Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Counter-Strike: Source

Counter-Strike: Source is a game that revolutionized the Counter-Strike world with its amazing and very realistic graphics. I have played the game for a few years now and so far the graphics are the only part that amazed me.

This game was released on August 11, 2004 in Beta mode to cyber cafes around the country. It was released for everyone on November 16th 2004 by valve in the newly designed Source Engine which surpassed the Half Life engine brought out previously with its newer features along with the ease of use.

CSS, CS: Source, Counter-Strike: Source – Whatever you may want to call it, was a follow up of the Game Counter-Strike 1.6 even though the game came out after Counter-Strike Condition Zero which was a complete failure for valve in terms of sales, user activity, and popularity. The CS 1.6 review can be found in the following link here on GF: CS 1.6 Review

The Game Play has changed since 1.6. The guns no longer have the high amount of recoil so it takes away from the realism of the game from the shooting point of view. However they have improved on player mobility and now the items around the maps that were previously grounded, even if it was a simple Telephone, can now be shot and destroyed like real life. You can even push down barrels and push them along, something you can never do in CS 1.6 without special modifications to the server.

I am a bit biased because I prefer the 1.6 game play – The guns are harder to handle and they feel more realistic in 1.6. In real life you cannot run and shoot a rifle at the same time and expect a 100% accuracy. In CSS, you can do that without worry most of the time.

CSS also makes it easier for people to get customized sounds, textures, weapon skins, and player skins for their server. You can also install bots in your server in a matter of seconds. And CSS Also allows offline play with bots, something not found in the Previous Counter-Strike versions.

CSS Surpasses its predecessors through its graphics, its realistic environments, it’s customizations, its offline game play, and even fan base. CSS is now the most popular counter-strike game around with millions of players world wide. The game lets you play with up to 32 players in some of the most popular maps including Fy_iceworld_cssource, fy_snow_css, De_Dust2, De_dust, De_Inferno, De_Aztec, Cs_Assault, Cs_italy, and the hundreds of other maps that come with the game.

FY maps are Fight Yard Maps. Generally small and ends quickly. DE Maps are Demolition Extraction Maps – Goal of Terrorists is to plant the bomb in the possible bomb sites and the Counter-Terrorist has to either stop the plant and if they fail to do that, they can diffuse the bomb. CS Maps are Hostage Rescue Maps. This is where the Counter-Terrorists go in side the Terrorist base to rescue the Hostages. There are many other types of Maps and Mods but those will take forever to explain.

The above image is of some game play in the map De_dust.

This image is the counter-terrorist spawn point in the map CS_Italy.

Final Ratings:

Game Play: 7/10 – Could have been a 9 if they just kept the original recoil of the guns.

Graphics: 8/10 – They were great but compared to the game games made today, they are still below. They still deserve an 8/10 for its time.

Ease of Use: 9/10 – both Server and Client wise. Very easy to use online and offline mode.

Overall: 8/10

~LiNuX
    Last edited by LiNuX; 08-06-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Good review... I may pick this game up for 10 bucks some time. I saw them new at a few pawn shops.... Hm....

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    Good review... I may pick this game up for 10 bucks some time. I saw them new at a few pawn shops.... Hm....
    new is generally $20 if you buy it directly from Steam, if you buy it from the store its also $20 but you may have to pay taxes lol

but yeah..there are places where you can get it cheaper than steam and friends.

It's a good game for people wanting to START cs. I know people that played CS 1.6 first then CSS and they didn't like the game play as much - I was the same.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Nice review,
    I'm gonna buy it off my steam when I get this stupid paypal setup.
    Then 1.6 when I get used to it.

+rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Nice review,
    I'm gonna buy it off my steam when I get this stupid paypal setup.
    Then 1.6 when I get used to it.

+rep.
    you can pay with credit card if you have one lol, easier to pay for than paypal

and css is good if you are starting out playing counter-strike - have fun with it feel free to play in the GF Servers, always up and running

great review there linux, i played the game and i own 1.6 but i havent played cs for a very long time, dont even have 1.6 installed anymore lol, good review though very detailed

Quote Originally Posted by diablo View Post
    great review there linux, i played the game and i own 1.6 but i havent played cs for a very long time, dont even have 1.6 installed anymore lol, good review though very detailed
    glad you like it

i was going to do a condition zero review but then decided not to - have less than 5 hrs total game play in the past few years lol, and its not a very popular cs game anyway so i said screw it stick with source and 1.6

The games are similar anyway. Most of the online play is the same. I only played CSS a few times, but as far as I could tell it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
    The games are similar anyway. Most of the online play is the same. I only played CSS a few times, but as far as I could tell it's the same.
    css and cs 1.6? or cz? i dont remember what cz looked like - i know graphics were better compared to 1.6 but dont remember much

but css graphics are not even close to 1.6 graphics - years apart literally and graphics wise

the game play is also very different - css gun recoil has dropped greatly since 1.6 - one of the things i dont like - no realistic feeling if the AK -47 doesn't shoot upwards when you spray lol

Like I said, Haven't played to much of CS source, but cz and cs 1.6 seem a lot like CSS. It's probably because I spent about 20 hours total on all 3 games combined. I normally play the cod series on my pc. I'm getting ready to upgrade my computer with a duo 3.0 cpu. Which means I have to update my motherboard, because the socket is 478 and it can't hold duo 3.0. I also need new RAM, because my motherboard only holds DDR, the new one takes DDR 2. Luckly, I upgraded my gcard a few years back too a 1650x ATI radeon 512 mb, which is PCI-E. I'll get a 8800GT at Christmas for my complete update = ) I'm getting off topic now so I'm quiting.

Thread Information