PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse Tonight

LiNuX
03-03-2007, 10:42 AM
There will be a luner eclipse tonight, Visible to the americas and asia, well partly, Europe and middle east will have best views.

I quote:

"LONDON - The moon will turn shades of amber and crimson Saturday night as it passes behind the Earth's shadow in the first total lunar eclipse in three years.

ADVERTISEMENT

The eclipse will be at least partly visible from Asia to the Americas, although those in Europe, Africa and the Middle East will have the best view.

Lunar eclipses occur when Earth passes between the sun and the moon, blocking the sun's light. The event is rare because the moon spends most of its time either above or below the plane of Earth's orbit.

Although it will pass completely under Earth's shadow, light from the sun will still reach the moon after being refracted through Earth's atmosphere, giving the moon an eerie dark reddish tinge.

"It's not an event that has any scientific value, but it's something everybody can enjoy," said Robert Massey of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Earth's shadow will begin moving across the moon at 3:18 p.m. EST Saturday, with the total eclipse occurring at 5:44 p.m. EST and lasting more than an hour.

Observers in eastern North America and South America will find the moon already partially or totally eclipsed by the time it rises over the horizon Saturday evening.

Alaska, eastern Australia and New Zealand will miss the show altogether.

The next total lunar eclipse will occur Aug. 28"

find the news at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070302/ap_on_sc/lunar_eclipse

Enjoy!

KittyCat72
03-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Wow, that sounds neat. I'm going to see if I canb catch it.

LiNuX
03-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I dont even see a moon outside lol, dont know if it passed, it was supposed to have happened while i was still at work

wifi
03-03-2007, 10:47 PM
i dont think the moon is out this time of year here in ny lol :P maybe its just in asia lol

souljaa
03-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I saw the moon, but didn't see anything..wasn't paying too much attention :P.

LiNuX
03-04-2007, 10:37 AM
well it was a partial eclipse so it should have looked a reddish crimson color

Eric
03-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I didn't see anything because it was cloudy here

KittyCat72
03-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Too bad, I missed it too.

crazay
03-07-2007, 02:12 PM
they had something about that on tv, i remember