Default Advice on building my Desktop - help

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum and really made this account on the forum to gain advice from everyone as they seem to know what they’re talking about when giving advice.

I’ve had a range of dell laptops in my time also i have a desktop downstairs which has lasted for the past 7 years now!

I have come to the conclusion that investing myself in a Very Good desktop would benefit me for a longer period of time, rather than getting multiple laptops.

I am new to the whole building desktops thing and I’m not very computer smart, i read some online guides on what i 100% need and other parts. I made a list bellow of what things i am planning to get.

Please advise if they are all compatible with each other, please keep in mind they are from TigerDirect but will they work with UK computer parts? Or would it be useful just to get the power supply from the UK just so the plug does not need a conversion < PLEASE help with that query.

MAIN COMPUTER PARTS

CPU/Processor -$279.99

Intel Core i7 930 Processor BX80601930 - 2.80GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan at TigerDirect.com

Intel Core i7 930 Processor BX80601930 - 2.80GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan

Motherboard - $199.99

ASUS P6T Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support at TigerDirect.com

ASUS P6T Motherboard

Computer Memory - $179.99

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048MB), DHX at TigerDirect.com

Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048MB), DHX

Best Hard Drive - $89.99

Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs at TigerDirect.com

Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs

Gaming Video Card -$144.99

Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI at TigerDirect.com

Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual DVI, Display Port, HDMI

Gaming Computer Case - $159.99

Thermaltake VH6000BWS Armor+ Full-Tower ATX Case - Clear Side, Black at TigerDirect.com

Thermaltake VH6000BWS Armor+ Full-Tower ATX Case - Clear Side, Black

Computer Power Supply - $99.96

Ultra X3 ULT40073 600-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration at TigerDirect.com

Ultra X3 ULT40073 600-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration

Best DVD Burner -$22.99

Lite-On IHAS22406 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, SATA, Lightscribe (OEM) at TigerDirect.com OEM

Lite-On IHAS22406 Internal DVD Writer - DVD+R 24X, DVD-R 24X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, SATA, Lightscribe (OEM)

Software -$99.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English at TigerDirect.com

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

Sound card - $29.99

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE at TigerDirect.com

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE

Total ATM = £889.787

EXTRA PARTS -

Monitor - $169.99

ASUS VH236H 23 Widescreen Full HD LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 20000 :1 Dynamic, 2ms, DVI, HDMI at TigerDirect.com

ASUS VH236H 23" Widescreen Full HD LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 20000 :1 Dynamic, 2ms, DVI, HDMI

Keyboard - $63.99

Razer RZ03-00180100-R3U1 Lycosa Gaming Keyboard at TigerDirect.com

Razer RZ03-00180100-R3U1 Lycosa Gaming Keyboard

Mouse - $46.99

Razer RZ01-00151400-R3U1 Deathadder 3500 High Precision Gaming Mouse - 3.5G Infrared, Right-Handed at TigerDirect.com

Razer RZ01-00151400-R3U1 Deathadder 3500 High Precision Gaming Mouse - 3.5G Infrared, Right-Handed

Speakers - $39.99

Creative Labs Inspire T3130 51MF0395AA002 PC Speakers - for PC, notebook or MP3 player music at TigerDirect.com

Creative Labs Inspire T3130 51MF0395AA002 PC Speakers - for PC, notebook or MP3 player music

Wireless Desktop - $29.99

Sabrent 802.11n Wireless PCI Controller Card - 802.11n/g/b, 300Mbps, 40/64/128-bit WEP encryption at TigerDirect.com

Sabrent 802.11n Wireless PCI Controller Card - 802.11n/g/b, 300Mbps, 40/64/128-bit WEP encryption

Total - £340.32

340.32 GBP

889.79 GBP

All Total = £1230.11

Any help would be great guys! e.g. if the comp case is to small/to big etc?

Thanks

Brad

Everything looks god good but you're trying to make the desktop have wireless internet? And the Motherboard already has a sound card so you don't even need that but if you have something special in mind then that's different.

If you need help putting everything together, I'm actually going to be building a computer this week (Friday to be exact) and I'll be putting up a video of it on youtube this weekend so that should help (if you need the help).
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

I think you might not be able to play the new FF MMO with that, but other then that it looks good... (Im sorry, I only think about gaming)

Linux you know about cases at all? I just came into some money (put a lean against my car lol) and want to build a gaming PC. But Im looking to lower the price a little more then what he seems to be going for. Can I get a cheep case, how much does that really matter?

I also have the monitor I want to use already, and a mouse and keyboard so I dont need anything from his list of extras. But I was hoping to keep the price about $700-$800 USD.

