PDA

View Full Version : 16 Year Old drops out of High School to play Guitar Hero

Scott
08-19-2008, 07:49 AM
In fact, young Mr. Peebles is dropping out of high school... in order to focus on Guitar Hero full time. Peebles hopes to join the small but growing crew of players looking to make gaming a job. Citing his victories in Guitar Hero tournaments, which include "gift certificates, gaming equipment, and chicken sandwiches," Peebles thinks he has the chops to play competitively and earn actual money in the process. As the story notes, top gamers on the competitive circuit can earn up to $80,000 a year (though $25,000 is more common). Peebles, of course, can count his 52 Chick-fil-A combo meals toward that total.

Full Story here (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/101746)

He'll be working at fast food joints for the rest of his life.

jakncoke
08-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Although he is dumb thinking he'll making a living off of gaming, dropping out doesn't automatically=your life will suck and you'll be working for minimum wage for the rest of your life. You just have to work your ass off to get somewhere in life.

Trunks
08-19-2008, 08:56 AM
He's dumb.... He should of at least finished highschool... If this doesn't work out for him which it probably won't... He will have to go back to get anywhere in life.

jakncoke
08-19-2008, 09:00 AM
He's dumb.... He should of at least finished highschool... If this doesn't work out for him which it probably won't... He will have to go back to get anywhere in life.

No he won't, he can get his GED(which he should regardless if he succeeds or not) and go into work programs where he can start off as a low guy in a factory and work himself up into a respectable pay grade, go into the military, or get into a program that will pay for his college and open avenues for better paying jobs. People that think if you drop out your life is over simply are naive and don't know how many things can still be done with just a GED.

Trunks
08-19-2008, 09:03 AM
No he won't, he can get his GED(which he should regardless if he succeeds or not) and go into work programs where he can start off as a low guy in a factory and work himself up into a respectable pay grade, go into the military, or get into a program that will pay for his college and open avenues for better paying jobs. People that think if you drop out your life is over simply are naive and don't know how many things can still be done with just a GED.

To me is seems like you are telling me that it's easier to get farther in life without a high school education...

Samus-Fan
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
No, he is telling you that if you do drop-out, there are things you can do to get ok pay.
Finish all your edge-a-muh-cation and you'll be able to get better pay.

jakncoke
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
To me is seems like you are telling me that it's easier to get farther in life without a high school education...

No way it's defiantly harder and fully recommend anyone to finish HS, but my point is you can get just as far if you drop out and get your GED, you just need more desire to succeed in life. Another thought they need to make the GED test harder, I didn't even study and I passed every test except the English test on the first try. The person that told me my score said I would of passed the first time if I made my essay 1 paragraph longer...I was like how freaking stupid.

Trunks
08-19-2008, 09:12 AM
No way it's defiantly harder and fully recommend anyone to finish HS, but my point is you can get just as far if you drop out and get your GED, you just need more desire to succeed in life. Another thought they need to make the GED test harder, I didn't even study and I passed every test except the English test on the first try. The person that told me my score said I would of passed the first time if I made my essay 1 paragraph longer...I was like how freaking stupid.

Okay so are you saying if two people apply for a job.... One says he dropped out of high school and got a GED. The other says he finished high school and got a diploma. I bet the high who finished high school would get it. He defiantly should of finished high school first.

jakncoke
08-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Okay so are you saying if two people apply for a job.... One says he dropped out of high school and got a GED. The other says he finished high school and got a diploma. I bet the high who finished high school would get it. He defiantly should of finished high school first.

Well it really depends on the boss but normally I'd say yes, but you also have to factor in experience, if the GED has more he defiantly should get the job over the HS graduate, and lets not forget calling past employees if the GED former boss speak good things such as hard working and on the time all the time and the HS graduate former boss says well he's a good worker but he slacks off and he is sometimes late...I defiantly would hire the GED guy

Trunks
08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Well it really depends on the boss but normally I'd say yes, but you also have to factor in experience, if the GED has more he defiantly should get the job over the HS graduate, and lets not forget calling past employees if the GED former boss speak good things such as hard working and on the time all the time and the HS graduate former boss says well he's a good worker but he slacks off and he is sometimes late...I defiantly would hire the GED guy

If you go by no references and there applications are basically the same except for the fact that one went to college and one didn't. Then the HS grad would get the job. Which proving me point that graduating HS would be easier....

jakncoke
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
If you go by no references and there applications are basically the same except for the fact that one went to college and one didn't. Then the HS grad would get the job. Which proving me point that graduating HS would be easier....

In this example are you saying the GED example went to college and the HS grad just has a diploma? And I already said graduating HS would lead to an easier life, this whole discussion started when you and scott said it was doom and gloom for drop outs and they'd live a shi1tty life automatically

Trunks
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
In this example are you saying the GED example went to college and the HS grad just has a diploma? And I already said graduating HS would lead to an easier life, this whole discussion started when you and scott said it was doom and gloom for drop outs and they'd live a shi1tty life automatically

ummm no... I said he should go back to HS if he wants to get anywhere in life. I never said that he was going to fail and live in a box.....

jakncoke
08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
ummm no... I said he should go back to HS if he wants to get anywhere in life. I never said that he was going to fail and live in a box.....

