Default Achron: a real time strategy game with time travel. Yes, you read that right.

Wild concept, right? Apparently some group of college kids from the 90s got together and lived my secret life dream - starting developing a game over a couple decades as a small and exclusive team and are planning the release of their incredibly mature and precious product at some point in early 2011 (at least at the time being.)

According to an article I found while desperately craving a new RTS to play, the people developing this game were inspired by Homeworld, the first RTS to effectively use three dimensions, to make an RTS that used four dimensions - or time travel. They went from there into several months of concept design... and then started to code their unique game engine.

The article has an embedded video that demonstrates how the time travel gameplay works. You can even buy and download the alpha version of Achron from the game's site for $29.95 and help continue testing the game for the small group of zealous developers (and give them a little funding for a project that otherwise comes completely out of their own pockets, too!)

The game looks so tight because of the time, thought, and care put into it that it's worth talking about how tight it is even at the risk of setting up a terrible "that's what she said" joke. I also really, really liked Homeworld and really, really like Indie games and did I mention that these college kids are living my secret dream? I need to find some game designer friends and do something like this to release in 2030...

I think this looks AWESOME, what are your thoughts? Anyone wanna try playing the alpha together for 30 bucks?

tl;dr - Achron is an RTS with the unique feature of allowing players to time travel. It was developed by a small group of college kids over the course of 20 years. Release date projected to early 2011, alpha build available now for $30. I really like everything I see about this game!
    Last edited by Diligence109; 07-20-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

I would have played if I was into RTS. I'm not a big fan of the genre and I haven't even played a regular Strategy game since Civ IV.

But if you pay $30 for the alpha version, do you get a discount when the game is released? Usually game providers release alpha and beta versions for free. At first privately and then maybe publicly.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

20 years development... goddamn. I hope it works out for them.

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

This looks awesome O_O

I hope it's super cool D:

but

it's worth talking about how tight it is even at the risk of setting up a terrible "that's what she said" joke.
    Wouldn't that be a "That's what HE said" moment?

Anyway. I hope the time travel is awesome because that souuuundssss awesome and basically I want to play it.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

20years!!!!! geeez... I like how the game works tho..

I heard about this Awhile Back saw some Gameplay etc.

Looks Really Cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PuVyZGrYE
    Last edited by Shixx; 07-20-2010 at 09:41 PM.

I like the level of strategy here. However I think they need better arts direction. The sepia tone created going back in time makes its hard to identify objects. I know its a little cliche but I think if the tone was a black and white overlay so that you lost color for going back in time would look better.

Other then my own aesthetic tastes, I really don't have any criticism for the game. I hope it turns out well, I like to see new ideas pushing the boundaries of gaming.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

wow that looks really freaking awesome.

Thread Information