Default Settlers 7 preview

RTS games are often like the quiet kid at the back of the class: seemingly dim, often quiet and unassuming, while at times the object of ridicule. I'm going to do something brave .. I LOVE RTS GAMES .. there, I said it. From as far back as the XCom series, right through Age of Empires, to Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2 and Anno 1404 - RTS games are one of my favourite genres. Now with the calibre of those games, will the newest addition to the Settlers series live up to the hype?

At E3 last year there was a collective orgasm about quite a few games, and seemingly a more muted gurgle from the Settlers group. There had been issues about program difficulties at one stage, but thanfully those seem to now be a thing of the past, and like yesterday's underwear they're forgotten about.

Settlers 7: Paths to a kingdom underwent some stringent beta testing not long ago, and it went so well that no further delays were needed. So, rather than talk about what's past, let's talk about what's to come ..

Settlers 7 follows in the footsteps of its predecessors, where you start with a tiny village with scant amenities and culture and build it up to a supreme kingdom. There's naturally a big focus on resource gathering and economy, and from the recent footage and other sources this will be keenly balanced with other civilisation requirements like themilitary, trade and so on.

One of the biggest advances, and something the Settlers marketing team want you to hear and hear and hear, is that the AI in the newest version has been "significantly upgraded more than ever". So, previous headaches over routing, or stupid bakers saying they can't produce bread even though you have enough ingredients to kill a small horse in your warehouse, are finally a thing of the past. Well, we'll see.

Judging from the screenshots, the video footage, and some recent previews Settlers 7 looks like a fun and enjoyable experience, and a worthy member of the series. So, if you're looking for something to play from the 23rd of March, remember this game!

Excitement factor - 6/10
    Potential gameplay - 8/10
    Potential boredom - 6/10
    Overall: 7/10

- Settlers 7 official web site
    Last edited by jango; 02-01-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Oh thanks jango I might check this out eventually. I played Settlers 2 but man some things were such a headache. No idea that this was coming out. Good to hear a review about it

WOW! I didn't hear about this upcoming title only today through your Post! I really enjoyed playing the previous parts of the game. I really love this game and can't wait to get this new Title!

thanks for the replies you guys .. glad to see some ppl are still interested in settlers game

Thread Information