Hard Drive: 40MB space free
    Sound: Standard sound card

Mac System Requirements: (Minimum)
    Processor: 1GHz or faster
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Graphics: 128MB OpenGL compatible graphics card
    Hard Drive: 40MB space free
    Sound: Standard sound card
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the world of gaming, not everything is done by big budget developers and publishers and their web of advertising and hype. Behind the scenes of mainstream large scale projects runs the current of indie gamers. This is an important aspect of gaming because indie gamers have a larger impact on gaming then many suspect.

This review happens to be about such a game.

First, I want to set the groundwork by giving you its origins:

The Humble Indie Bundle or Humble Bundle is a collection of independently developed video games that was originally offered on sale from May 4 through May 11, 2010. The collection, initially consisting of five games—World of Goo (2D Boy), Aquaria (Bit Blot), Gish (Edmund McMillen), Lugaru (Wolfire Games), and Penumbra: Overture (Frictional Games)—and later joined by a sixth game, Samorost 2 (Amanita Design), was offered in a "pay-what-you-want" manner, allowing buyers to decide how much they were willing to pay, as little as $0.01, for the package. Purchasers were also able to set how they wanted their money to be distributed between the developers and two charities, Child's Play and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. The games were available for Microsoft Windows, MacOS X, and Linux-based systems, and were digitally distributed without digital rights management (DRM) controls.[1] The sale was able to raise over US$1 million within the week's offering, with nearly US$325k being donated to the charities; as a result of hitting the marker, the source code for four of the games was made available under the GNU General Public License.
    Lugaru is a phonetic spelling of "loup-garou", which is French for werewolf. Fitting considering the game features anthropomorphic character. Literally humanoid animals. And the humanoid wolves being the enemy, are very similar to werewolves.

But lets not kid ourselves, you kill plenty of rabbits as well:

Now lets get to know the creator David Rosen (of wolffire games), who almost single handedly created this game. While its similar in respects to Mount & Blade, with the quality of graphics and focus on combat above all else, the game is actually an original creation and not a mod or adaptation. He did it almost entirely alone, including the game engine, models, animations and story.

Also, there aren't a lot of independently-produced video games to employ ragdoll physics. Additional work has since been done to the game. Tim Soret would later improve the games textures, and Wolfire currently sells this version as Lugaru HD. (HD is a little funny)

What makes this game stand out you ask? Its Bizarre, seriously if sword wielding rabbits slaying each other doesn't take you out of your comfort zone we probably share the same issues. I used to have nightmares about rabbits because of Watership down. Witch might get me started on a rant so I will end that thought here.

Gameplay:
    This here is what its all about. And there is a convenient vid that I can use to sum it all up as well so enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTxa...layer_embedded

Yes yes, that does make the gameplay look a little easy. But its not. I beat the game and I still have a hard time fighting more then one opponent at a time. And there are much stronger enemies then the ones shown here.

So lets break it down. What you just saw was gameplaying using the WASD move format, a mouse to look, and only 3 buttons total including the mouse left click for attack. This is done with situational context programming rather then button combo gameplay.

While Mount & Blade was monumental for its heavy focus on combat, and momentum carrying into attacks, it has limited situational programing. Meaning you could change how you swung your sword but not as a reaction to the enemy, it had to be told what to do.

That is not the case with Lugaru, here we have an almost reaction time based approach that allows for attacking, reversing attacks as well as counter reversals and escapes. Its overall a very fast paced and entertaining fighter.

I could give you formulas and explain the impact on gameplay all day, but simply put its fun to play and challenging.

If you arent pumped yet here is some loud angry music with another game demo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH5l1wQCST0

There is also an impressive mod community growing up around this game. The "Lugaru downloader" can be found on the wolffire website.

The creator is now working on a game titled "Overgrowth" witch is looking like a much larger project with some real development time and money put into it.

Overgrowth presumably takes place after the events of Lugaru. It refers to the death of the alpha wolf and the fear that rabbit overpopulation will upset the natural balance. It also is looking to include a dog, cat, and rat race in the new game, beside rabbits and wolves.

