Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

2 officers out of jobs in wake of repeated Tasering of woman | ajc.com

Here's some more, by someone who apparently read the police report.

And...FIGHT!

^ Sig by Foofle ^

I have a friend who is a cop so I know they have to use excessive force sometimes but that was extremely unnecessary. Wow....

Some have speculated there was a racial component to the altercation between Wells and the policemen;
    “I don’t think they would have done a white female like that,” said Jones, who is black. “If they had, it wouldn’t have been any doubt about whether they need to be terminated.”
    Yes lets make this a race case just to get some more money out of it and to make people hate the police even more. Great logic, if this was a racial issue, why wasnt the N word dropped, why wasnt other demeaning words dropped? Hmm? Makes no sense
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But all agree that the struggle between Wells, 57, and Murphy, 52, started because she would not tell him the name of a friend who was at her house in Richland, 35 miles southeast of Columbus, when Murphy arrived around 9:30 p.m. on April 26.

According to Robinson, Wells and the police reports, the officer only asked Robinson how long he had known Wells, the status of their relationship and where he lived. Murphy asked nothing more, not even Robinson's name.

Moments later Robinson left. Murphy wrote he let the man leave because it is best to seperate people in domestic violence situations.

“I could always arrest him later if I needed to since he lived nearby,” Murphy wrote in a report obtained by the AJC.

As Robinson pulled out of the driveway, Murphy asked Wells for her friend's name.

She refused to give it.

“'You don’t need to know that,'” Murphy wrote in his report was Wells' response. “I told her that she would need to give me the information that I needed or she would be arrested for obstruction. I explained that state law mandates that we investigate to determine if there has been any family violence.”
    Not sure about this, he could have asked for it while he was there, but ya in alot of states if you dont answer the police officer's questions during an investigation You can be arrested. So thats a bit confusing.
    Unless the officer believed he wasnt not a suspect he had no right to hold him so he let him go, which makes sense,but he should have asked for his name.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    She retrieved her purse and began walking around the side of her house until Murphy said he was taking her to jail.

“Janice then backed up from me in a fight or flight stance and I grabbed her arm and placed a handcuff on it,” Murphy wrote. “She pulled away and she took off. I sprayed her with pepper spray. I chased her around the house and tripped and fell, injuring my knee just as I caught up with her. As I was once again walking her to the car, she broke loose again and ran. She tripped and fell and I grabbed her again. As we got to the car, I attempted to get the other handcuff on her and get her in the car.”

Wells told the AJC, she finally stopped.
    Ok she began to walk away from an investigation and the officer used his authority to arrest her, he is within his rights. She resisted arrest and took a fight or flight stance and a small chase happened.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smith is heard threatening a more aggressive setting on his Taser.

And then he used it again.

Smith said he probably discharged the Taser three or four times for a total of six seconds. One of those times, he shocked himself.
    First off you cant use a "more aggressive setting on a taser," it is set at 50k volts You cant change that.
    total of six seconds of shock, which could have been 15 to 20 seconds tops.

The sound from the video suggests he discharged the device at least four times.

Wells' attorney, Gary Parker, said it may have been as many as 12 times. Parker said no decision has been made on filing a lawsuit but he is talking with local officials about a resolution.
    Yes the lawyer knows best doesnt he? Oh wait he just wants more money. Go figure right?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So ok, they are fired because of a small situation where the officer did something wrong and didnt ask for the other person's name ok. She refused to give it she walked away and he arrested her and used a taser to get her under control, what is wrong with this situation?

/sigh

I find it funny, people say using a taser is extreme force and brutality, yet using a dog is under the taser on the force continuum, did you guys know that?
    Last edited by Jokersvirus; 07-24-2010 at 12:38 PM.

It was another police officer who speculated it may have a race component. Is that l=police officer conspiring against the police then? Your not even arguing on topic anyways. I haven't said anything about race being a factor, just that the police handled the situation wrong.

So yeah, my basic reaction to the article seems to be right on the money.

The rest of your post is pretty much supporting my position, so meh.

And yes it makes sense that the taser is under the "extreme force" classification if it is considered more dangerous then using a trained dog. It probably has to do with potentially permanent and unpredictable damage cause by electro shock. While a dog is used usually to find drugs. Sometimes for intimidation, but almost never as an attack dog.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Ok Ok,

I am curious. So explain in detail why a taser should be considered "extreme force." heres a good question for you, can police officers tase someone who is in handcuffs?
    I would like for you to justify to me why these police officers are in the wrong. Situation after situation after situation are cops put on trail by the media and the community for using force, judged by those who know nothing about police operations. Its like this how are you, a person who knows nothing about law enforcement or force tactics, able to make a judgement saying that police were in the wrong?
    Last edited by Jokersvirus; 07-25-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Thread Information