Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adobe Photoshop CS5... Should I?

So, I only use Photoshop for making sigs or to render images, but there is one feature on Adobe Photoshop CS5 that really calls my attention... 3D Text! I know that the new version has a lot of another features, but that's exactly what scares me!
    I mean, in the last days my I've filled up my computer with some files that are big and useless, and now I gotta clean all this mess to make it better. But there's a problem tho: I don't want to keep both Photoshops, but CS5 is new and more confusing (to me) but the 3D text is a great improvement for my sigs...

So: my computer is half-full, I have no experience in Photoshop CS5 (kinda scared) but 3D Text would be a great improvement... Should I get it?
    Last edited by Aniki; 09-09-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    -> Thank you Miss Th3-devils-princess! I <3 DA SIG!
    v Latest Badazz Sig v

Winner of One Signature of the Week!

If you have the money, I would.
    My experience is though, I still use Photoshop CS2.

I have CS3 and CS4 on my computer, but I don't like them. At all. and I imagine I won't like CS5 either. Its personal view, I see what effects I actually need and which program has them the easiest, which is CS2. Its all up to you though.
    If you have the money or are being offered the program, sure. But if you're buying it, maybe put a lot of thought into if that 3D font is really worth it.
    Samus-Fan :: Graphic Store ¦ Samus Graphics :: Graphics and Blog

Winner of Fourteen Signature Of The Weeks!
    Winner of Two Signature Of The Months!

As samus said, if you have the money for it, go for it. I still use CS2 just like him, never had any interest in upgrading, I just needed photoshop for web stuff so I just got a version.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

3D text is easy to create. So I wouldn't waste the money with your previous version.
    I found that I really liked the UI of CS4 and CS5 did t really appeal to me much, hence why I use CS4.
    If you send me FR, let me know who you are!

If it helps, I've often found with design or programming packages to ALWAYS try the trial version first. Like th others said above sometimes updated version might do minor/additional things, but often a dramatic update tends to remove some of the cool stuff of previous versions too. At least if you check out the trial version you might find if you dig it or not ..

As for my thoughts on CS4/5 .. well .. it's not relevant. Bit like saying I prefer these shoes to the ones you might like .. as pointless as a pencil in a blender.

Quote Originally Posted by jango View Post
    (wisdom wisdom wisdom...) ALWAYS try the trial version first. (...wisdom eloquence wisdom...)

(...humility wisdom eloquence wisdom witty humor wisdom.)
    (paraphrased for your convenience)

Trying the trial version for yourself will help you answer the question if it really has anything you really need and if you can work well with the new program. jango's the man, yo!

I, personally, use CS5. But I suck at graphics, so why would you listen to me?
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

I'm currently using CS3 (apparently the bastard child version of photoshop lmfao)

As Knibbler said, there are other ways to get 3D text, and if hard drive space is an issue, stick to what you know. Try to find tutorials that show you how to make 3D text, and experiment from there.

If you want to try and brave it out, get the trial, try and find your way around the new version (I remember being scared of trying Photoshop for the first time, so it's kind of like that except not as big a leap). From what I'm hearing there are a lot of awesome new features in CS5, and I might be making the jump sometime <: Maybe. lol

tl;dr either try making 3D text with tutorials in the version of Photoshop you have, or try the trial of CS5 and see how that goes.
    I would say trial is plan A
    tutorial 3D text plan B
    : D
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

CS5, and I'm just learning how to do GFX. It really isn't that confusing. I haven't played with the 3D Text stuff yet, but I want to....

But yeah... like Jango said... just try the trial first. =P

BTW. Right now they have it on sale for $299. Just sayin.

The 3D tools aren't really that great, and CS5 isn't that much of a step up from CS4, to be honest.

^Sig made by Lemons^
    "And if you succeed, you will do so... without recognition. Because you. Do not. Exist."

Hm... I see. I did find a way of my own to make 3D text in Photoshop CS4, but it's kinda cheap... Very cool tho, since it doesn't requires that much work to make it ^^ Maybe I'll stick with CS4, but try the CS5 trial and see how it "works"...
    Thanks for the opinions and suggestions guys!
    -> Thank you Miss Th3-devils-princess! I <3 DA SIG!
    v Latest Badazz Sig v

Winner of One Signature of the Week!

Thread Information