Overgrowth - Wolfire Games

I have to say, of the independent games I have really enjoyed, Lugaru looks the most promising for future content and eventual becoming recognizable outside of the indie game market. I know Mount & Blade managed to get a box into a few gamestops but they didnt hit steam with their first incarnation. Only recently with their multilayer port. Im not sure if that alone is an indicator of things to come however. For that I like to keep track of the developers blog to see where the new game is at:

Wolfire Games Blog
    (also check out the great comic that they are working on)

What would I rate this game? Well thats hard to say. Seeing as it is an indie game, I cant really subject it to the large budget standards I normally would. So on an indie game scale I would have to give it

8/10

Why 8/10? Well on the steam network you can get Lugaru for $10, but there is really only about 5 hours of fresh gameplay before you start repeating challenges and the storyline. As far as indie games go thats not bad and the price is reasonable, but overall its an experiment and the dream game is still in the works from the look of it.

On the plus side, the violent rabbit mayhem you get from this game is richly rewarding and disturbingly fun.
    Last edited by BobTD; 10-19-2010 at 01:54 AM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

hehe .. an enjoyable read bob, nice

still not sure it's for me though ..

this does look like the sort of thing I'd end up playing too much of for reasons that confused everyone around me... I am the sort that goes searching for indie games all the time.

The real point that turns me away is the lack of multiplayer... while there's definitely a place in my heart to hunt after indie games who's first impression and presentation may turn away most gamers in a heartbeat, my first love is the social element of the gaming world; the lack thereof makes this a game that probably just wont do anything for me

But hey... if overgrowth happens and has multiplayer... you and I, bobby boy... we're gonna take everyone to school and show them how to play

nice review, Bob, it was a nice read
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Thanks for the comments. Updated the review to include some system information and availability. I think Im getting closer to a format that I like for reviews. Cant decide if I like the game info at the top or bottom.

Edit: just for fun wanted to link this video, it explains a lot about the Overgrowth project. =P

http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfireG.../8/cbkpq4vKyKU
    Last edited by BobTD; 10-12-2010 at 01:43 AM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

I have check it out this game yesterday following your signature.
    Tbh, I don't really liking it.
    The graphic and the gameplay and the price.. not to good.

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

I may end up checking this out eventually, and your review was lovely, bob, but I was compelled to comment because

WATERSHIP DOWN IS THE BEST BOOK/MOVIE EVER; DON'T GO DISSIN', YO
    Last edited by Muffincat; 10-12-2010 at 04:24 PM.

^ Sig by Foofle ^

Quote Originally Posted by Diligence109 View Post
    But hey... if overgrowth happens and has multiplayer... you and I, bobby boy... we're gonna take everyone to school and show them how to play
    Overgrowth is claiming cooperative multiplayer in their FAQ, is that enough to get you excited?

How will Overgrowth be different from Lugaru?

While Overgrowth will be inheriting the spirit of Lugaru's tried and true combat system, it will also benefit from every cutting edge feature that our new Phoenix Engine has to offer. Fans can expect better graphics, better physics, more characters, more moves, great mod support, and co-operative multiplay.
    Also, compared with Lugaru the new title overgrowth is looking much better, here is some of their early motion capture testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96lbg...layer_embedded
    Last edited by BobTD; 10-13-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    Overgrowth is claiming cooperative multiplayer in their FAQ, is that enough to get you excited?

YES
    YES IT IS

the early testing footage looks nice too! Smooth animations, at the very least
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

they also just put up some initial combat testing footage today, keep in mind they havent made the animations for getting back up and stuff so the characters just kinda pop back into place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntr8y...layer_embedded

Rabbits will be using their feet for attacks and blocking with their hands for unarmed combat. I think the plan is to give each race its own style so I cant wait to see some more characters finished.

Im thinking about supporting its development with a preorder and following its progress. Probably going to be years before its done sadly. =(

I would +rep you for sticking with it and posting more and more interesting things cause I'm interested in it but vBulletin keeps telling me that I +rep you enough as it is.

Keep posting things as they develop, if you remember to, because I know that at least I'll be interested years later when this comes out we'll have to play it together (which means we have to stay on this forum forever)

P.S. - sorry I've missed and not gotten around to returning your calls. I'm a terrible human being.
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Thread Information