Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about pentiums

Default about pentiums

the pentium i7 looks really good but doesn any1 know what intel will bring out after the i7?????

Pentium and i7 are two different types of Intel Processors. It's Intel Pentium and Intel i7.

And I'm hoping to try out the i7 920 CPU on a new server soon and I have high hopes.

As for a CPU after i7, not sure, haven't heard any news about that.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

OK kool its just 3.20ghz processors have been around a very long time im just wondering when its going to go up to 6 or 7 ghz.

i know its 3.20 x 4 but its still 3.20 so when is 7.20 x 4 coming out coz the 3.20 has been around a very long time i can remember about 4 or 5 years ago a pentium 4 had 3.80.

ime still waiting on a 7.20 x 4.

You can overclock processors to run at 5+ GHz but that's really pushing it. It's not easy trying to push one single core to run too fast, I don't know the exact mechanics behind it though. SO what they do it just divide it up into dual cores and quad cores and it becomes 4x3.2ghz.

Doubt you'll see one processor with 7.2ghz speed in the commercial market anytime soon.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

yeah well no increase in the past 6 years???? and you cant even see an increase in clock speed coming any time soon???

over the past 6 years, CPU's have gone from being single core to quad core - that's a huge increase. Clock Speed isn't always that important. I suspect they'll be coming out with the 8-core CPU sooner or later (Think they are calling it multi-core now)

Other than that, I can't really answer for them. They may find it easier to split up the CPU's into different cores than trying to push the limit of current technology to go faster than physically possible. And I don't think any software out there would actually use a full core of power so they haven't found the incentive to go ahead and try. But I'm only speculating. I can't answer with a 100% certainty since I don't make the CPU's myself.

the annoying thing is the games arent really getting much bigger or faster and i suspect its due to hard ware limits.

more attributes in skills more soldiers on the battlefield and bigger battlefilelds.

thiers no large scale rts or rpg games coming out. like cossacks the art of war or dungeon siege 2.

What do you mean games aren't getting much bigger? games nowadays are huge compared to 10 or even 5 years ago. They don't really need much resources, otherwise they become resource hogs and are less likely to sell.

And you can have an 8 core server with 16gb ram, if the game is resource intensive, it'll still give you problems. Core speed doesn't have much to do with the hardware lag if you have enough of it. And 3.2ghz on a single core is a lot of speed, considering my old HP used to have only 333mhz.

And if you mean by MMO's (Massive multiplayer online games) then that is usually limited by the network, not hardware. And it's limited by the server's network, not the client network. An infinite number of people can't connect to the same network before it starts to lag. Most servers nowadays run on a 100mbps port which is fast compared to 10-20 years ago where you had just a few megabits at max.

The network speed is constantly growing, some servers are on 1gbps and a few are on 10gbps ports around the world. The bigger and faster the network, the more connections it can handle at the same time. Also the server's RAM has a limitation along with CPUs but that's the beauty of upgrades. There are servers with terabytes of RAM and maybe hundreds of CPU cores running at 3.2ghz each.

You have the right idea that games are limited, but you're looking at the wrong thing. Most online games are limited by the server that runs it, and most offline games are limited by other hardware other than CPU. But like I said, you can always upgrade. If a game requires a single core 3.2ghz processor, you should have no trouble running it on a dual core 2.2ghz.

Looks like I went off a little...hadn't realized I said so much.

the rts games are fought on smaller battlefields and the rpg charector statistics are more simple.

oh right i just realized you said that if a game needs 3.20ghz then you should have no problem running it on a 2.20 dual core is that bullet proof????
    Last edited by BIGDUDEJOE; 11-30-2009 at 04:53 AM.

What do you mean "is that bullet proof?" Not familiar with that saying...

But it will work if that's what you're asking. A dual core shared the CPU load so the 3.2 would be equally shared between the other two.

My home server has a dual core amd Athlon cpu. (If i remember correctly it's a 2.8ghz CPU) - and whenever I look at the processes, the two cores are usually balanced on the load it takes. There is usually a spike on one or the other at times but the other one helps correct it by taking up some of the load. That's the beauty of multicore processors.

And I don't think there are any games out that would require so much speed. As I said before, 3.2ghz is a lot of power. And any game using it all up would be seen as inefficient.

Thread Information