Default Kansas City to close massive amount of schools

A divided Kansas City school board voted Wednesday night to move ahead with a historic plan to close 26 schools.

Hundreds of people in an overflow crowd — sometimes shouting out in dismay — watched with national media as the board ushered in Superintendent John Covington’s “Right Sizing Plan.”

While the nation may be watching to see whether Covington can carry out his sweeping plan, the superintendent and his board will tend to the task of working together in the weighty days ahead, board President Marilyn Simmons said.

“I do not think this is something for celebration,” she said after the 5-4 vote. “This is a somber moment.”

The school closings will reduce the number of district buildings by more than 40 percent and underpin Covington’s drive to cut $50 million from the shrunken district’s budget.

Read more: KansasCity.com | 404

This seems like a terrible idea, this seems like it's going to increase class size thus lowering teachers ability to focus on students with needs that exceed others and causes more and more problems

well, I don't think schools in the US are doing very good as they are and its not due to class size. We spend the most on education but have the lowest test scores. I wonder what the class sizes are in less wealthy countries and why they still have higher standards with better results.

I think our entire school structure more closely resembles a day care then a learning facility. I was however not the best student. I opted out of regular school for a program that allowed me to do my schoolwork and hold a full time job my senior year, so I never had to enter the building.

I did 6 months worth of work on about two weeks, and had to take the test at an off campus testing site and score over 90% on everything for it to count. I had no problem with that at all. I think my problem was not getting along with teachers. If you argue with them about anything, they don't explain why something is set up stupid, they just mentally check you off as a bad student and stop caring about your grades.

And the blatant discrimination that goes into anything graded by a teacher that doesn't like you doesn't help.

Why is individual time with each student such a great thing? How about we teach kids to read instructions better and write more clear concise learning material, and focus the class into what they need for a test.

Stop giving teachers the power to run class projects to kill time and bull****ting their way through grades. Because in the end the testing is all that matters.
    Last edited by BobTD; 03-16-2010 at 09:00 PM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

wow .. just .. wow ... :O

Wow what jango? The school closings or my views on our education?

Just to be clear its high school I think we are screwing up the most. Smaller classes at a younger age still seems like a good idea.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Thread Information