PDA

View Full Version : No more heroes

Juicebox
11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/No_More_Heroes.jpg/256px-No_More_Heroes.jpg

No more heroes is a great title for the nintendo wii. With a creative control scheme and many cultural references it is my favorite action game on the wii.

Story

The story follows Travis Touchdown, who is a stereotypical otaku – his motel room decorated with professional wrestling and anime collectibles – living in near poverty in the No More Heroes motel of the fictional town of Santa Destroy, California.[10] After winning a beam katana in an internet auction, he runs out of money to buy video games and wrestling videos. After meeting with Sylvia Christel, he accepts a job to kill Helter Skelter, also known as "the Drifter," which earns him rank 11 by the United Assassins Association, a governing body of assassins. Realizing that he has the opportunity to make it to the top, he sets out to secure himself the coveted position of number one hitman in the UAA.[2]

After killing the tenth ranked assassin, Sylvia reveals that if Travis stops killing, he'll eventually be targeted by other aspiring assassins. Travis, now convinced there's no way out, goes on to kill every other assassin bar number eight, whom he spares as he can't kill a woman. Along the way he meets Henry, a mysterious Irish man who wields a beam katana similar to Travis' own. He is later revealed to be both Sylvia's husband and Travis' twin brother.

After meeting the top-ranked assassin, Travis is told that the UAA was just an elaborate con set up by Sylvia, who overheard his drunken ramblings and organized his entry so that he could finally have his revenge on his half-sister, Jeane, who murdered his parents. She reveals in a sped-up cutscene that their father had sexually abused her all her life and forced her to become a prostitute in order to survive and become a killer. Travis is eventually saved by Shinobu, the assassin he spared earlier in the game, and kills Jeane.

The game ends with Travis being attacked by another assassin before Henry saves him, and challenges him to one last fight. Henry reveals that Sylvia was his wife, and has a habit of disappearing before returning with lots of money (presumably due to conning people). The two charge towards each other when the screen freezes with the two brothers about to kill each other, the picture becoming a painting in a gallery where Sylvia and her daughter Jeane are looking at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_More_Heroes

Gameplay
The gameplay is quite simply you drive around on your motorcycle untill you find a job. you do the job and make money. then you pay for your next ranked match. you win the ranked match. process repeats. This can get super repetitive after 3-4 ranked matches.
The Controls are very easy to pick up. Its a bit of a buttom masher but when prompted to you can swing the wiimote and finish off an enemy with a 'deathblow'. The main weapon in no more heros is the beam katana which can be upgraded thoughout the game. Travis can also use several professional wrestling maneuvers by waving the wiimote and nunchuck when prompted.

Graphics
The graphics are typical wii graphics nothing special about them except the amount of blood and gore which are done very well except I dont think if someone had there head cut off that blood would shoot out there neck upwards for 5 feet.

Pros
-Very tight controls
-Great story
-Lots of blood and gore

Cons
-It is too short. It shouldn't take you more then 15-16 hours to beat it.
-Very repetitive at times
-Theres a few frame rate issues at times in big battles

Story-10/10
Gameplay-9/10
Graphics/7/10
Overall-8.9/10

Please anyfeedback would be accepted. Also if you see any spelling errors just pm me then and I will get them fixed.

LiNuX
11-09-2008, 12:47 AM
pretty good review, glad you got your first review up, keep it up, can't wait to see your future reviews, i haven't played any game on the wii besides wii sports lol...game sounds interesting though, driving around looking for jobs lol - reminded me of the Sims games for some reason

jakncoke
11-09-2008, 01:32 AM
If I had a Wii I'd buy this but something to note on you think 15-16 hours in short? imo that's just about right for a action game and if repetition even came into question I can't understand why you'd want it longer, from the sounds of it they drawn it out and it would have been better suited as shorter game

Juicebox
11-09-2008, 07:57 AM
If I had a Wii I'd buy this but something to note on you think 15-16 hours in short? imo that's just about right for a action game and if repetition even came into question I can't understand why you'd want it longer, from the sounds of it they drawn it out and it would have been better suited as shorter game

Good point. I wish it was longer in the fact that I wish there was more boss battles and less jobs and stuff.

wifi
11-12-2008, 01:43 PM
good review there dude :-P needed more screenshots lol but i heard of the game and have even seen game play, looks pretty good

Juicebox
11-12-2008, 03:50 PM
So I should have more pictures to my next review?

LiNuX
11-12-2008, 05:06 PM
So I should have more pictures to my next review?

people respond better to visuals than reading lol, you don't have to, it's up to you on what you decide to put in

Juicebox
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Ok I will most likely add more pictures then. My next review is on god of war 2 so expect that soon. I gotta do a quick playthough seeing as I have not played it in quite a while =D.