Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I buy a PS3, XBox 360 or a Wii?

Hey, I'm a 13 year old boy who has never really been that much in to gaming although I have got a PS2 and a GameCube (haha). I really want a some kinda proper games console, maybe to play online with friends but mainly just to have lots of fun. Yesterday I had a go on my friends Wii and I really enjoyed playing Tennis and what not, but are there that many good titles for Wii? I also played on her PS3 which was really good and I lovd the graphics and online. I have never really been on a 360 but heard great reviews and as it is cheaper than the PS3 am leaning more towards that. Oh yeah and just to throw another spanner in the works I have a budget of around £180 max. (Which I know kinda excludes teh PS3 but maybe a second hand one would do)

Really apreciate any suggestions/help,

Thanks

Sam

well, lets see

Xbox 360:
    pros:
    more games
    better online
    cheaper
    cons:
    online is $50/year
    RROD

Wii:
    pros:
    innovative motion control
    mario and such
    cons:
    not HD
    least powerful
    online is a hassle (i can't get it to work)

ps3:
    pros:
    blu ray
    free online
    great exclusives
    cons:
    expensive

the wii's game library is generally weak, because it's mostly crap that people just put out, since nintendo doesn't have any sort of quality control on games that come out. it does, however, have the classic mario and zelda and such style games. The graphics are passable, but it has no hi def, which IMO is it's greatest fault. the graphics look a bit blurry.

the 360 has a great interface and great online, and a comfortable controller (though i hate the button layout and the trigger/bumper as opposed to the ps3's layout and the 1/2 buttons) but the online does cost $50/year (about $3 a month) but you can still have a friends list and communicate with them even if you don't pay. you just can't play games online. You have stuff like Halo and Gears of war on the 360, plus earlier multiplatform games generally run better on the 360. its also the least reliable of the 3. It can also play certain original Xbox games (you can find a list online)

the PS3 has a blu ray player, which looks fantastic, as well as another great layout. the controller is a bit strange to hold, but it has a great layout of buttons I think. The online is free, but its pretty basic. you can't make your own characters and stuff, and its just overall harder to manage than the 360 online, I feel. it's more reliable than the 360, and has great games too. Older models have full backwards compatability, more recent ones can only play PS1 games.

some other minor things:
    the wii is the smallest
    the 360 has changable faceplates
    the ps3 older models are shiny, but easy to scratch

Wii has games, but it sounds like you should be getting a 360 and wtf at you PS2 not a proper console. za million games, best ever!

Whats's putting me of off the 360 is the payed online and I really like the blu-ray on the PS3, but I do really like the 360

well it's only 50/yr but I suppose for a 13 yo that could be considered more than it really is.

and if I was gonna' get a 360 then which model would you think is best?

I'd personally get a Elite so I don't have to worry about space. That's what I am getting when I get a 360

i got a 360 Elite, but they're the same price of a PS3 nowadays. I saw at walmart though, Elites are bundled with Forza 3 and Halo ODST. However, the cheaper models don't have hard drives, so you'd either have to buy an external one ($$$$$$) or memory cards

edit: or don't download anything or save any games. which kind of defeats the purpose of playing games, but eh.

Well I kinda had the same problem, so I went out and scoured the net for more reviews and such than I can remember. If you're looking for online play that's free, then I'd say go with the PS3. You need broadband for that just so you know though, something I overlooked. -_-

Plus any scratched PS1 games that you might have not really been able to play too well or see anything but choppy cinematics with is pretty much seamless with the PS1's playback function. I'm talking about the PS3 Slim though, I don't know how the other version(s) of it are as far as that goes. I haven't come across a game that's been messing up on me (PS1 game) so far when they looked like they wouldn't play, and didn't on my PS2. Might not be true for all PS1 games though.

As far as the games, Xbox 360 and PS3 have pretty much the same games, with a few exceptions.

Anyway, there's a view from a PS3 owner.
    Forgiveness is a six gun, teach me how to shoot. The truth is like a moving target, forgiveness is a six gun.
    There is no forgiveness.

Forgiveness Is A Six Gun - DevilDriver

Id go with the 360, yeah u gotta pay for online but its well worth it. Plus u can pick up a blue ray player cheap these days if its that big of a deal.

Thread Information