Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 28 million Xbox 360's shipped

Microsoft said today that it had sold more than 28 million Xbox 360s since introducing the game console in November 2005. That compares with more than 20 million PlayStation 3 consoles sold by Sony since it debuted the device in November 2006, according to Microsoft executives.

"We're widening our lead against PlayStation 3," said Aaron Greenberg, director of product management for the Xbox, who noted that going into the fourth quarter, Microsoft's lead had been 5 million consoles. "This was the best year in the history of the Xbox, despite the tough economy."

Greenberg credited last year's growth to a lineup of exclusive games, including Gears of War 2, Left for Dead and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

He also credited the company's online game service, Xbox Live. The company said it now has 17 million Xbox Live subscribers who can use their consoles to find online opponents, download games or watch movies and TV shows. Though many Xbox Live subscribers opt for the free version of the service, Greenberg said that the majority pay $50 a year for the premium service, which includes the ability for Netflix members to view the service's Instant Watch movies and television shows for free.

Microsoft said online sales on the service, such as movie rentals and downloads of TV shows and games, jumped 84% in 2008 from 2007. The Redmond, Wash., company said consumers have spent more than $1 billion on Xbox Live, but it did not say how much of that was spent in 2008.

"It's a huge part of our business," Greenberg said. "And it's a quickly growing portion of our business."

How did the others do? NPD Group plans to release its sales number for the video game industry next week.

-- Alex Pham
    Microsoft: Xbox 360 widens lead over PlayStation 3 | Technology | Los Angeles Times

They'll continue to widen the difference between 360 and PS3 as well as Sony can't do anything

i still want a ps3, just can't buy one due to a lot of stuff lol...and leading by 5 million consoles is huge...come on sony, drop the price and watch it sell
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Yeah rock in a hard place but I think if Sony stays steady I can understand from a business point of view, They've lost 3 billion already, they are close to making a profit on each console sold..if they drop it they'll go into pretty big losses once again. Sooner or later they need to make profits and recover some. Sony as a whole is laying off 16k soon, perhaps there clearing room for the gaming division for a price cut on the PS3

but prices for parts are a lot cheaper than they were in 2006, I know because I've seen computer part prices get folded up like 4 times - unless they have some contract where they are getting their products at the same price as 2 years ago, they really shouldn't be spending so much making these things.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by LiNuX View Post
    but prices for parts are a lot cheaper than they were in 2006, I know because I've seen computer part prices get folded up like 4 times - unless they have some contract where they are getting their products at the same price as 2 years ago, they really shouldn't be spending so much making these things.
    When the PS3 just came out it cost nearly 900 to make a PS3. Insanity in the spotlight, this is the very reason they do not include PS3 parts anymore, to save a meager 30 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jakncoke View Post
    When the PS3 just came out it cost nearly 900 to make a PS3. Insanity in the spotlight, this is the very reason they do not include PS3 parts anymore, to save a meager 30 bucks.
    yeah, can't still be $900..that would be crazy spending

Lol, I wouldn't buy a PS3 even if it was being sold for 10 dollars. The only way I would take one is if they were giving them away for free, and I still wouldn't play it, because all the games suck expect about 2.
    Samus-Fan :: Graphic Store ¦ Samus Graphics :: Graphics and Blog

Winner of Fourteen Signature Of The Weeks!
    Winner of Two Signature Of The Months!

About 5 million of those are from people who had to buy another 360 because theirs broke....

I plan on buying a few games for the ps3 just because the graphics will be better than the 360. Like FF 13, I'll be getting it for the ps3 instead. I also want GT 5 and MGS4, along with Resistance 2. I'd still say I like the 360 better though, better online play, more games, plus most of my friends have a 360 instead of a ps3.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    About 5 million of those are from people who had to buy another 360 because theirs broke....
    Oh please.
    If you were smart and actually got a warranty for it, then you shouldn't have to buy a new one.
    And of those 5 million, I bet atleast 4 million of them were the persons fault and moved the 360 while it had the RROD.
    Samus-Fan :: Graphic Store ¦ Samus Graphics :: Graphics and Blog

Winner of Fourteen Signature Of The Weeks!
    Winner of Two Signature Of The Months!

Quote Originally Posted by Samus-Fan View Post
    Oh please.
    If you were smart and actually got a warranty for it, then you shouldn't have to buy a new one.
    And of those 5 million, I bet atleast 4 million of them were the persons fault and moved the 360 while it had the RROD.

um? I did have warranty on it? I had my 360 for 3 years now. Sorry, if Microsoft doesn't offer a 3 year warranty.

Thread Information