PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 5: Evolution of Horror

Trunks
09-21-2008, 03:42 PM
By now you may well have taken part in discussions concerning the fact that Resident Evil 5 retains the control system from Resident Evil 4 more or less unchanged. At the same time, you probably haven’t forgotten that Resident Evil 4 was one of the best games of the last generation, and has arguably yet to be surpassed as a thirdperson actioner.

After all, controls are only as good as what’s been built around them. And our most recent experience with Resident Evil 5 has done a lot to reassure us that the series’ essential attributes outside of the joypad are well represented, along with some significant additions to the formula that alter the feel of what you’re facing. The most obvious is the number of the infected. The first area of two we’ve played through is relatively open (though slightly more enclosed than Resident Evil 4’s Ganado village) and filled with enemies. At times, up to 15 infected will be running at you, and concentrated use of blockades, fences and gaps, combined with base fleeing, is the only way to stay ahead and gain enough time for a few pinpoint headshots.

http://www.edge-online.com/files/re5_2.jpg

The other significant change is the addition of Sheva. Fighting through such crowds with AI assistance is a completely new dynamic for the series, and it splits the attention of the seemingly insurmountable numbers of enemies, opening gaps where you might not expect them, and allowing you to set up traps relatively easily. It also means that your progression (a constant, given the continual threat of being overwhelmed) has to always take into account her position: you’ll need her help, and she’ll need yours. The command function isn’t yet as fully featured as we hoped to see, but will eventually allow you to influence her actions more directly.

There are moments during this extended battle when you’ll be surrounded, cut off from your partner, and standing still to shoot seems like a suicidal option, since the limitations of the control scheme come into play. It’s certainly true that it can feel clunky, mainly thanks to aiming speed, but strategy will allow you to prevail against the hordes. Though it may seem a little like trying to make a silk purse from a zombie’s ear, the nuances of the control system at least add to the panic as two infected split from different sides of the mob and charge you.

http://www.edge-online.com/files/re5_3.jpg

Aside from these basics, there are all the series staples you might expect. Crates and explosive barrels return, with the latter packing significantly more oomph. A slightly slimmer version of RE4’s chainsaw-toting Ganado pops up at one stage, and will happily slice through his compatriots to get to you, while a hulking monstrosity with an axe is destined to end many unwary players’ lives. Add in some neat cinematic touches, such as Chris’ communication with a helicopter pilot, and the hope is that the tight pacing and twists of Resident Evil 4 can be carried over into a more expansive setting. In short, Resident Evil 5 is going to be like Resident Evil 4, but bigger, much better looking, and with many more enemies. Which isn’t a bad prospect.

Source (http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/resident-evil-5-evolution-horror)

Raoul
11-10-2010, 05:04 AM
This game is not really that scary at all. For me Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 was actually scary, but Resident Evil 5 is really awesome to play.

Fr0stByte
05-03-2011, 01:37 PM
looks awesome, last RE i played was 4, i was 14 at the time and it scared the bjeez out of me.....

paecmaker
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Lol, looks like this thread isnt so active.

between the first two posts it a 2 year hop.

Raoul
05-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Lol shame this poor thread ok lets build it up and fill its stomach a bit. The one thing I like about RE 5 was that you and you friend can co-op that's awesome but there are times when I prefer begin solo in the game that's why RE 4 would still be the best for me:D