PDA

View Full Version : I hate when parks close rides

EpsilonX
08-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Seriously. I went to disney, pumped to be able to ride body wars and extraTERRORestrial alien encounter, and BOTH WERE FRIGGIN CLOSED! I LOVED body wars. My mom hated it, but oh what I would give to just be able to go on that ride again.

And I just looked up, they took Back to the Future out of Universal Studios and replaced it with the Simpsons ride...Back to the Future was my favorite ride there!

At least they still kept Jaws, Men in Black, and Jurassic Park, but they did remove some other stuff like the backlot tour, KING KONG, the boneyard, and alfred hitchcock thing that tells you how he made his movies.

Does anybody else have any childhood favorite rides that are now closed down and you're unhappy about?

Djdoubt03
08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I used to be a Ride Supervisor for the AnacondA a roller coaster at King's Dominion, in Virginia.

I hate it also. But most of the time it's for your safety. Sometimes though it's because not enough employees that are trained on that ride show up to work. Federal and State regs require a certain # of ride operators that are properly trained to operate a ride. If someone does not show up it can force a ride to close down or not even open for the day. Working at a Park is not all fun. I was trained at most of the rides and positions in the park, if I already worked my shift I could be called upon to operate another ride. Some times my day would start at 7:00am and end at 2:00am and I'd have to be back at 7:00am the next day.

As for rides that are removed. Most are actually sold to another park and are opened with another name (also happens if someone dies on a ride). A lot has to do with the number of daily riders, if that number is consistently below a preset number. The park decides to sell it off because in their eyes it cost more to operate that they are making from the people who still ride.

I'll provide more amusement park insider info if you want, just ask...lot of crazy stuff happens at parks lol.

Samus-Fan
08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I dunno...
I only went to Disney once.
Buzz lightyear shooting game still there? That was my favorite.

I was mad when Ravine Flyer 2 was closed because of weather at Waldameer.
They opened it with 10 minutes to spare. Downpouring, and dark, but no lightning. Best ride of my life.

EpsilonX
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I dunno...
I only went to Disney once.
Buzz lightyear shooting game still there? That was my favorite.

I was mad when Ravine Flyer 2 was closed because of weather at Waldameer.
They opened it with 10 minutes to spare. Downpouring, and dark, but no lightning. Best ride of my life.

wtf is ravine flyer 2? I haven't been to waldameer in ages, i remember they had a crappy wooden coaster, that spinny thing, and an excellent water park (the best water park i've ever been to actually)

LiNuX
08-14-2008, 11:39 PM
i think they are shutting down the Cyclone roller coaster in coney island lol - brings back a lot of memories - got on it the first time at the age of 7 with my dad, my dad lost one of his glass lens lol - he didn't notice until we were ready to leave Coney Island

i also hate when they close stuff down - they are supposed to close down coney island altogether this year - i've spent so much time there. Will definitely miss it.

Samus-Fan
08-14-2008, 11:42 PM
wtf is ravine flyer 2? I haven't been to waldameer in ages, i remember they had a crappy wooden coaster, that spinny thing, and an excellent water park (the best water park i've ever been to actually)

The best rollar coaster ever!
It was brand new for '08
I'm going to that special rollar coaster event in Waldameer this weekend. Free Pop!

Djdoubt03
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
i think they are shutting down the Cyclone roller coaster in coney island lol - brings back a lot of memories - got on it the first time at the age of 7 with my dad, my dad lost one of his glass lens lol - he didn't notice until we were ready to leave Coney Island

i also hate when they close stuff down - they are supposed to close down coney island altogether this year - i've spent so much time there. Will definitely miss it.

My father and I were born in NY, however I didn't live there long at all. I have always wanted to make a trip to Coney Island. Even more so after I saw the move "The Warriors" (loved the game also). What a shame I'll never be able to make a trip in the next few years :(

rukisuto
08-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Man, I haven't been to Universal in years.
The Jurassic Park ride scrared the bajeesus out of me in the end, lol.

I don't really have any childhood rides to miss because I've only be to disney a couple times in my life.

EpsilonX
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I'll try to find some youtube videos of those rides I liked so much, see if you guys remember em

YouTube - Body Wars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQD6vm9__aE&feature=related)

YouTube - Back To The Future: The Ride (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QVlJ7X0IXU)

YouTube - The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter pt.1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTk9Lnuo8Ww)
YouTube - The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter pt.2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1EKgiHMSg&feature=related)

YouTube - Universal Studio's Kongfrontation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN1M7b48iLs)

LiNuX
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
i've never been on any of them lol - all ring a bell though from vids like that and i think i saw a few in commercials

KittyCat72
08-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Nope... not really. I've only been on rides a few times. I went to Holiday World twice with the band. My favorite ride was the Voyage.

MissLEGENDARY
08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I went to Disney a few years ago. There was so much to do and we were only there for one day.