PDA

View Full Version : Review Folklore: I kill for POWA!

Shixx
08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Story-
The game centers around a young blonde woman named Ellen, and a journalist named Keats, both playable characters. Together they unravel the mystery that the quaint village of Doolin hides, the mystery that can only be solved by seeking the memories of the dead in the dangerous, Folk-ridden Netherworld.
The story is interesting, a murder mystery/action/RPG fare on contacting the dead. The two characters have some interesting starts but seem just a little paper? plastic? Who knows, but the emotion one would feel isn't really existent. In the end RPG and Mystery do not go together in my opinion.

Gameplay-
in this game you Adventure in Seven Unique Realms, Each realm represents a certain aspect of human thoughts of death and desires for an afterlife. Each realm has their own Folks to battle against and absorb (using the Six axis) you shake it and attempt to "Yank" their souls or IDS.
The absorbed powers can then be used to capture or defeat the monsters that lie ahead.
over all the Gameplay is basic, button mash with your affixed spirits until your target goes red, hold the R1 and flick your controller up and you absorb a soul. That last part seems more tacked on than anything else, they could have said to tap R1 a bit or something else.
The player will be able to choose who they play with each have different abilities so it's not too bad, but Having to play through the same stage as two different characters is slightly annoying as well. I know that they have different parts of the story available through each characters eyes, but every game that I have played that has done their story that way is trying to cover up for the lack of interest that you usually gets from these games.
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/1987/folklore2uq7.jpg

Graphics-
The graphics are normal fare, highly rendered and voice acted for certain areas, but the cut scenes are what make me say "schizophrenia". One set is fully voice acted and motioned, the others are comic style that are text driven and have little to no motion at all. It seems to pick and choose whenever it feels like it, which sort of ruins the momentum of the game itself.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7654/folkloreellenwarcadiadrub6.jpg

Thoughts-
All in all, it is a regular Current Gen game. Nothing astounding to it, nothing critically wrong with it. If you like action/rpg button mashers, this might be for you. If you love graphics, you will love this game. But if you like story, you might be left feeling a little disappointed.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8113/folkloredj0.jpg

My scoring-

Would I buy it? No
Would I rent it? maybe
Would I Replay it? Maybe but I rarely Replay ANY RPG. and you already go through each realm twice.
Why you wouldn't want to play it? Lack of a Story, although it has some Original Concepts those Quickly ware off. if you don't like Mystery you wont like this game.

Final Rating- 7.5/10

LiNuX
08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
the graphics are alright but i've seen better, much better - never played the game though - as for mystery games, i don't mind them, i just prefer to play other games more lol, good review though :) good screens

Shixx
08-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Yeah this game would be Perfect for Someone who loves both RPG and mystery.
but this Review is based off someone who doesn't have enough patience for Mystery Stories to unfold. Though the Gameplay did keep me entertained most of the game.

Samus-Fan
08-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Yea, the graphics are par, but it sounds ok.
Most likely won't get it. I have some other games I wanna buy that are higher on the list then this one.

Good Review!