I dont mind spending money on a higher end graphics card, but then I worry the price will fall after I buy one and a newer better one will be out.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post

Linux you know about cases at all? I just came into some money (put a lean against my car lol) and want to build a gaming PC. But Im looking to lower the price a little more then what he seems to be going for. Can I get a cheep case, how much does that really matter?
    The case is one of the least important parts because it's not a 100% necessary. I've seen people improvise. But to avoid shocks and destroying your components by leaving them in the open or in a home made case, get one that's premade. And even then it doesn't really matter what kind you should get.

The thing you should look for that's most important is whether it'll fit your motherboard. There are various forms and if you get the wrong one, it's a waste of money.

Next, if you want to build a gaming PC make sure you have enough fans and vents in the case otherwise it can get extra hot in there. And getting a spacy one for future upgrades may help too.

You should be able to get a decent case for around $30-$50. And I'll be building the PC tomorrow and I'll explain a bit more about all the parts in there as best I can. The videos should be up by the end of the weekend though.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

Hi guys!

LiNuX

Thanks for the advice, Would it be a bad idea to make the desktop with wireless as well as have the ability to link it straight up to with a cable? I thought it would just be handy if i needed to move the comp for any reason, temporarily being hooked to the internet.

Also will all the parts work together over in the UK, because I’m buying them from a US webby? I’m worried because this will be my first time doing something like this. Other than the power supply which I decided to get over in the UK because its seems logical to get something with the correct power plug.

Also do i need additional wires etc?

Let me know when you have the video uploaded =D

BobDT -
    No worries dude you dont need to be sorry, any advice is usefull. What do you mean it might not run the new FF MMO? Do you think you could make a better spec pc which is less costy than what I have found. If you could then please enlighten me, I think with my lack of knowledge in the pc parts market might cause me to over look different things and go for more pricey parts rather than have some lower costy parts and some top of the range parts which are vital.

Excitedddd =]

Brad

-Edit- Do I need extra software to get it running smoothly? or are there any upgrades/downgrade of the comp which can lower the cost + make it a huge amount better?

Will i need a additional cooling system for my CPU? or does it come with a sufficient one, also depending on the case i get with fans connected.
    Are there any you could reccomend? I think just on the case im going a bit overboard lol. E.g would a mid-tower case will work as good as the full tower? Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid-Tower Black Case - 5 Exterior 5.25 Drive Bay, 1 Exposed 3.5 Drive Bay, 5 Interior 3.5 Drive Bay. Supports Nvidia GTX 480 at TigerDirect.com

I’m still a noob at this so i might of looked at unnecessarily expensive parts.
    Last edited by brad ltd; 08-26-2010 at 02:58 AM.

I think you're going to need a 40" screen so you can read posts with 3 spaces every line.

Quote Originally Posted by brad ltd View Post
    Hi guys!

LiNuX

Thanks for the advice, Would it be a bad idea to make the desktop with wireless as well as have the ability to link it straight up to with a cable? I thought it would just be handy if i needed to move the comp for any reason, temporarily being hooked to the internet.
    It's not a bad idea, it's just more costly.

Also will all the parts work together over in the UK, because I’m buying them from a US webby? I’m worried because this will be my first time doing something like this. Other than the power supply which I decided to get over in the UK because its seems logical to get something with the correct power plug.
    As long as you have the power cable correct it should be fine, although I never dealt with that. But it should be fine considering they are all the same parts anyway, the only difference is the voltage put through the PSU.

Also do i need additional wires etc?

Let me know when you have the video uploaded =D
    Unless you plan on adding extra drives (Cd or HDD) then you should be fine with the cables that come with the components.

And I'll be posting a thread on this forum when the videos are done so be sure to come back and look.

-Edit- Do I need extra software to get it running smoothly? or are there any upgrades/downgrade of the comp which can lower the cost + make it a huge amount better?
    You don't really need anything more. The OS would be fine. Anything extra is extra and not necessary to run anything really. As for saving money, I'd recommend you go for another case because you picked out a very expensive one.

Will i need a additional cooling system for my CPU? or does it come with a sufficient one, also depending on the case i get with fans connected.
    Are there any you could reccomend? I think just on the case im going a bit overboard lol. E.g would a mid-tower case will work as good as the full tower? Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid-Tower Black Case - 5 Exterior 5.25 Drive Bay, 1 Exposed 3.5 Drive Bay, 5 Interior 3.5 Drive Bay. Supports Nvidia GTX 480 at TigerDirect.com
    The CPU will come with the stock fan/heatsink and it should be fine for now.And yes the mid tower case will work, it'll fit everything you need and it's a lot cheaper. And if you need extra cooling later, you can get a new headsink/fan for the CPU or even install certain water cooling parts into the case.

@FattaT - what now?

Thread Information