having a poor childhood — eating bologna for dinner — and a strict, no-nonsense upbringing.

Mac's mother died of cancer when he was 16. In his book, Mac said she was a support for him and told him he would surprise everyone when he grew up.

"Woman believed in me," he wrote. "She believed in me long before I believed."

The actor's upcoming movies include "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" starring Ben Stiller, Chris Rock and David Schwimmer; and "Soul Men" with Samuel L. Jackson and Isaac Hayes.

http://media1.suntimes.com/multimedia/080908mac.jpg_20080809_06_09_31_12-116-165.imageContent

r.i.p ;(, this is just sucky news to pass along.

Trunks
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
That sucks.... I thought pneumonia was curable though....

Iceskater101
08-09-2008, 12:25 PM
wow I am shocked
that sucks
RIP!

LiNuX
08-09-2008, 12:30 PM
WHAT? he was still young and i loved the bernie mac show...all his jokes were always funny

RIP... :( very sucky news

Trunks
08-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Seriously though... pneumonia is curable wtf happened..

jakncoke
08-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Seriously though... pneumonia is curable wtf happened..

lots of ppl die from that it each year, it can't be as curable as your thinking..not to mention there's many versions and we don't know which one he had.

LiNuX
08-09-2008, 12:37 PM
In one of the oddest extended rumors in some time, the Internet was abuzz with the rumor of Bernie Mac's death. Bernie Mac's death was supposed to be from pneumonia and an inflammatory lung disease, and had been speculated for almost a week. However, real reports soon surfaced that Bernie Mac's death had not occurred, and that Bernie Mac would recover. In fact, as soon as a few hours ago, speculation was that Bernie Mac would be out of the hospital in the next few weeks. But sadly, it might be that this speculation is wrong as well. For new reports of Bernie Mac's death may actually be accurate.

Several hours ago, Google had reports that Bernie Mac would recover from his sickness. But yet just recently, a report from the Associated Press only says that "Bernie Mac's publicist says the actor and comedian has died." Now more reports are coming in that Bernie Mac's death at the age of 50 is confirmed- a final tragic end to an already weird and heartbreaking story filled with unusual twists and turns that only the Internet age could provide.

The Bernie Mac death story began when he was hospitalized on August 3'rd for phenomena. Soon after, rumors of his death swirled all over the Internet and other news sources, and the question "Is Bernie Mac dead?" was popular on Google Trends for days. Stories were posted about whether Mac was going to die or if he was already dead.

Finally, Mac's representative, Danica Smith, quelled those rumors by saying Mac was alive and expected to make a full recovery. Smith said Mac was "responding well to treatments."

Mac had a condition called sarcoidosis, in which inflammation of tissue around the lungs can be caused and can be very dangerous. However, reports up to about a few hours ago said Mac was on the mend and would soon recover.

First, everyone said Mac was going to die, and then everyone was starting to say Mac would soon recover. In the first case, the press and speculators were crudely wrong- and now, it appears these speculators were tragically wrong. But how did they get things so wrong this time and why did Mac die so soon after he looked to be out of the woods? These questions will take up much time in the next few weeks.

source: Bernie Mac's Death is for Real This Time - Associated Content (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/942135/bernie_macs_death_is_for_real_this.html)

that article is very confusing...goes in and out - still have to wait for more news to be published to fully believe in this

jakncoke
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
It's all over the web, sadly it's real. A little more about Bernie Mac, apparently he had a disease

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/health/chi-sarcoidosis,0,5455872.story)

souljaa
08-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I just heard about this :(..Couldn't believe it when I first saw it...Really sucks..He was actually funny..

rukisuto
08-09-2008, 10:21 PM
My boyfriend told me a couple hours ago.
How sad, it's horrible.
He shouldn't have died, he was still pretty young.

Trunks
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
lots of ppl die from that it each year, it can't be as curable as your thinking..not to mention there's many versions and we don't know which one he had.

You think that he would have one of the best doctors.... I know I would if I was rich.... I still don't see how he died from it. pneumonia is curable, some types of it can cured by just a couple of pills and others with a shot. So they could of tried that.... The pills cure pneumonia if it's caused by bacteria. So then their is Virus, parasites and fungi. Well, you can find a lot of parasites by just looking at blood on a tab. You can't really get fungi, unless your white blood count is low, use of drugs or have a disease such as aids. So what is left, a Virus....

The doctors had to have known that it was pneumonia, because of the fluid in the lungs. I think the only not treatable type pneumonia is SCARS. Which if he had, couldn't he afford a lung transplant. I mean you don't just wait up one day and have pneumonia and only last a few hours. It normally takes weeks before it starts to get worse.... So I don't understand what happened.
edit:
Sure, I'm no doctor, but from what I read, they should be able to do test to find out which kind it is. They could rule out parasites and fungi through blood test. Their is still a lot to go with, but as he gets worse, the symptoms show more....

Edit again. :

With the advent of modern microbiology, classification based upon the causative microorganism became possible. Determining which microorganism is causing an individual's pneumonia is an important step in deciding treatment type and length. Sputum cultures, blood cultures, tests on respiratory secretions, and specific blood tests are used to determine the microbiologic classification. Because such laboratory testing typically takes several days, microbiologic classification is usually not possible at the time of initial diagnosis.

So for the test that take several days to complete, don't worry about those ones first. Do the test that take a few hours, if it's not them then you narrowed it down. You think the doctors would guess what type it was before he died.... Unless they did and failed miserably... I don't know, but this is giving me a headache.