Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Georgian Woman's Claim to Be 130 Is Hard to Prove

(July 10) – A 130-year-old woman in the former Soviet state of Georgia appears to have outlived her own birth certificate and any other documents she can use to prove her longevity.

Antisa Khvichava's family says her Soviet-era passport and pension book list her birthday as July 8, 1880. A spokesman for Georgia's justice ministry confirmed that to VOA News and several other media on Thursday, when Khvichava celebrated what she said was her 130th birthday.

But those documents aren't as old as she is. Georgia only became part of the Soviet Union in 1922. When Khvichava was allegedly born, her country was part of the Russian empire.
    Antisa Khvichava is a Georgian woman who claims to be 130 years old
    AFP / Getty Images
    Antisa Khvichava, shown here on July 8, is purported to be the oldest person in the world. But experts say her claim can be proved only with documents dating to the time of her birth.

It appears that her birth certificate and any other documents from the year 1880 haven't survived the test of time as well as she has. They were all lost over the years in wars and revolutions.

Without 130-year-old documents, Khvichava can't prove her age and claim her title as the world's oldest person.

"Otherwise, this claim will remain a curiosity in a newspaper or floating on the Internet," Stephen Coles, a University of California lecturer and a member of the Gerontology Research Group, which keeps track of the world's oldest residents, told The Associated Press.

Officially, the world's oldest person is Eugenie Blanchard, born on the Caribbean island in Guadeloupe on February 16, 1896, according to GRG.

Still, the dilemma didn't' prevent Khvichava from celebrating what she believes was her 130th birthday on Thursday.

"I feel a bit weak, but I don't want to stay in bed," Khvichava told Reuters as she invited guests to a birthday party in her small stone house in a remote Georgian mountain village. Among the guests were some of her ten grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren, along with officials from the Georgian capital Tbilisi.

Khvichava is believed to have ended her formal schooling after fourth grade, and spent her life growing tea, corn and vegetables and looking after cattle. She retired as a tea and corn picker in 1965 at the age of 85.

On Thursday, her family baked her a birthday cake with three candles in the shape of the numbers "1-3-0." It took her five tries, but eventually she managed to blow them out.
    Source: Experts Cast Doubt on 130-Year-Old Antisa Khvichava's Age

Maybe count the rings in her legs?

Well joking aside, I'm not an expert with DNA but I always thought you can run a test to see how old a person exactly was.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

There isnt really a way to prove it with DNA. If there is I would be interested in that.

As much as DNA is everything you are we as a race have only cracked a way to match it to unknown samples and stuff.

My first question is why isnt there any record of her on file?

This is a bit fishy, its possible files were destroyed by raids or something, im not very up to day on my Russian history.

So it just seems a bit off to me

I doubt it. but hey would be cool, that'd break the known record by 8-9 years

Can't humans only live to be 125 physically? Or is it 135? Either way that's some seriously crazy crap. You never know with the Russian government though. They aren't exactly known for telling the truth.

well the guiness record says 122

Wikimedia Error

Although im sure they're has been people fall through the cracks

Quote Originally Posted by BocReaper View Post
    Can't humans only live to be 125 physically? Or is it 135?
    In the 15-16 century, the oldest people were probably around 50-60 at most. As time progressed, and medicine improved as well as lifestyle of people, the age limit increased. I'm sure one day that 125 will be changed to 225 (a small theory of mine) - we probably won't be alive to see it though.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

prolly. I wouldn't be surprised one bit. that is if we don't completely f our planet up before hand lol

What with the fact we still have to tap DNA fully, genetic therapy in the future, the concept of genetic engineering. The types of cells we could create. I wouldn't be surprised if we pushed it to 225 or more.

she sure as hell looks 130

it would be nice to only be half through our lifes at age 112,5 imagine how many games and consoles there would be released in 100 years
    Last edited by Newkeh; 07-10-2010 at 08:04 PM.

thats creepy

and if its possible or not?
    Its probably possible. there is some crazy **** out there
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Thread Information