PDA

View Full Version : Rams star Jackson a no-show for first day of camp

Trunks
08-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Jackson's agent, Eugene Parker, turned down an offer Friday afternoon that the team said would have put Jackson in the top tier at his position in terms of pay.

Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt's said, "We will not be negotiating while he's out of camp."

Coach Scott Linehan had anticipated a holdout Thursday when Jackson informed him he would not be on the team charter flight from St. Louis, although he didn't relay those fears until after the first practice.

"When he said he wasn't going to make the trip, let's be honest, I knew something was going on," Linehan said. "I know we've had a lot of dialogue with his representative and I know it's been fairly positive from what I've been told."

Both Zygmunt and Linehan have said getting a contract extension for Jackson was a priority. Zygmunt said the team approached Jackson about a longterm deal shortly after last season, but talks were delayed when the running back switched agents last month.

Zygmunt said the team has made several contract offers, and declined to say how far apart the parties remained. Parker told him after turning down the offer that Jackson would not be in camp Friday, but Zygmunt was unclear how much longer the holdout would last without a deal.

Jackson became a holdout after missing the initial team meeting and the Rams held their first practice without him Friday afternoon at Concordia University, their new training site after three years of staying home in St. Louis.

Jackson is in the final season of a five-year contract he signed after the Rams drafted him in the first round in 2004. He has had three straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons after totaling 1,002 last year despite injuries that sidelined him for four games.

Quarterback Marc Bulger staged a brief holdout last year while negotiating a new deal. He was a no-show for a mandatory team meeting but was on the field for the first day of training camp after getting a six-year, $65 million contract.

The Rams also were negotiating with Donnie Avery, a second-round pick in this year's draft and the lone unsigned pick. Avery was the first wide receiver taken in the draft after a run on offensive linemen, which likely factors into the impasse.

"All I can say is we offered him more money than the pick behind him in this year's second round, a little less money than the guy ahead of him and more money than the same slot a year ago," Zygmunt said. "I don't know what to tell you."

Linehan addressed the one-year suspension of defensive end Claude Wroten on Thursday for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, saying the third-year player might have had trouble making the team. The Rams used the second pick of the draft on end Chris Long.

"We really thought Claude was going to be in a battle to make this team going into camp," Linehan said. "What the suspension does is it eliminates him from the mix."

Why does Jackson need more money..... He has enough to last hit entire like probably..... Does he plan on buying a island or something. What will make me laugh is after training camp they give him the pay raise then he plays the first game... Then he gets hurt, because he wasn't prepared.... I called it....

jakncoke
08-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Are you kidding me Trunks? If the rest of stars get paid what they deserve, why should Jackson sit off in la la land getting underpaid when he's clearly one of the top RB's of the league, if they can pay and average QB like Bulger 65 million over 6 years they surely can pay a talented played like Jackson what's he deserves.

Trunks
08-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Are you kidding me Trunks? If the rest of stars get paid what they deserve, why should Jackson sit off in la la land getting underpaid when he's clearly one of the top RB's of the league, if they can pay and average QB like Bulger 65 million over 6 years they surely can pay a talented played like Jackson what's he deserves.

He's throwing a fit over it though. He should at least go to the training camp, but refuse to play. Because of him crying over money, hes not going to get in shape......

Samus-Fan
08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Yea, what a baby.
Makes more then the rest of us, doesn't he realize that?

And I bet on that too, Trunks.

jakncoke
08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Yea, what a baby.
Makes more then the rest of us, doesn't he realize that?

And I bet on that too, Trunks.

of course he does, but being a middle american and a pro athlete are 2 different things. athletes get paid more because of there god given talents...

He's throwing a fit over it though. He should at least go to the training camp, but refuse to play. Because of him crying over money, hes not going to get in shape......
Yes he will. Do you think athletes like Jackson just sit at home drinking beer and eating pizza while sitting on the couch? No they work out, football is an all year job, if they don't they'll be passed by on the depth chart

This is simply business economics, he out performed his contract so why does he not deserve a raise? This happens all the time at the top level of sports and most of the time rightfully so...in this case rightfully. If you 2 or any of the other million americans who complain about sports salary's and call sports figures for demanding more money performed better your wage in RL you guys wouldn't think twice about complaining, just because he does it in a different way doesn't make it any different. Maybe he should just do what you do in RL, don't like your wage then leave...would love to see those POS Rams play without Jackson, lulz top 5 pick again.

rukisuto
08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
This is simply business economics, he out performed his contract so why does he not deserve a raise? This happens all the time at the top level of sports and most of the time rightfully so...in this case rightfully. If you 2 or any of the other million americans who complain about sports salary's and call sports figures for demanding more money performed better your wage in RL you guys wouldn't think twice about complaining, just because he does it in a different way doesn't make it any different. Maybe he should just do what you do in RL, don't like your wage then leave...would love to see those POS Rams play without Jackson, lulz top 5 pick again.

Makes A LOT of sense.
So he'll either get his raise or leave.
And then sign with someone who's willing to pay top dollar for his talents... no?

jakncoke
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Makes A LOT of sense.
So he'll either get his raise or leave.
And then sign with someone who's willing to pay top dollar for his talents... no?

yup basically, if he doesn't get a deal done and doesn't report he'd technically have to wait till the FA period next year which is March IIRC, but that's really unlikely..probably less than 5% that happens. Even if he doesn't get a deal he'll unhappily play this year to let potential signers see he him

rukisuto
08-14-2008, 10:50 AM
yup basically, if he doesn't get a deal done and doesn't report he'd technically have to wait till the FA period next year which is March IIRC, but that's really unlikely..probably less than 5% that happens. Even if he doesn't get a deal he'll unhappily play this year to let potential signers see he him

I don't see why they don't just give him a raise.
Happy player = good playing.
Mad player = not so good playing.

At least, that's my reasoning.
lol.

conman1000
08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
He rejected an offer that put him in the top tier in the league? Wow, then there's no excuse for this, he's not the best running back in the league, but he is good, so he needs to accept that and just take the money and show that everyone else is wrong.

Trunks
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
of course he does, but being a middle american and a pro athlete are 2 different things. athletes get paid more because of there god given talents...

Yes he will. Do you think athletes like Jackson just sit at home drinking beer and eating pizza while sitting on the couch? No they work out, football is an all year job, if they don't they'll be passed by on the depth chart

What I am saying he's not going to be in the best shape that he could be.....