PDA

View Full Version : Bungie and Microsoft Drifting Apart

Scott
11-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Speaking exclusively to gameplayer, Bungie’s community lead Brian Jarrard reflected on the last eventful year in the wake of the momentous release of Halo 3. He paints a picture of a much more relaxed studio since gaining independence last October from Microsoft. This all comes in an atmosphere of some doubt and concern after the much-publicized canning of Bungie’s big E3 reveal this summer and a series of restrained but tense exchanges from both Microsoft and Bungie in the aftermath of the decision.

However, it would seem from Jarrard’s description of events since Halo 3 was completed that Bungie is in a much better position to roll with the punches than ever before and that its commitment to making cutting-edge, blockbuster titles such as the recently announced Halo 3; Recon remains undiminished.

What remains more resolute than anything else, though, is Bungie’s commitment and devotion to its fans, and its goal remains to at least match, if not exceed, their expectations. That seems to be the biggest legacy from the release of Halo 3.

“We poured so much into the game and pushed really hard to get all of our features into the shipping product, but we just didn’t know if it was going to resonate well with our fan community,” Jarrard revealed. “To see the reaction to the game – not just in terms of the numbers but in terms of our hardcore fans; the way the community responded – was truly inspiring and rewarding for everyone at the studio.”

This was a message that resonated even more after all the controversy that was hovering over Bungie after its cancelled announcement of a new title at E3 - an announcement which remained clouded in mystery until the Tokyo Game Show. The overriding concern seemed to be that the Bungie community, a group that has only swelled in the last 12 months, would be irrevocably hurt by the broken promise of a new game.

Suggestions by Microsoft’s Don Mattrick that Bungie studio president Harold Ryan laughed about the decision were met by thinly veiled anger from Bungie as it did not take the decision lightly. “Keeping things clean, I certainly didn’t agree with the decision to delay our news until the TGS,” Ryan said later. “Bungie is always concerned first and foremost with our fans. Whenever we are prevented from exceeding their positive expectations it is not a laughing matter.”

Full Article here (http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/Bungie-for-PS3.aspx?Page=1)

I can't really see why Bungie would want to be independent from Microsoft. The main reason I've heard is because people didn't want to spend the rest of their lives making Halo games. Well the company is independent and they're working to release another Halo game...

If I were Microsoft I'd create more IP and open more studios around it, like Nintendo does. Nintendo has a Mario team and a Zelda team constantly working on the next iteration of the game. Bungie should have been the Halo team, people unhappy with working on Halo could go to another team and create another game inside of Microsoft.