Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halo Reach

Quote Originally Posted by Diligence109 View Post
    My roommate got this game which means that by association I'm playing it
    I've only put one solid hour down on it so far, but, as QuietGrave said... it's Halo 3. It's just more halo, which isn't really a bad thing, I suppose; cause halo is good and fun and all.

I'll report in more detail when I've actually played a substantial amount of the game.
    It's not Halo 3, though. The graphics are improved (new engine), they've added so many things like Firefight (so much better than ODST's), armor abilities, upgraded forge to include all of the little tricks people have come up with in 3, new and better weapons, better (for the most part.. I'm looking at you, Pinnacle) maps, and a better campaign (and tougher), plus all of the multiplayer options.
    Last edited by Ilyich Valken; 09-15-2010 at 09:18 AM.

^Sig made by Lemons^
    "And if you succeed, you will do so... without recognition. Because you. Do not. Exist."

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich Valken View Post
    It's not Halo 3, though.
    I'll keep everything you've detailed here in mind as I actually play the game. First impression after just an hour of playing and not having played much of the other halos before hand gives the impression that it's very similar to previous halos, I'll get into it more in time :P
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich Valken View Post
    It's not Halo 3, though. The graphics are improved (new engine), they've added so many things like Firefight (so much better than ODST's), armor abilities, upgraded forge to include all of the little tricks people have come up with in 3, new and better weapons, better (for the most part.. I'm looking at you, Pinnacle) maps, and a better campaign (and tougher), plus all of the multiplayer options.
    so uh, it's exactly like Halo 3, but upgraded because games have gotten better since then

:P

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Quote Originally Posted by Muffincat View Post
    so uh, it's exactly like Halo 3, but upgraded because games have gotten better since then

:P
    No >_> It plays differently. It's similar, it's obviously going to be, but it's not Halo 3.

^Sig made by Lemons^
    "And if you succeed, you will do so... without recognition. Because you. Do not. Exist."

Yar it has a totally Different Feel to it then Halo 3, it's probably closest to Halo 1.

The multiplayer is 10x better then Halo 3.

I can see why people who have not played it see it as the same thing though.

I really want to try it ) :

Must... find someone... with halo reach....
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Quote Originally Posted by LemonRising View Post
    I really want to try it ) :

Must... find someone... with halo reach....
    Come play it with me, Lemons

^Sig made by Lemons^

kk i'll just start hitch hiking lollll

Quote Originally Posted by Diligence109 View Post
    My roommate got this game which means that by association I'm playing it
    I've only put one solid hour down on it so far, but, as QuietGrave said... it's Halo 3. It's just more halo, which isn't really a bad thing, I suppose; cause halo is good and fun and all.

I'll report in more detail when I've actually played a substantial amount of the game.
    Im going to agree with Ilyich Valken, that it is not Halo 3, but with more specific information. With the graphics engine, Halo 3 utilizes a proprietary, in-house graphics engine, often referred to as the "Halo 3 Engine" (although almost all the halo games use the same physics engine). The Halo3 engine was often to reflective and hard to make out details in:

Halo3

The Halo engine had numerous drawbacks specifically the glossy sheen it placed over much of the environment. Many times in movies when filming night scenes with car chases the directors will purposefully water down the street to give it character and is a subtle example of creative directing. However its often overused and begs the question why it has always just rained. Halo 3 had this problem, it was often hard to see anything because of the cluster**** of attempted visual affects.

What does reach do differently you ask? Well for starters the Reach assault rifle is constructed of more polygons than an entire Marine character from Halo 3. An impressive update considering they still use the Havok engine, the same engine used in Halo2 and essentially the same engine for graphics from Halo3, but without any of the visible drawbacks.

Source:
    http://www.havok.com/index.php?page=available-games

Rather then building an engine from ground up they simply reworked a lot of the programming and made it better. Software and hardware advancements meant they could get a lot more out of what they already had, improving what they could create without significantly increasing the amount of time it took to create it.

Reach (and notice, you can still make out detail within intense lighting effects)

The crisp and detailed look of Halo reach is commendable. It truly looks amazing, and another thing that many gamers should appreciate is that even though its got all the HD potential of other next gene titles it doesn't have unfriendly non standard definition text. Meaning you wont have to get 2 inches from the screen with your reading glasses to read whats going on.

I have great respect for the quality of the production put into this game (as well as its advancements with its multilayer for sure), Halo is starting to live up to the praise it gets and that makes me happy because now I don't secretly have to hate anyone who says they cant find a better FPS. This installment to the series actually makes the earlier titles feel... immature in comparison. And its a fitting way to end the series. (well, at least their hand it in)

Also, I dont want to leave anyone with the impression that Im praising the game only based on its visual quality, I certainly respect the difference between a great game and a great looking game. But the overall improvement all around from Halo3 to reach is hard to surmise in a single post at 2am.

The gameplays solid foundation remains, yet they have changed it enough that simple things like having tactical options such as sprinting are now available. And this is often enough to make it so that skill can win out over weapon camping and the other problems plaguing its multiplayer.
    Last edited by BobTD; 09-17-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    It truly looks amazing, and another thing that many gamers should appreciate is that even though its got all the HD potential of other next gene titles it doesn't have unfriendly non standard definition text. Meaning you wont have to get 2 inches from the screen with your reading glasses to read whats going on.

I like the sound of that haha. with my poor blind eyes.

Thread Information