PDA

View Full Version : Review Castle Crashers: AHHH! forgot to use a potion!

Shixx
09-13-2008, 11:44 PM
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3492/205484537castlecrashingbp4.jpg

Intro-
Castle Crashers is made by the people who created Newgrounds and alien hominid.
I just found this Xbox arcade game Castle crashers. I downloaded the demo and about 1 hour later of playing the Demo over and over I bought it for 15$
did I regret it?

Gameplay-
Castle Crashers is a 2d side scroller beat em up, whether your by yourself or with 3 other friends you face Hordes of enemies.

There's two basic attacks that can be mixed and used for more complicated Combos X being the fast attack and Y being your Powerful attack.
you can use your bow to shoot arrows by selecting it and pressing B, you can also use magic and mix magic in with your combos, you activate Magic by holding the right trigger and pressing either Y or A, Y is your basic Magic move but if you jump and then press Y you will hurl a more powerful attack at the enemies.

A performs a Magic jump where you use the magic to boost you into the air. There is 5 different Magic Types Poison, Fire,Lightning,Ice and the non-elemental. Ice Freezes the Enemy in place giving you time to plan his death. Lightning Travels through the enemies keeping them from moving and damaging them until you run out of mana. Fire and Poison are like a flamethrower blowing at and through the enemies causing Burn and poison Damage afterward.

non-elemental the knight calls down Objects from War such as Arrows, axes, bombs Ect.
You can also Block enemy attacks with your shield by using the left trigger.

Now for the Good stuff, throughout Castle Crashers you will find two things that will help you on your mission. New Weapons, they can be found by killing enemies, Using the shovel or opening Treasure chests some may be hiding behind walls as well. They will all help different areas of your combat some will increase your speed others will increase your strength Defense or Magic.
Depending on what type of combat you favor you will be able to collect them all and pick which one fits you best.

The second would be Animals you can find these pretty much anywhere they help you out in alot of ways some will attack the enemy for you some will find food for you some will increase your combat abilities and there's over 20 unique animals to collect as well.

The bosses in this game are pretty intense and are all different in their own way. For example one Boss Paints and his paintings come alive and attack you, another one is so huge that you just fight it's Eyeball that's just two out of atleast 10 original bosses and mini bosses.

You can also Face your friends and other people on Live in the arena to see who's the best knight or see who can eat the most in all you can quaff. over all the gameplay in Castle Crashers is very addicting, fast paced and very easy to pick up if you find that hard to believe, Jump, Jump and all will come clear.
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7105/castlec2dwb4.jpg

Story-
Castle Crashers has a basic story but there's nothing wrong with that.
in the knights world 4 Princesses were stolen, and you guessed it, you and the 3 other knights must save them and as you advance you save one princess at a time until you finally get the last one and beat the game.

There's no Text or Voices in this game but you don't really lose anything from that fact since the story is so basic you don't need any type of narrating to enjoy it. there's a certain humor about the game that will draw you in as well.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4448/castlecrashers4articleiiu4.jpg First Boss

Music-
The music in this game is very good in my opinion it's very intense fast moving music that will keep you pumped up for the hordes of enemies you must face.
The various sound effects the bosses magic and weapons make are pretty good as well.

Graphics-
Castle Crashers is a 2D side scroller and a very good looking one at that it's all smoothly animated the only problem you may have, is you have to be right in front of the enemies to hit them and it can be hard to tell when your in front of them
but I find an easy solution to that is follow their shadow.
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1625/castle51603tt9t.jpg
Multi-player Arena Battle

Regrets on spending 15$?-
Nope no regrets at all I've spent over 20 hours playing and unlocking everything and they still plan to add some DLC.

Score- 9/10

LiNuX
09-19-2008, 07:36 PM
i played alien hominid, never this one though, looks good and sounds good and it cost sjust $15 now? lol, thats cool - good review there