I never insinuated you did, a ****ty life doesn't= that imo...that's beyond ****ty. a ****ty life imo would be living minimum wage jobs in crappy houses/or living off the system in public housing

Trunks
08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I never insinuated you did, a ****ty life doesn't= that imo...that's beyond ****ty. a ****ty life imo would be living minimum wage jobs in crappy houses/or living off the system in public housing
Really now?

I see the complete opposite of what you said...

jakncoke
08-19-2008, 09:44 AM
hello there, you realize I bolded the last for reason,right? cause that was the section I was replying to. And yes you did go doom and gloom when you said he would have to go back to HS to get anymore and that to me is doom and gloom, but whatever you have your opinion and I have mine good day sir I am done with this topic

Trunks
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
hello there, you realize I bolded the last for reason,right? cause that was the section I was replying to.

Well if you would look past words and try to figure out what they were saying you would know. I said that to reference of
shi1tty life. If we are going by what you are saying then.

I never said that he was going to have a
shi1tty life.

MacQuarie
08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
You just have to work your ass off to get somewhere in life.

Not necessarily... Paris Hilton is an example.

Stupid rich whore. :(

jakncoke
08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Not necessarily... Paris Hilton is an example.

Stupid rich whore. :(

I'm talking real ppl though.

MacQuarie
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm talking real ppl though.

I spose with a face like that, you'd hope she's not real.

MissLEGENDARY
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
if he wanted to make gaming his job then he should have stayed in school and continued on to college...and became a developer or something along those lines. His parents need to step in.

Trunks
08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
if he wanted to make gaming his job then he should have stayed in school and continued on to college...and became a developer or something along those lines. His parents need to step in.

If he is 16 years old I think your parents have to sign you out. That's how it is in ohio though.

jakncoke
08-21-2008, 06:27 PM
In my school district you need your parents signature/ the district administration signature and a letter from employment stating they will hire you full time.

MissLEGENDARY
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
same here in NC you need parents approval. I guess his parents don't mind then. I don't see myself ever letting my little boy drop out of school to play video games. It would be amazing if he wanted to make that his career but I would rather than he went about it in a different way. Just so he would have an easier life.

LiNuX
08-21-2008, 06:45 PM
same here in NC you need parents approval. I guess his parents don't mind then. I don't see myself ever letting my little boy drop out of school to play video games. It would be amazing if he wanted to make that his career but I would rather than he went about it in a different way. Just so he would have an easier life.

i dont think his parent's even care let alone mind him dropping out lol

if i went to my parents and told them im dropping out to play any video game, they would cut me off right there from everything and force me to go lol - thankfully i never had to deal with that lol

but seriously....guitar hero - not even a real guitar? you'd have a higher chance of succeeding with a real guitar lol

MissLEGENDARY
08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm not a big fan of Guitar Hero...or Rock Band. I have only played once or twice though so maybe I'm wrong. I'm just not into that sort of thing....to me it's the equivalent of dancing and singing in front of a mirror...what's the point? I understand that a lot of people enjoy them though and I'm not saying they suck...just that they aren't for me.

Veriaset
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
In my experience you need some smarts to have coordination.

MissLEGENDARY
08-21-2008, 11:24 PM

lol so the kid who dropped out of high school to play guitar hero is smart cause he has the ability to play guitar hero well? I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on that. lol. Like I said I'm not saying it's bad game...just not my thing is all.

LiNuX
08-22-2008, 12:22 AM

lol. it takes more smarts to actually learn a real guitar - GH only has 5 finger positions and one thing you can strum compared to the dozens of placements you have on a real guitar and 6 strings to strum

i have good hand eye coordination when it comes to playing certain video games, doesn't mean i should quit my life just to pursue a goal to become the best, I dont know, Counter-strike player lol

but who knows, he could prove us all wrong and make a million

Veriaset
08-23-2008, 10:29 PM
HeHe Yeah right only the best of the best athletes and CEO's have tons of money bt I guess gamers are starting to become athletes, MLG wants to put video games into the Olympics which will never happen but hey le them have there hope:laugh:

BangkokJames
08-23-2008, 11:56 PM
i would actually watch the olympics if there was video gaming involved lol

Veriaset
08-24-2008, 02:12 PM
I watch the Olympics all the time and I still play sports and go outside so I have other reasons to watch. But I like winter Olympics more because Canada always wins hockey, BTW I'm in Canada.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I watch the Olympics all the time and I still play sports and go outside so I have other reasons to watch. But I like winter Olympics more because Canada always wins hockey, BTW I'm in Canada.

that figures its just something about the olympics that is really boring to me exept for the basketball that is always fun and the women beach volleyball is pretty hot so i don't really watch the olympics that much just here and there.

and the only game i would drop out for would be halo 3 jkjkjk

Veriaset
08-24-2008, 02:22 PM
lol My favourite to sports to watch are the long distance runs.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
that was on yesterday i think

well the marathon anyways