PDA

View Full Version : Playing XBox 360 on a laptop

squiddy3000
08-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm heading off to Uni in September and will want to take my 360 and laptop with me. However, I don't have an LCD monitor to play my 360 on and I don't want to take a TV as it would require me to pay for a TV license. I've been looking all over the net for a way to play my 360 on a laptop but haven't been able to source any current products that would allow me to do this. I've got a Dell XPS 1530 and a premium XBox 360.

I've looked into getting a TV Tuner, but most of them have a one second delay lag between the console and laptop. Does anyone know of a product that may help?

LiNuX
08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
i am not sure its that easy - it is probably possible but you'd probably need a few converting wires and a software that can recognize the xbox and let you see it - and so far, I haven't heard of a thing that can do that with the xbox :(

i know there are security systems that allow you to do that, and they use similar type of wiring and software, you'd have to look for one that's compatible with the 360 though, and unfortunately, i have no idea where to look for stuff like that, you can try google but i wouldn't be surprised if you got a bunch of irrelevant links

jakncoke
08-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I personally don't know how but I do know many ppl that play PS3/360/Wii on PC monitors.

LiNuX
08-17-2008, 03:51 PM
I personally don't know how but I do know many ppl that play PS3/360/Wii on PC monitors.

that's different, pc monitors can be easily removed and connected to another source, converters are also easier to find

but a laptop LCD is built into the laptop car and generally, you can't remove the lcd from the graphics card and connect it to something else, the connectors are too small and most of the time the connectors are custom fitted.

laptops and desktop monitors are two different deals - you can connect external monitors to your laptop but trying to use your lcd as a monitor for something external is more difficult

jakncoke
08-17-2008, 03:58 PM
never mind then I misread what he posted.

squiddy3000
08-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, using a monitor for a 360/PS3 is qiute easily done with HDMI or other VGA ports. The thing with laptops are that the HDMI is output only and not input. If anyone else has any ideas, I would like to hear them.

LiNuX
08-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, using a monitor for a 360/PS3 is qiute easily done with HDMI or other VGA ports. The thing with laptops are that the HDMI is output only and not input. If anyone else has any ideas, I would like to hear them.

thats with all wires with the laptop that deals with monitor, not just hdmi, you should look for a software that can turn the output video port into input one OR a software that allows you to open its program and view as an input device - kind of like how a DVD works with the computer

speaking of optical drives - see if there is an external PCI card for the laptop - they look like the network adapters that allows external hardware to be plugged in and whatnot

i'll try to help you look for it, could be useful to me later on too lol

squiddy3000
08-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Okey kokey. I've been looking for ages for something that can help me with this. I think you can use an external USB capture device for the 360, but I'm not sure what the quality would be like and if it would be worth spending the money on. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to waste the HD screen of the laptop.

LiNuX
08-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Okey kokey. I've been looking for ages for something that can help me with this. I think you can use an external USB capture device for the 360, but I'm not sure what the quality would be like and if it would be worth spending the money on. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to waste the HD screen of the laptop.

usb isn't too great for data transfer - they used to be the best back in the day but now ether cables, hdmi cables, and even component cables took over - i wouldn't recommend trying to view 360 game graphics through an USB Cable, you won't get great picture

squiddy3000
08-17-2008, 05:17 PM
It's becoming more and more frustrating the longer I look. If I can't find anything and can't be bothered to buy an LCD monitor I might just take a CRT monitor and use a VGA/AV convertor that you buy from Microsoft.