Default Final Fantasy XIII (13)

Review #3: Final Fantasy XIII (Playstation 3/Xbox 360)

(image found using google search)

I guess 13 really is an unlucky number...

Graphics: 10/10

Really, the graphics in this game are virtually flawless. There are some minor things here and there, but they are hardly noticable (such as the fact that necklaces always stay in the same spot). I'd go into detail about the graphics, but I can't find appropriate words to use without sounding extremely corny.

Plot: 6/10

The plot isn't exactly HORRIBLE, but it's not worth mentioning. Which is a problem, because the focus of the game is 100% on the plot. Here's a quick summary (minor spoilers, but you find out by the end of the first chapter anyways, so...) Basically, you get a group of people that all end up in the same area together, and then all get cursed. Now, society hates them because everybody thinks the curse is contagious and they have to find a way to reverse the curse or else they'll basically turn into zombies. The characters are mostly likeable, and decently developed, but they don't have the same chemistry as other groups of characters (final fantasy 7 anyone?) Nothing too exciting in terms of plot, which would be fine, but....

Gameplay: 5/10

The gameplay, while it isn't bad or hard, is very boring. The battle system is alright, but its hard to really get the hang of, and leaves a lot up to chance. Why? You only get to directly control one character out of your party of 3. Each character has certain specialties, and the attacks they use are based on what class they are. Commander focuses on physical attacks, ravager on elemental attacks, medic focuses on healing, etc. You basically select groups of these classes and switch between these groups in battle. You choose what attacks the lead character does, but the other 2 party members' moves are selected basically at random. It works, but the problem I had with this system is just that: it's too systematic. You're getting low on health, so you switch your config to include a medic. Once you're all healed, you switch back. If the enemy puts up a shield, you switch to casting spells to help you and hinder the enemy, as well as healing. Most of the boss battles involve you knowing which classes to have active at what times. This isn't the major problem with the game though. The main problem is the fact that there's nothing else to do in the game. For most of the game you walk down an extremely linear path, hitting cutscenes and battles along the way. The game consists of nothing else. Walk, battle, walk, battle, cutscene, battle, walk. There is no exploring in the game, until late in the game for one chapter. You're given a large open field with a few big rocks that is full of enemies and side quests. All you can do in this area though is kill smaller enemies until you're strong enough to kill larger enemies, then you grind some more until you can move up to even stronger enemies. The side quests have to be completed in order, and involve you finding an enemy and killing it, then finding the next quest. Upgrades are done through a system called the crystarium, which is just as linear as the game is. You put points into each specialty, which generally follows a linear path, until you run out of Crystarium Points (at which time it says "you do not have enough CP"). You get CP through winning battles

Overall: 6/10

It seems like Square Enix's main concern with this game was the graphics. They are amazing, but they're not enough to make up for the gameplay. Sadly, this is a well-polished but very very boring game.

Recommendation: Play it, but don't buy it.

All images taken from Gamespot, except for cover arts, which were found using google search
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 09-19-2010 at 12:31 AM.

Wasn't surprised at the graphics part, generally when you hear "Final Fantasy" you think 'Good graphics'.

The gameplay has never been a huge part of it for me, but if the plot isn't that great then that's disappointing ) :

Thanks for the great review Eps <: Glad to see you back on em~
    Juicyz gave me a puppy! <3

Like we were talkin about in IRC.... I like the game, but had to kinda step away from it a few times... I rage and quit and come back later... but yeah.. graphics are a given for FF.

Nice review Epsi .. I kinda agree with what's been said already - graphics is one thing (which FF tends to have in abundance), but solid gameplay is what makes something move out of the 'average' bracket.

When will you make a review about the newest FF online which available only for pc and ps3?

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

Pretty spot on review :P

The plot actually kept me pretty interesting; I thought it was cool. But..... definitely not spectacular (I...still haven't beaten it...doesn't seem to be pulling me in..but..maybe...actually, maybe I will play some today!)

But yeah. Pretty boring. ...butstillbetterthanFF12imo >_>

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Quote Originally Posted by Ixel View Post
    When will you make a review about the newest FF online which available only for pc and ps3?
    If I actually get around to playing it, i'll do a review of it. But don't hold your breath.

And yea. The thing about this game is like....it's not bad, it just wasn't all that enjoyable.

ah, nice someone finally Reviewed it lol

good review man.

After having played the previous FF's, this was a pretty big disappointment for me.

No idea what happened with this one, but instead of going forward, they definitely went a few steps back. The graphics are amazing but the boring (sorry) plot and extremely irritating gameplay ruined it for me. :/ Put it down and never picked it up since and don't intend to!

Though I do agree with you Epsilon. Should play it but wouldn't recommend buying it. I guess that's what sucks the most for me. Spent money on a game I didn't really enjoy that much. D: Waah!

Very interesting review! Enjoyed reading it!

I should try it, good thing that the library borrow out a copy of the game.

Thread Information