Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: about pentiums

yeah but surely eventually some games will use 4ghz.

if a game need 9 ghz would a 2.66 quad do the job????

or would you need a 5 ghz dual core or a 10 ghz processor???

no one has the technology to create programs to use that much core speed. Maybe NASA has something but I highly doubt they use commercial grade processors. I also think programs (not just games) will eventually require more power, but I don't think it will be any time soon. Like I said before, it seems like the CPU's are getting upgrades on the amount of cores they have because it's far more efficient.

And Motherboards can have more than quad core. You can get a server mobo that can hold 4 CPU's at once, and get a quad core CPU with HT enabled and it'll show you 32 cores. Definitely more than enough to run that 9ghz game. There are always around this limitation thanks to multi-core processing.

But right now I think you're just worrying about something that won't affect us for a while. Or it may be something that may not come at all because if CPU manufacturers keep focusing on cores, they'll have 64 core CPUs and 128core cpus in the future with ease, no one will even pay attention to the core speed then because even at 1ghz speed per core, 64 cores will get you a further than any cpu out today. Just a little prediction of mine, could be wrong.

And now that I think about it...I saw a 3.8ghz CPU a while back on sale, forgot where. It was an Intel Quad Core CPU. Not too long ago, And no, it wasn't overclocked (not that I remember at least) - And I think it was a Xeon cpu...wish I kept note of it.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Intell Just announced a 48 Core Chip. Think about gaming then.

How that helps you?

When you assign each core to do a different job, you can expect better physics, lighting, faster load times, better AI, ect ect. and they can slip stream some cores to handle bigger problems, such as rendering it all in real time.

Expect Video cards to be chaeper or not needed in the near future, because the processor will be able to handle everything.

48 Core Chip huh..Would love to get my hands on that.

And I think you'll still need GPUs, unless they make it so that you can connect a monitor directly into the CPU (which would make upgrades much tougher) - interesting thought but I think these two will remain separate for a while.

Proves that core speed isn't everything.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by EQDruid View Post
    Intell Just announced a 48 Core Chip. Think about gaming then.

How that helps you?

When you assign each core to do a different job, you can expect better physics, lighting, faster load times, better AI, ect ect. and they can slip stream some cores to handle bigger problems, such as rendering it all in real time.

Expect Video cards to be chaeper or not needed in the near future, because the processor will be able to handle everything.
    wow ARE YOU being serious that would be like 126 ghz 42 x 3.

could it actually run 126 programmes that use 1ghz each???

You'll still be limited by how much RAM you have - programs use a ton of memory as well. And it'll get hectic to manage a 126 programs running at the same time. Just imagine the alt+tab menu...

I run about 30 programs at once on my PC, even while Video chatting with my friends on Skype and Camfrog.

Tho I am not your typical Gamer... LOL

Thread Information