Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miley Cyrus going away? plz pretty plz

YOU might think that it would be worried, overprotective mothers who would rebel against the overt sexualization of the teenage star Miley Cyrus, who became a pop phenomenon as Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel hit show. But no. It’s the young girls who think Ms. Cyrus has gone too far. And many of them are moving on.

So last month, when Ms. Cyrus released her post-adolescent anthem, “Can’t Be Tamed,” her once-adoring fan was unimpressed, unmoved by, among other things, the singer’s sexy music video.

“It was weird,” Perry said of Ms. Cyrus’s bird wings and black ribbon corset. “I feel like she acts 25. She looks so old. She is too old for herself.” She, like others her age, has had enough. First-week album sales for the more adult “Can’t Be Tamed” tallied a mere 102,389, according to Nielsen SoundScan, which tracks music sales. That was 72 percent less than her 2008 solo debut, “Breakout,” and 33 percent less than last year’s “Time of Our Lives,” both of which were popular with teenagers.

Ms. Cyrus’s appeal among those age 13 to 17 has dropped, too, according to E-Poll Market Research, a brand and celebrity research firm. Of those surveyed online recently, only 24 percent said they liked or liked her a lot, compared with 45 percent in 2008. Those who track preteens are noticing the shift. Tina Wells, a market research executive who consults with Fortune 500 companies, said Ms. Cyrus ranked No. 7 in April on its list of celebrities considered cool by children 8 to 12 years old. Two years ago she was No. 1.

It is tricky for any teenage star to navigate the path to adulthood. (Britney Spears? Lindsay Lohan?) But Ms. Cyrus, it seems, is alienating her fans faster than she is gaining new ones. Partly to blame is last year’s pole dance at the Teen Choice Awards, and the recent video posted on TMZ of her giving a lap dance to a 44-year-old film director.

Some parents chalk up her behavior to teenage angst. “It doesn’t surprise me what she is going through,” said Wendy Ellis, a mother of two from Odenton, Md. “The raging hormones. She is testing the limits of the box and what is appropriate.”

BUT young girls are not always as forgiving as their mothers. Jenna Ellis, 7, said she watches “Hannah Montana” only when her 9-year-old sister, Regan, isn’t watching Nickelodeon’s “iCarly,” a popular series about a young girl who creates her own Web show. Jenna doesn’t want Ms. Cyrus to “do what she doesn’t want to do,” but added, “I wish she’d be the same as the show.”

Indeed, much of the conversation about Ms. Cyrus between Ms. Ellis and her daughters has focused on the notion that Miley Cyrus and her television alter ego are separate personas. Regan, for one, said she is bored by Ms. Cyrus’s new act. “She used to be more kid-friendly, sweeter,” Regan said. “Now she is just Miley.”

Valerie Gonzalez, 15, of San Fernando, Calif., has enjoyed Hannah Montana’s wholesome antics since the show’s 2006 debut. That is why she was shocked when she turned on the “Teen Choice Awards” last August and saw Ms. Cyrus dancing in top-of-the-thigh shorts and black boots.

“What I don’t like so much is she is exposing herself,” Valerie said. Recently, she was struck by Ms. Cyrus’s writhing on a bed of peacock feathers in the “Can’t Be Tamed” music video. “I don’t think she is going down the right path,” Valerie said.

Teenagers are Ms. Cyrus’s core demographic, but the singer is seeking older fans, too, which puts the onus on parents to explain her motives. One member of TwitterMoms posted a comment about her daughter, saying, “It’s my job as a parent to explain to her why Miley is changing and to point out she is a performer, an actress and singer.”

Besides, there is always a fresh face to satisfy the teenage crowd. Valerie Gonzalez is now smitten with Selena Gomez, who stars in Disney’s “Wizards of Waverly Place.” And few can ignore the demure 20-year-old female country singer who has become a favorite: Taylor Swift. Already Ms. Ellis has had to explain to Regan what the phrase “gave everything she had to a boy” meant in Ms. Swift’s song “15.”

Still, Perry Hamm could barely contain her excitement when she brought up her name.

“I think she is so adorable,” she squealed. “I think her songs are really catchy!”

okay okay your 15 minutes... now gtfo. buy she should grateful she still reached 100k, think of all the good indie's that won't even reach lifetime sales of that

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Hahahahaha. Oh man. This made me laugh so hard. XD

^ Sig by Foofle ^

LMFAO

you get whats comin to ya, i suppose
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

i like the cover of her new album. idk about the music, as i have yet to (and probably never will) listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSG6z_13-Q

she looks pretty hot in this one.

...that doesn't look like something i wanna watch.

anyways, selena gomez seems to have potential. maybe focus will shift to her, with hannah montana ending and all

I still got a thing for Demi Lovato out of those 3 loll

its not something anyone should watch. She looks constipated through half the thing, so I don't know where you're getting 'hot' from, Jak. lol

Also the song is ridiculous and "IM A GROWN UP I SWEAR D:"
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Quote Originally Posted by LemonRising View Post
    its not something anyone should watch. She looks constipated through half the thing, so I don't know where you're getting 'hot' from, Jak. lol

Also the song is ridiculous and "IM A GROWN UP I SWEAR D:"
    HAWHAW... but yeah I agreee with your assessment of the song, she defiantly trying to escape the lil girl disney girl portrayal with it

Quote Originally Posted by thedeparted View Post
    I still got a thing for Demi Lovato out of those 3 loll
    she's the wallpaper on my ipod touch <3

Thread Information