Default Slipknot bassist Paul Gray found dead at Urbandale hotel

Urbandale police are investigating the death of the bass guitarist for Grammy award-winning Slipknot at a local hotel.

Paul Dedrick Gray, 38, of Johnston was found dead at approximately 10:50 a.m. today by an employee at TownePlace Suites, 8800 Northpark Drive, police said.

There was no evidence of foul play, police said, but the investigation is ongoing. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday. Toxicology tests will be done.

Gray was a founding member of Slipknot and one of only two members not born in Iowa. The band broke into the mainstream with a platinum-selling self-titled debut in 1999. Two follow-ups, 2002's "Iowa" and 2005's "Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses)" also went platinum. The band has been nominated for seven Grammy awards, winning in 2006 for best metal performance.

“It’s just a devastating loss for the Des Moines music scene and the world’s music scene,” said Matt Nyberg, who was dubbed “First Maggot” by Slipknot’s Shawn Crahan. Nyberg’s band Facecage is on Slipknot lead singer Corey Taylor’s Great Big Mouth Records. “He was always one of the nicest guys. You never heard anything negative from him."

In 2008, Slipknot released its most recent album, “All Hope Is Gone,” and toured arenas, including its first-ever show at Wells Fargo Arena in January. The band ended its tour cycle in October, and members of the band have been working on individual projects since then.

Gray was arrested on drug charges in June 2003, after he crashed his Porsche into a Des Moines motorist at Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway and Carpenter Avenue.

Police charged Gray with marijuana possession, cocaine possession, possession of drug paraphernalia and a red-light violation. He later pleaded guilty to operating while under the influence of drugs, and was sentenced to one year of informal probation.

His court file included a handwritten note from Dr. Joe Takamine, who described a conversation with Gray about his “sporadic use of various drugs and of the long periods of abstinence in between.”

Takamine concluded that Gray was not addicted to any drug and understood the consequences of drug use.

"In light of his past and present history and because of his great love of music, I feel that Mr. Gray will refrain from future use of mind-altering chemicals," Takamine wrote.
    You will truly be missed RIP..

That's sad. Another dead celebrity found in a hotel room. Sounds like OD but I'll wait for the toxicology report before jumping to conclusions.

RIP.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Nooooo

Rip

i have no clue who this dude is, but it sounds like it matters to u .. so RIP in that respect

from a musical standpoint, not really a big deal (unless you're a big slipknot fan which i know you are)

but he's still a human, with a family, wife, and i hear he has a child on the way? RIP bro

Shame, not a big fan of Slipknot but still sad to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by jango View Post
    i have no clue who this dude is, but it sounds like it matters to u .. so RIP in that respect
    well you know how he gets with slipknot on IRC and this dude was in slipknot

Quote Originally Posted by thedeparted View Post
    well you know how he gets with slipknot on IRC and this dude was in slipknot
    aye .. but regardless .. all i can muster is a respectful *shrug*

His death was top story on google news for 3 hours yesterday damn

is that good or bad?

Thread Information