Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Words are actually very important, Joker. They are pretty much the basis of our entire civilization. You guys are making it out like I am crazed and super angry about this. I'm not. I just think it was a post made in poor judgment. You (or your brother) make huge generalizations about women, and many people do on this forum, which is rather irksome. I don't think anything in that post was respectful to women at all, so while you may be respectful in person, it is not coming across here.

I understand that you were making a joke -- but just because you may have meant it harmlessly, does not mean that the joke itself doesn't portray very disrespectful sentiments, and I don't feel that this is particularly appropriate in this setting. If you were to say it somewhere else, it would have a somewhat different context, if you catch what I am saying.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Well words might be the basis of our civilization but that doesnt mean that everything has to be taken in a critical sense.
    My brother and I dont make huge generalizations about women. We make law enforcement related jokes. Is that wrong? No. That would be like saying Chris Rock is racist every-time he says the word "cracker," Or George Carlin, may he rest in peace, was a homophobe every time he said something about a gay, which he did once or twice.

Cause I make a bad joke doesnt mean im sexist, I generalize women, I disrespect women, a joke is a joke. A joke is something meant to be funny and you hit and miss with them.

So I missed with this one, got a laugh out of some people not you.

its not all wives that only have sex after a date or something special...
    but I can imagine if their husband became fat and lazy that they would only do it after getting something ^_^

Having been marreid now for 19 years part of me agrees quite a bit with the OP, however, I think the Righteous Brothers had it right, you lose that loving feeling. After the newness wears off and everything becomes routine then the only way to get what you want from the male perspective is to shower them with gifts, which makes the woman feel special and wanted.

With going on about the lack of sex after marriage....

Did you ever stop to think that after awhile the husband stops spending TIME on his wife, and therefore she stops feeling the need to express her love in a physical way?

Edit: Missed Ops post while I was posting... this is where the TIME thing comes in... we can make our own money and buy our own stuff... just spend time with us and we're golden.

And regardless of if it was meant to be a joke or not is irrelevant. Would you say a racist joke to someone of that race? Why would you post a sexist joke on a public thread where you know women will read it. It's just rude.
    Last edited by Dess; 08-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.

A joke is a joke.

putting a spin of sex, race, class, nationality, whatever means you are not open to the joke yet look for flaws that make the joke offensive to you.

Calling a joke a sexist joke, a racist joke is trying to blur the fact that its a joke and its meant to be funny.

I will go back to my Chris Rock example. He says cracker and makes cracker jokes, yet he isnt shunned.

George Carlin made references using the N word. He was never shunned.

someone will say they are famous, yes but they still made a joke, and that is what I did. Doesnt matter if they are famous or not a joke is a joke.
    Last edited by Jokersvirus; 08-08-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffincat View Post
    Words are actually very important, Joker. They are pretty much the basis of our entire civilization. You guys are making it out like I am crazed and super angry about this. I'm not. I just think it was a post made in poor judgment. You (or your brother) make huge generalizations about women, and many people do on this forum, which is rather irksome. I don't think anything in that post was respectful to women at all, so while you may be respectful in person, it is not coming across here.

I understand that you were making a joke -- but just because you may have meant it harmlessly, does not mean that the joke itself doesn't portray very disrespectful sentiments, and I don't feel that this is particularly appropriate in this setting. If you were to say it somewhere else, it would have a somewhat different context, if you catch what I am saying.
    I don't think they mean that at all - a joke's a joke. Yes, people have their own opinions, but most take almost everything out of context and flip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    Would you say a racist joke to someone of that race?
    Yes, actually, I would. You don't get upset every time black people say the N word do you? Because that's just as racist as anyone else using it, as the most basic of levels.

It's not so much that they're saying it to demean anyone, it's supposed to be light-hearted. However, in these times you can't take a step without someone getting offended and getting all up-in-arms about even the smallest topic.

Thread Information