PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting somewhere

jakncoke
08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
BAGHDAD - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said Thursday they agree that timetables should be set for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the battle-scarred country.

Appearing together at a news conference, Rice and Zebari also mutually asserted that a final agreement between Washington and Baghdad on a a broad document spelling out the nature of any future U.S. troop presence and Washington-Baghdad relations is close to fruition, but not yet complete.

"We have agreed that some goals, some aspirational timetables for how that might unfold, are well worth having in such an agreement," Rice told reporters after meeting with Iraqi officials, including Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. The two sides had come together on a draft agreement earlier this week and Rice made an unannounced visit to Baghdad to press officials there to complete the accord.

Zebari, asked about fears expressed by neighboring countries over such a pact, said in Arabic: "This decision (agreement) is a sovereign one and Iran and other neighboring countries have the right to ask for clarifications. ... There are clear articles (that) say that Iraq will not be used as a launching pad for any aggressive acts against neighboring countries and we already did clarify this."

A key part of the U.S.-Iraqi draft agreement envisions the withdrawal of American forces from Iraq's cities by next June 30.

Said Zebari: "This agreement determines the principle provisions, requirements, to regulate the temporary presence and the time horizon, the mission of the U.S. forces."

U.S. military forces went into in Iraq in early 2003 and overthrew President Saddam Hussein and the war is now in its sixth year. There have been more than 4,100 U.S. deaths there and countless losses among Iraqis. The war looms as a key issue in the campaign in the United States to elect a successor to President Bush, with presumed Republican nominee John McCain accusing Democratic standardbearer-in-waiting Barack Obama of advocating too precipitate a withdrawal of U.S. forces from the country.

On the plane en route here, Rice had told reporters: "The negotiators have taken this very, very far. But there is no reason to believe that there is an agreement yet. There are still issues concerning exactly how our forces operate."

Her comments dampened speculation that agreement might be reached while she is in Baghdad on a several-hour visit, her first to Iraq since March, after U.S. and Iraqi officials said Wednesday that a draft document was done and awaiting approval from political leaders.

Rice displayed similar caution in the news conference with Zebari.

"Obviously, the American forces are here, coalition forces are here at the invitation of the Iraqi government," she said. "What we're trying to do is put together an agreement that protects our people, respects Iraq's sovereignty."

" ... But the goal is to have Iraqi forces responsible for the security of Iraq," Rice added. "That is the goal and that has been the goal from the beginning. " She said the military surge has worked and "we are making progress together in the defeat of Iraq's enemies of all stripes."

"We're not sitting here talking about an agreement to try to get out of a bad situation," Rice said, calling the agreement one that "builds on the success we have had in the last year. This agreement is based on success."

Zebari conceded that officials had hoped to conclude the pact earlier, but said that "it has taken us more time," citing internal political factors.

"Really, we are very, very close to closing this agreement," he said, "and as we said from the beginning, there is no hidden agenda here."

The foreign minister said the pact that U.S. and Iraqi officials are trying to finish will be presented to Iraq's Executive Council for review. "Time is of the essence," he said, "but, really, we are redoubling our efforts to bring this to a successful conclusion."

Followers of anti-American Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr criticized Rice's visit and repeated their opposition to the security agreement. Sadr's followers control 30 of the 275 seats in parliament.

Luai Smeisem, the head of the political bureau in Sadr movement, said: "We as the Sadr movement denounce this dubious visit and such timing. We reaffirm our stance of rejecting the long-term agreement. We demand the Iraqi government, and on the highest levels, not to sign this unjust agreement and we demand the withdrawal of the government as soon as possible."

Rice says US-Iraq coming together on timetables - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080821/ap_on_re_mi_ea/us_iraq)

That would nice if June 30th 2009 was actually the date but it probably won't, if it is my older cousin will only serve6 months of his 1 yr second military tour and my younger cousin probably most likely wouldn't even have to go over considering he starts basic training in November.

LiNuX
08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Condoleezza Rice says that? didn't she say something similar a few years ago lol, cuz i swear this is familiar

but anyway, hope they are right. Still, this administration is very disappointing, still dont understand why he was elected a second time lol...i think it was john kerry who got blown off or something, don't really remember, but still sad to see troops overseas after this long

MacQuarie
08-21-2008, 03:16 PM
The thing most people don't understand about the Americans not wanting to pull out the troops just because Hussein is gone and a new, democratic, government is in place is that it's not stable enough to handle security by itself just yet.

It's a brand new government, which means brand new leaders that had to smoke out the corrupt bastards of Hussein's regime. Replacing these positions with reliable, almost incorrupt figures isn't the easiest job with tribal hositilities still going on all over the country and in the capital.

It's an even harder job to recruit people into their new police force with guerillas shooting them to **** or blowing them to the sky. If they were to pull out their troops without neutralising the hostile groups trying to take power, this reborn country would decend into chaos and anarchy. These things take time, and the troops are there to do the best they can to help Iraq get back on it's feet after so many years of this insane bigot dictator's genocidal terror. Rome wasn't built in a day, and sure as ****, neither will Baghdad.

MissLEGENDARY
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
True but it's been a long time. I think something like 7 years now. It's hurting OUR economy. It's putting a strain on our country. In my opinion...it's coming to a point where it needs to be over. I'm sorry for their problems. But there are some SERIOUS problems here at home that need to be addressed before we go taking on someone elses battles.

MacQuarie
08-21-2008, 03:36 PM
The United States economy can recover, Iraq doesn't have that chance at this point in time without support. I don't agree that they should send in more troops, but instead ask United Nations to assist with peacekeepers in areas that have cooled down but still have problems. I do think they should bring back troops slowly until the government has trained a capable law enforcement agency to handle any heated situations.

conman1000
08-21-2008, 06:28 PM
But, they'll move into Afghanistan, there have been more U.S casulties there than in Iraq.

jakncoke
08-21-2008, 06:36 PM
True but it's been a long time. I think something like 7 years now. It's hurting OUR economy. It's putting a strain on our country. In my opinion...it's coming to a point where it needs to be over. I'm sorry for their problems. But there are some SERIOUS problems here at home that need to be addressed before we go taking on someone elses battles.

Yup, it's about USA packs it up and let them deal with their own problems.

MacQuarie
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Yup, it's about USA packs it up and let them deal with their own problems.

Then the tyrants would put themselves back into positions of power and guess who they'd attack? Why their invaders/liberators, (USA), whatever you want to call them.

jakncoke
08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Then the tyrants would put themselves back into positions of power and guess who they'd attack? Why their invaders/liberators, (USA), whatever you want to call them.

Not worried, In the opinion of this american I think we kicked their ass enough that we don't have to worry about for another decade.

Edit: On second thought you state that if we leave they regain power and attack us again, in the opinion of this american it doesn't matter how long we stay that's going to eventually happen anyway, you want us to have a presence in Iraq forever?

MacQuarie
08-21-2008, 09:32 PM
That's not going to happen if the USA and it's henchm... allies are the ones responsible for giving them democracy and a life where they aren't scared to leave their houses for fear of random attacks by rebels.

If you solve the problem now, it won't come back in a decade to bite you on the ass.

jakncoke
08-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Iraq and the middle east is a unfixable problem no matter what the leaders of this country say, it's a hellish place where hellish things have occurred over many centuries