PDA

View Full Version : Overlord 2(PS3, 360, PC)

jakncoke
08-14-2008, 04:29 AM
August 13, 2008 - Overlord, an original game by Codemasters, won over fans with its creative blend of humor and Pikmin-style gameplay and then went on to sell over a million copies. The call for a sequel was heard loud and clear and now Triumph Studios is hard at work with the title due out in 2009 for Xbox 360, PS3 and Games for Windows PC. To go along with this announcement, Codemasters has also revealed Overlord Dark Legend for Wii and Overlord Minions for DS. For details and screenshots on those titles, head over to stories here and here respectively.

Overlord II, "massively increases the scope of the original concept," according to Lennart Sas, director and Overlord lead at Triumph Studios. The game introduces a new Overlord, hinted at in the final scene of Overlord: Raising Hell, for a clash between him and a Roman-inspired empire which has plans to root out all magic and take over the world. The game moves beyond the fantasy realm of the first to something closer to our own, allowing the game's humor and satire to hit closer to home. Politics, environmental issues and more are up for parody in this game, though we wouldn't be surprised if a fart joke or two slip in.

New environments and new beasts are coming.
With the Glorious Empire as the foe and a new overlord brought into the fold, you can be sure you'll be seeing a more diverse set of environments. Sas told IGN, "We have new lands, from the icy (but rather festive) Nordberg where minions face up to vicious seals, to a new Magic Sanctuary Domain, where the magical creatures have retreated from the onslaught of the Empire, to the homelands and cities of the Glorious Empire itself."

The first Overlord game relied on a gameplay mechanic where you directly controlled the overlord who then orders around small legions of minions to solve puzzles and attack enemies. This style of game returns, but is expanded and improved for the sequel. Sas tells us that, "from the Netherworld you rise to gather an army of loyal Minions that are more destructive and much smarter than before -- now they can do even more things for their master; such as riding mounts, using war machines and sailing warships in world-changing battles." He also told us the team has "greatly improved" the controls and visuals to make the game even more attractive to a broad audience.

Minions can now ride mounts.
"We're really excited about shifting the world to a new era where a Roman-inspired Empire rises as the arch-enemy of the Overlord," says Lennart Sas, "which leads to an epic clash between the regimented forces of a sprawling state and the faster, harder, more manic minion horde."

http://i36.tinypic.com/2qxot2f.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/28bqqtd.jpg

Surprised the first sold over a million, I thought it flopped hardcore.

Trunks
08-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Who the hell is codemasters? That's a gaming company?

rukisuto
08-14-2008, 10:04 AM
The pics make me laugh, lol.
I never heard of the first one, but it looks interesting.

jakncoke
08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Who the hell is codemasters? That's a gaming company?

surprised you've never heard of them.

Link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codemasters)

Trunks
08-14-2008, 01:37 PM
I never heard of any of there games either... I watch codemonkeys, if that has to do with anything lol..

jakncoke
08-15-2008, 06:53 AM
I never heard of any of there games either... I watch codemonkeys, if that has to do with anything lol..

It doesn't but codemonkey's ftw, sucks I missed season 2. speaking of codemasters, I think my favorite game from them is Grid. another thought about codemasters they are basically the biggest independent dev studio that hasn't been bought up by a bigger corporation

LiNuX
08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
The pics make me laugh, lol.
I never heard of the first one, but it looks interesting.

i havent seen or heard of the first one either - but overlord is like a real world so yea, the word is there, but not linked to any games in my head

the first screenshot made me laugh lol, they could have done much better with the graphics since its coming out for the three best gaming stations - ps3, 360, pc...graphics looks like they fit the wii or even ps2

rukisuto
08-15-2008, 02:40 PM
i havent seen or heard of the first one either - but overlord is like a real world so yea, the word is there, but not linked to any games in my head

the first screenshot made me laugh lol, they could have done much better with the graphics since its coming out for the three best gaming stations - ps3, 360, pc...graphics looks like they fit the wii or even ps2

I think it's cool how they stuck some humor in it.
At least the graphics ARE better than the version they're releasing for the Wii.

LiNuX
08-15-2008, 02:41 PM
At least the graphics ARE better than the version they're releasing for the Wii.

oh its coming out on the wii too? heh...like a tone down for that then

Samus-Fan
08-15-2008, 02:42 PM

The Wii's versions graphics suck. Couldn't they atleast lower the quality of this one instead of having some crappy spin-off?

jakncoke
08-15-2008, 02:45 PM
oh its coming out on the wii too? heh...like a tone down for that then

the wii version is a different game then this one.

LiNuX
08-15-2008, 02:46 PM
the wii version is a different game then this one.

oh..makes sense to why you didn't it put in the thread title then

jakncoke
08-15-2008, 02:48 PM
oh..makes sense to why you didn't it put in the thread title then

there's this thing called reading...it's pretty neat from what I've heard. that's why I post the articles for information purposes but it seems I should just give up on that cause no one reads them on this forum.

LiNuX
08-15-2008, 02:50 PM
there's this thing called reading...it's pretty neat from what I've heard. that's why I post the articles for information purposes but it seems I should just give up on that cause no one reads them on this forum.

I've read about the other two overload versions but ruki's and samus's posts confused me when they said this game coming out on wii as well - i only assumed they were talking about overlord 2

rukisuto
08-15-2008, 02:52 PM
I've read about the other two overload versions but ruki's and samus's posts confused me when they said this game coming out on wii as well - i only assumed they were talking about overlord 2

I said a different version was coming out for the Wii.

LiNuX
08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
I said a different version was coming out for the Wii.

today is not my day to comprehend posts then...i'll be back later lol - and that july npd thread is also getting to my head.

Shixx
08-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Overlord was pretty Cool. I'll be picking up 2, for sure.
Code masters Made a pretty good MMORPG Called RF online,
Published Lord of the rings online.. they're pretty big.
Although the majority of their games suck.

Scott
08-19-2008, 07:00 AM
I thought the first flopped too. Well I better get the first one before this is released because one this is released the first will go up in price.

Flab-Ender
08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I have overlord for the 360 and I don't like it.

Veriaset
08-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Looks great and I liked the first one but it was WAYYY to repetitive so it got boring quick. I hope this one has some more content instead of the same boring click here click there stuff plus the graphics seem to have had an uphrade wihich is nice.

RaiDae
09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I rented this for a week and it was pretty good. Kinda thinking it's not worth buying though. The re-play value doesn't look to be exceptional and there doesn't seem to be many hours of gameplay. :s Does the plot progress further from "take over the world. you're gonna die." or is that it the whole way through?
Very funny though - the "camp" elves were awesome.
For some strange reason i could never find how to buy the damned bed that the mistress wanted. too late now though.

Which is better in your opinion, overlord 2 or overlord?

Raoul
11-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Overlord is really a funny game and your minions are also funny, but they are really helpful when you need them. This game reminds me a lot about fable, because you hit and kill creatures and you get better equipment as you progress in the game.