Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post 11 States Favor California Game Law

Go here......

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1107498p1.html

and here........... This one a long read.....

Games, Film and Fantasy Fulfillment - PS3 Feature at IGN

As well as here......

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1086057p1.html

I'm kinda in favor of this law.. Just b/c I dont like hearing little kids online... Plus I thought this was already a law b/c every time I buy a M rated game I get ID...

Yet even if they do pass this I dont think I'll change anything... Parents will just get the kids the game just to shut them up.... I mean thats how they get the game now... Kids ask for it and the parents get it for them..

Does anyone else get ID when buying a M rated game or is it just me?

But...doesn't this law already exist? or is it like T rated games now too?

Yea, I get id'd, but i think most people can tell i'm old enough.
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 07-21-2010 at 07:38 PM.

I guess it for what ever game that as violence in it...

Ok you cant sell to minors, Mommy can you go buy me this game heres my money i earned

Fail law!

Wat? Isn't the rating system in place for this? The reason kids get violent games is because mommy is a failure who thinks M= Monkey. This'll just change everything. Fail.

This is already in place. I remember having to enforce it all the time at Target. Also I used to get ID'd at the local gamestop, but now the manager and the guy usually there during the week recognize me and don't bother anymore. That and them seeing you pull up driving a car solo kinda gives it away.

This is actually a little more serious if its an attempt to take power away from the ESRB rating board, the system that self governs the content in games. Right now it may be voluntary for some stats to restrict sales, but where i live the rating system works the same as movie rating systems in how businesses deal with minors.

If we continue to look further at the proposed argument you start to see a lot of other questionable parts of whats being argued and by who:

""The interactive nature of video games is vastly different than passively listening to music, watching a movie or reading a book," it states. "This immersion results in a more powerful experience and potentially dangerous learned behavior in children and youth"
    I would like to see examples of learned behavior from video games, because im pretty sure driving a car in a game doesnt count towards hours behind the wheel to pass drivers ed. I will of course contact my local high school to confirm this. =P

The fact that someone is pushing behavioral conditioning into the legal consideration is what worries me the most. If the graphic content of games is starting to exceed that of movies in terms of realism, maybe laws should adapt (I dont feel we are quite there yet). And I agree we should still make every effort to make it the parents choice when they feel their children are ready for such mature content.

But scapegoating using video games for societies problems to further a career is pretty shady.

The blame game is a popular political voting tool I understand, but finding cause and effect for violent behavior has no definitive link to video games, and there are weighty research papers and polls, and studies all contradicting each other, but never anything definitive. The moment anyone could solidly link an increased crime rate with a form of medium I promise you it will be on every channel.

But most likely, like I have always pointed out, human beings are violent by nature and really don't need any excuses.
    Last edited by BobTD; 07-21-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Miltiary use it for training purposes, but they spend upwards of 100s of hours a week, while most kids only play upwards of 5-8 hours a day.

They want to blame video games for everything, ADD, ADHD, school shootings, school violence, etc etc. There is no need to the list of BS they tag onto video games.

Oh snap, so maybe you can learn behaviors from video games, but in a fundamentally different way:

Quote Originally Posted by SbsJokerlockdown View Post
    Miltiary use it for training purposes, but they spend upwards of 100s of hours a week, while most kids only play upwards of 5-8 hours a day.

They want to blame video games for everything, ADD, ADHD, school shootings, school violence, etc etc. There is no need to the list of BS they tag onto video games.
    I doubt they make people play these simulators for hundreds of hours a week, I have never heard anything like that and I have lots of family in multiple branches of the military.

Flight schools use simulators as well. These are different from normal video games because you are in a large box with a peripheral screen, and tasks with the objective of taking the training seriously and applying it along side real life studies.

The army uses these simulators for driving as well as many other training forms, but its important to note they would not use these if they where shown to increase aggression. They teach tactical thinking and objective based reasoning along with familiarizing yourself with tactics and equipment.

Again, I want to emphasize these are not games that make you more violent. If such a thing where possible. =P
    Last edited by BobTD; 07-22-2010 at 12:55 AM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

There's also been studies linking video games to better dexterity and hand-eye coordination. I think my favorite is the short term violence increase link. I like to call it adrenaline.

Thread Information