PDA

View Full Version : Goto Hiroshige: PS4 coming in 2011, Wii-too

Scott
09-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Goto Hiroshige has received PSX4 spec info from Japanese developer sources who received preliminary spec from SCEI for developer feedback(whom Goto refuses to name due to NDA).

- SCEI has sent rough PSX4 spec to 3rd party developers for feed back. Based on the description, PSX4 is a Wii-tized PSX3, no more than 2X as powerful.
- SCEI wants to beat Xbox 3 to launch. 2011 is the deadline, or sooner.
- SCEI pulled all its engineers from IBM Texas, and there is no new CELL architecture being developed. PSX4 will use same CELL architecture with improvements.
- SCEI will dump XDR and use standard JEDEC memory type(GDDR3/DDR3) for main memory.

Link (http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2008/0929/kaigai469.htm)

It might be a smart business move. With the way the economy is going, are we even going to be able to afford another console in 2011?

Hockeyfan
09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I think it is smart that they are trying to release their next system before Microsoft.

jakncoke
09-30-2008, 09:25 PM
2011 seems a little soon but when your in 3rd place and lost a bunch of money you can't wait to release a moneymaker and wash the bad taste out of your mouth aka the PS3. Maybe the PS3 failure to do what it's predecessors did is a good thing for Sony and they can reach back down to what made PS1/PS2 a massive success, they have totally went opposite of made them successful, In Japan they are lucky 360 is a gaijin console because they'd be 3rd considering Microsoft shoring up deals left and right . Now if they get a console out before Microsoft they need to figure out to keep the lead unlike Microsoft, I still have a feeling the 360 will finish last when it's all said and done. Also Scott you mention today's economy well that really is irrelevant considering we don't know how bad it's going to get and we can't see the future and really sales have pretty much confirmed that video games can take a recession punch and do just fine. If the PS4 is no more than 2 more times powerful than the PS3, I can't see how Sony would have the PS4 launch price more than 400 dollars which would most likely fly off shelves if it even had a little software considering inflation and the growth of the video game industry.

otis
04-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Really don't think it matters as much as people think it does. There's a lot of cheap people out there that think "I'll wait to see what company "x" does before I make my purchasing decision.

Exodyus
04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Launching before XBox is not what they should be concerned about.

The market is split between Microsoft and Sony. Sony is loosing right now because they didn't have the games for the system that the PS2 had. The other problem is price point.

People are not looking for the most expensive system, they're looking for playability, versatility, multi-player functions, and expense.

The Wii outsold both and proved that - So what if it's cheaper and not as powerful, price wise - they sold more units than both competitors AND made profit doing so.
Cheaper + Quantity = Success regardless.
Expensive + Power = Obvious fail. Look at 360 & PS3.

Make a system that can run graphics like the PS3 for the price of the Wii and then make it 6 player available, wireless remotes + gyroscopic technology, and launch a sh;t-ton of games that are best sellers.

A Remake of FF7 for the PS4 will BLOW the SH;T out of the market. PS4.

GG. GoldenEye Remake with 6 Players. KABOOOM again. Wii x2 (whatever they're calling it)

jakncoke
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
lol just think of this... FF7 sold nearly 10 million, imagine a remake at launch with several new games+ several classic franchises that extend their game franchises and a good price. that'd be insane to watch

Exodyus
04-10-2009, 04:11 PM
lol just think of this... FF7 sold nearly 10 million, imagine a remake at launch with several new games+ several classic franchises that extend their game franchises and a good price. that'd be insane to watch

I'm tellin' you, man. My ideas - I got tons of them. All Gold. Lol.
And the fans want Aerith back - a remake where the Underwater Materia is used for more than just fighting the Emerald Weapon.

F-ckin BONER. SOLD. 20 Mil. GG @ XSnatch-errr.. Box.

otis
04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Exodyus good points but what are your thoughts about the long run. I just read that sony is now outselling nintendo in japan. Also wii didn't have many break out games to begin with (just ask the hardcores about that as it collects dust while they are playing their ps3/360, me as well) hell it doesn't have much in the line of breakouts now! There's a helluva lot of shuvlware on that system now. The way I see it, The Tendo just nabbed the demo that sony/micro didn't aim as much for: The Casuals & Female markets.

In the end, as a purest type gamer I'm lovin' all of this, someone actually shook up the monopoly sony had. This by far the best time to be a gamer, 3 fantastic options for consoles!! 3 yo! Beats the hell out of "well I can go buy a 500 buck ps3, or a 500 buck ps3."

otis
04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
one more thing yo, put in the good word for me! I'm going to apply to be a reviewer here.

btw, racecar spelled backwords is STILL racecar. That got me through high school.

jakncoke
04-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Exodyus good points but what are your thoughts about the long run. I just read that sony is now outselling nintendo in japan. Also wii didn't have many break out games to begin with (just ask the hardcores about that as it collects dust while they are playing their ps3/360, me as well) hell it doesn't have much in the line of breakouts now! There's a helluva lot of shuvlware on that system now. The way I see it, The Tendo just nabbed the demo that sony/micro didn't aim as much for: The Casuals & Female markets.

In the end, as a purest type gamer I'm lovin' all of this, someone actually shook up the monopoly sony had. This by far the best time to be a gamer, 3 fantastic options for consoles!! 3 yo! Beats the hell out of "well I can go buy a 500 buck ps3, or a 500 buck ps3."

after the FF13 demo PS3 has really nothing to keep it going, Wii hasn't a big game is so long and PS3 came off Demons Soul/Resident 5/Yakuza3/Warrior Orochi Z.

Exodyus
04-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I would have to say that I'd need to see the list of launch games for all the new consoles coming out to make an accurate prediction - but if the present situation doesn't take a grasp to what the fans want - then there's no hope for any system.

Currently, I have a SNES, DS-L, and PS2.

I didn't bother buying the PS3 or XBox because of the game selection they both started with. My 'rents have a Wii - so I can get my fix there if need be, but you can only play so many hours of RockBand, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Boom Blox before you just get bored with the system.

The playability needs to be there, but most of all - the game selection needs to drastically be upgraded.

Why bother punching out just ANOTHER system, if they cant even have their 3rd party game-makers keep up with the times. It'll result in another mishap flop. Another downed system.

I actually didn't mind the grand monopoly Sony held because of the truly amazing game selection they had for the PS2. EVERYONE has a Nintendo - they're not even considered much of a competitor by myself - they're the Old Faithful of Consoles.

But if PSX took the most successful titles from the all the Consoles and made renditions to the game - Same types, Genres, and Remakes of phenomenal games ... I think they'd even take the sha-bang from Nintendo.

I don't care for XBox at all, even though right now - the majority of great games is out for the red-eyed system.