Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homeless man breaks into church

So I was reading this story on facebook about a homeless man who broke into a church left a note and admitted he was sorry for the deed. Do you think he should be punished?

Henry County, Ind. —
    A Henry County church is broken into and the intruder leaves behind a note explaining his act.

On Sunday morning, a church member found a broken window and a note at the Blountsville Church of the Nazarene.

The note stated that the intruder was homeless, had nowhere to turn to and was tired from walking from downtown Muncie-- about 10 miles away.The note also stated that he tried to fall asleep behind the church, but the weather turned bad and he broke in for shelter.

The intruder said he was sorry and would send money to fix the window.

Church Parishioners were touched and will likely not seek charges against the intruder.

The Henry County Sheriff's Department was notified for insurance purposes.

Detective Sergeant Edward Manning says even though it is unfortunate, a crime was committed. "The answer is not to force your way into any place and think that would be okay."

Pastor John North wishes he could have done more to help. “I hope that he finds help some place. I wish I could have been close by somewhere and I could have been some assistance to him."

The sheriff's department says shelters and resources are available in Henry and Delaware counties for people who need a place to stay.

The intruder could be charged with misdemeanor criminal mischief and could face a maximum sentence of a year in jail plus fines.

The cost of fixing the window is estimated at $100.

Pastor North says the church’s financial situation makes fixing the window difficult.

The Blountsville Church of the Nazarene has an average congregation of less than 10 people.

Yes I believe he should.
    I hope he can get his life together.

It's called trying to survive. I vote no. I vote someone donate the man some **** and money and give him a helping hand

Yeah, when even the local church is to poor to help you know things are hard. My bet is that is the church had sounded more forgiving they would have gotten some good donations.

Homeless people in the news have a good chance of getting help.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

no.. the man has no home for ****s-sakes. on the other hand..he'll have a place to stay when he goes to jail. win - win situation hmm?

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    Yeah, when even the local church is to poor to help you know things are hard. My bet is that is the church had sounded more forgiving they would have gotten some good donations.

Homeless people in the news have a good chance of getting help.
    The fact that they aren't seeking to press charges and whatnot sounds pretty forgiving to me... O_o

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Ok jak, here is a question for you. You voted no on punishing the man for trying to survive, would you be as forgiving if he broke into your home and did the same thing?

Ok jak, here is a question for you. You voted no on punishing the man for trying to survive, would you be as forgiving if he broke into your home and did the same thing?
    I'm going to answer this too.

If he didn't do anything, I would be mad, but I would be forgiving. I'm not going to try and ruin this mans life even more, Pretty soon he would just go crazy.

I mean the guy is a homeless person yes, but he is still a person and he deserves a chance.

A window isn't as important as a mans life and sanity.
    Last edited by Rachel; 08-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.

This is true.

He is someone who is down on his luck and i feel bad for him, but I think he still needs to be punished one way or another. If he goes to jail for upwards of a year he will have a warm bed, food, etc. Also he could try and reach out to shelters and or other places to try and help me when he is released.

So jail doesnt look good but it could help him so he can have somewhere to sleep.

9 times out of 10 when property damage is done the owner has to press charges for the arrest, but since the owner doesnt This guy will most likely get off the hook, but if it happens again his in trouble.
    Last edited by Jokersvirus; 08-05-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokersvirus View Post
    It's a church so it's different, i think I've made stance on religion. But i would kick ass out da house and give him a few bucks

Thread Information