Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SERVER CLOSED - MODS Please Remove this thread
    Last edited by Djdoubt03; 01-15-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Has anyone checked this out yet? BTW the web site has been updated and forums are now active.

Nice site, but loads fairly slow for me ) :

Visually I'm not as impressed, the background makes it seem cluttered.
    I love the background you used for the sides (upcoming events, forum hot topics) and the announcement though!

Seems like its got a lot going for it and has lots of nice content already. So I'll definitely keep an eye on it.
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

i have similar thoughts to lemon, altho i actually found the foreground articles and blocks made it quite visually cluttered .. other than that it seemed ok to me. u might want to consider smaller colouring differentiaters in the genre sectioning to help the general design imo .. perhaps colouring the smaller article icon instead.

but hey, not bad :O)

Thanks for the advice guys. The site has been up dated. Please allow me to explain what "The Eye of The Vortex" is about.

The Purpose (Mission):
    The purpose of Eye of the Vortex is to promote the gaming industry. We do this by drawing everything that is important to a gamer into a centralized place, thus our name. Gamers can simply hit one website to get all the news and product reviews that they could possibly want to read about.

We can accomplish these goals in the following ways:

A Provide quality articles that offer entertainment and education to our reader-base.
    B Provide superior product evaluation and promotion of our affiliates.
    C Provide an excellent media for sponsors to advertise their products.

An important part of our marketing strategy is that while we are writing articles about some of the larger games in the industry (Magic, Dungeons and Dragons, World of Darkness etc.), we will be attracting fans of those games. This is a perfect opportunity to slide a new game in front of those readers. Our belief is that gamers only play games that they are exposed too. In short, if your product is worth a try, then we are willing and able to put your product out in front of those groups in order to expose them to it, in an effort to build a following for that game as well.

Eye of the Vortex Content
    I am constantly asked the question, \"So what do you do?\" Its a fair question, and a very deep answer could follow, but instead I will give you a fairly simple one. EoV is a gaming website where a typical gamer can go to learn about new and old games, movies, books, comics, etc. We strive to be equal parts entertainment as well as educational. We have divided the gamers interests into groups that we call genres and then searched for talented writers to provide coverage on the genre of their expertise. Let me break down those genres for you:

Collectible Card Games *CCGs* ~ These are games that are played with cards that are purchased solely to play the game. This does not include playing cards (think poker). This genre is best described by Magic: the Gathering, Epic, and Battle Spirits etc.

Role Playing Games *RPGs* ~ This genre is best described by Dungeons and Dragons. The players will play the role of a character while a Game Master tells the story and maintains the environment for the players.

Table Top Games *TTs*
    ~ Table Tops are board games, and not just Scrabble and Monopoly. This category also includes miniatures games such as Monsterpocalypse.

Video Games *VGs* ~ Video Games are games played either on your computer or on a typical home console system.

Comics/Manga ~ Graphic novels have always been a favorite of the typical gamer. A Graphic novel is essentially a book in which the story is told in pictures.

Fiction ~ Fiction is what it is. Books with words that are written to tell a story.

Movies/TV
    ~ Whether by the big or small screen, the gamer needs some kind of diversion from his games.

Music ~ The other great diversion. Music, so it has been said, soothes the savage beast.

Just so you know we have professional writers on staff as well as professional web design team. We are much like IGN etc. but cater to a more broad rang of games not just video games.

We also publish a magazine well more of an E-Zine
    Magazine Eye of the Vortex Online

This is all offered for free our.

Please do not be confused we are a professional site, not some hobby site running in some ones basement.

Here is the info about our "parent" company.

The company, CV Newton Publishing Limited -- owned by Chris Newton, began as a simple newsletter for the Magic fan-site, Magic Deck Vortex. At that time, Chris - Editor-in-Chief of the Writer's Guild - had undertaken the project of taking MDV to the next level. Unfortunately, it became known soon after he began that the vision that he had for the site was not the same vision that the owner, John Streetz, had for it. It was then that Chris decided to respectfully part ways with John and his website to establish a new business which could realize that vision and then some.

It was during this transition period (June of 200 that Chris began approaching some of the writers that he had worked with over the years: Alex Hoffman, Brian Ross, and Mark Manning. He further contacted the best graphics guy at MDV, Jason Ford, about doing the illustration for the magazine. Around then, Chris realized that he had no place to house the magazine and that he needed a website to do so. The problem was that he didn't have a clue as to how to go about doing that.

He placed a post in the MDV forums asking for help, and Michael Esposito II answered the call. After a grueling next couple of months, finally on January 2, 2009, the world watched as we gave birth to the mother ship: Eye of the Vortex.

Originally planned to simply house the magazine and serve as a social networking hub, the website has taken over. The magazine was discontinued in November of 2009, allowing all content to be published on the website.

Since the birth of Eye of the Vortex, the staff has grown from five men against the world to over ten men against the world and growing. Take a look at our Staffing Goals page, you may be able to fill a role and help us to achieve our ultimate victory -- to become...

... the 'Center of the Gaming Universe'.

The Magazine will be back.

Thanks for reading this novel lol

EoV Presents -> HP Lovecraft Contest
    I am please to announce a contest that we are rolling out for the readers of EoV in April. Are you a fan of the HP Lovecraft Horror Theme? Then you will love the contest that we are planning. In addition to the contest, we will be running a week of Lovecraftian Themed Articles to help get you into the mood of the contest.

It all starts on April 4th and runs through April 9th. We are giving away $100 in store credit for this contest, so be ready to Get Drawn In to the HP Lovecraft Contest, brought to you by Board Games 4 Us

Home Eye of the Vortex Online

nice but unfortunately i didn't like the design of the forum. why not use vbulletin or maybe ipb

Quote Originally Posted by Elan View Post
    nice but unfortunately i didn't like the design of the forum. why not use vbulletin or maybe ipb
    I'm sorry to hear you don't like the forum design. PHPBB is one of the most popular forums these days.

Stick around and give it a try.

pretty good site thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by jakethewho View Post
    pretty good site thanks a lot!
    Glad you liked it. Check out the forums

Eye of the Vortex Online Forums Index page

Could use some good posters like yourself.
    Last edited by Djdoubt03; 04-14-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Thread Information