Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Teen solo sailor missing

An Australian jet joined a race against time Friday to reach solo sailor Abby Sunderland after the U.S. teenager triggered emergency beacons after battling 6-metre swells and 90 km-per-hour winds in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) spokeswoman Carly Lusk said a chartered Airbus had taken off from Perth and was on a four— hour flight heading for the search area 3,600 km from the Western Australia state capital.

“Going by the actual drift of the beacon in the water we are hoping that she is still inside the vessel,” Lusk told public broadcaster ABC.

She said crew on the Airbus would try to spot Sunderland’s sailboat, Wild Eyes, and contact the girl by VHF radio when they reached the search area.

According to Lusk, the nearest ship is 500 kilometres away and was not expected to get to the rescue zone for 24 hours.

Sunderland began her round-the-world voyage in January, hoping to trump Australian Jessica Watson’s mark and become the youngest circumnavigator.

Watson, who was five months older than Sunderland when she set off from Sydney, completed the trip last month, days short of her 17th birthday.

Technical problems aboard Wild Eyes forced Sunderland into port in South Africa, ending her bid to beat the solo-and-unassisted record.

Laurence Sunderland told the ABC that he had grave fears for his daughter, saying his hope was that the keel had broken off and Abby was in a “bubble” inside Wild Eyes.

“Right now we’re hoping that if indeed the boat is upside down, then the keel is actually off the boat and giving the boat a positive flotation factor, and that she’s inside the bubble, safe,” he said in a telephone interview from his home in California.

“However, we all have breaking points, and she’s had a couple of boisterous days out there, so it’s going to be a bit of a miracle here,” he said.

On a blog in which Abby documented her trip — Abby's Blog her parents posted a message Thursday about her current plight.

They said that Abby had manually activated both the boat’s emergency beacon and a second beacon carried on her person. But the vessel’s water—activated beacon had not gone off, “so we are hopeful that the boat is still upright.” “Abby has all of the equipment on board to survive a crisis situation like this,” they wrote. “She has a dry suit, survival suit, life raft, and ditch bag with emergency supplies. If she can keep warm and hang on, help will be there as soon as possible.” Wild Eyes was “designed for travel in the Southern Ocean and is equipped with 5 airtight bulkheads to keep her buoyant in the event of major hull damage ... and is designed to self—right in the event of capsize,” the blog said.

Abby’s last post of her own, dated Wednesday, said: “The last few days have pretty busy out here. I’ve been in some rough weather for awhile with winds steady at 40-45 knots with higher gusts.” Watson family spokesman Andrew Fraser said a message of hope had been sent to Sunderland’s family. “We’re hoping she is OK and are trying to stay positive,” Fraser said.

So I wonder if she's still alive. 6 meter and 90 km seas is pretty nasty for regular boats and she's going in just...

She should be in school getting an education not trying to get attention for doing something stupid.

Attention whore, it is stil lsad she is lost at sea.

She's like an IRL Cast Away cept she chose to be like this and has a better boat than Tom Hanks. I wonder how she keeps her sanity

5 bucks her best friend will be a used tampon >.>

............ew

I heard about this earlier today (or technically yesterday) - and she had internet...in today's world, interacting with internet beings can probably help you keep your sanity...although I've never tried it.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

someone explain to me why she is doing this beyond the attention whore thing. Because there is no logical reason to do this

Quote Originally Posted by SbsJokerlockdown View Post
    someone explain to me why she is doing this beyond the attention whore thing. Because there is no logical reason to do this
    Maybe she's crazy? Guess it's like doing something you always wanted to do. Just because you can't find logic in this doesn't mean she can't. Like some people want to go to the moon and they know why they want to go but they can't really force anyone else to understand. The point is that, some stuff can't be objectively looked at.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Objective or subjective either way she is doing it for attention, wow the youngest to go around the world and i do believe in the article she said she wanted to beat someone else. There is no logic, and you are right because i cant find any doesnt mean she cant.

but getting yourself killed at such an young age isnt really worth it.

offtopic: 500th post!!
    Last edited by Jokersvirus; 06-10-2010 at 11:34 PM.

That's the thing about when you're young, you think you're invincible. She probably didn't even think about "death" anywhere in her planning.

And you can assume she's doing it for attention, it might as well be the case. Without speaking to her personally, all we can do is assume.

If she prepared well, she'll probably survive.

Thread Information