Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HELP!!! Need help deciding between PS3 and Xbox360

Hi guys,

So I'm a guy approaching 30, and the last system I owned was (no kidding) the original Nintendo. I've been more of a PC gamer, but in college, I got really into Halo and would play a lot.

So I've finally decided to enter the 21st century and buy a system but I'm totally torn. Trust me, I've read a ton of posts and it's only made me more undecided. I'm hoping to buy the system tomorrow during Black Friday...

So here are my particular preferences:
    1) Cost - in terms of the console, it doesn't matter unless you think one will be much more expensive? (it seems ps3 is more cost-efficient in the long-run as you don't have to buy as many accessories and online play is free?)
    2) Online game - I've always been a big online gamer and I've read the xbox is far superior to ps3... will I not be satisfied with the ps3 experience?
    3) Games - I tend to like war/first person shooters (eg, Halo), although other genres I've been into in the past include games like Starcraft.
    4) Ability to connect with strangers - Don't have many friends who are big gamers so I'd need to able to find quick games online with random people
    5) Blue Ray - Already have one, don't need it in PS3
    6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - I'd mostly use this for parties as a party trick I'd imagine.. to get people up and having fun. It seems the Kinect is definitely superior but the games out look boring (mostly family games). I'm guessing that will change in the future... But I'd like to know how big a difference you think this will make in the long run?
    7) Durability - I hear Xbox dies a lot compared to PS3...

Okay, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'd like to buy this by tomorrow so please help!!

i would have to say 360 just because everyone i know whom has a ps3 and 360 always go for their 360 plus its much quicker at conecting for online games
    <3 thank you knibbler <3

<3 Knibbler Gave Me My Crush <3

my sigs new stuff - Gamers Forum
    my shop :: Devils Shoppie Time - Gamers Forum

I gotta say, I went through the same thing you went through, back and forth for almost a yeah and a half. I went with the XBOX360 and I can say I am extremely happy with my purchase!

1) Cost - In the short run, Xbox. In the long run, PS3 is cheaper. With more money you get more stuff though.

2) Online game - Easily Xbox. PSN sucks compared to Live.

3) Games - For this genre I will say Both. Both consoles have their exclusives (Gears of War, Halo) (Killzone, Resisitance) but ONLINE shooter, Xbox.
    Just depends on your taste.

4) Ability to connect with strangers - Again, Xbox. A lot more people play Xbox Live.

5) Blue Ray - Then why is this a category?

6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - Keep in mind, one is hand free, one is a wiimote with a giant annoying glowing ball on the end. It's your choice, but I like the hands free. It's much more Party Trick and epic than Move.
    But the games are cheesy on both. That's what comes with these gimmicky ideas. I just prefer Kinect.

7) Durability - In the past it has.
    But modern day scientists have discovered a way to make the 360 live longer!
    And it does. It now lasts just as long, I wouldn't be worried about this if I were you. As long as you don't play the xbox inside a 400 degree oven, there aren't any over heating issues.
    Samus-Fan :: Graphic Store ¦ Samus Graphics :: Graphics and Blog

Winner of Fourteen Signature Of The Weeks!
    Winner of Two Signature Of The Months!

Quote Originally Posted by Samus-Fan View Post
    1) Cost - In the short run, Xbox. In the long run, PS3 is cheaper. With more money you get more stuff though.

2) Online game - Easily Xbox. PSN sucks compared to Live.

3) Games - For this genre I will say Both. Both consoles have their exclusives (Gears of War, Halo) (Killzone, Resisitance) but ONLINE shooter, Xbox.
    Just depends on your taste.

4) Ability to connect with strangers - Again, Xbox. A lot more people play Xbox Live.

5) Blue Ray - Then why is this a category?

6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - Keep in mind, one is hand free, one is a wiimote with a giant annoying glowing ball on the end. It's your choice, but I like the hands free. It's much more Party Trick and epic than Move.
    But the games are cheesy on both. That's what comes with these gimmicky ideas. I just prefer Kinect.

7) Durability - In the past it has.
    But modern day scientists have discovered a way to make the 360 live longer!
    And it does. It now lasts just as long, I wouldn't be worried about this if I were you. As long as you don't play the xbox inside a 400 degree oven, there aren't any over heating issues.
    Four words..
    Listen to this man!
    If you send me FR, let me know who you are!

Nice post... it's nice to see someone actually cite the criteria their making for their decision. I hope my post finds you before you go shopping, here's my thoughts, for what they're worth:

Quote Originally Posted by extempore20 View Post
    1) Cost - in terms of the console, it doesn't matter unless you think one will be much more expensive? (it seems ps3 is more cost-efficient in the long-run as you don't have to buy as many accessories and online play is free?)
    It's been said already and it's true - ps3 is more upfront but xbox360 is more in the long run (due to the cost of xbox live). Accessories are going to be about the same on either, I'd imagine.

2) Online game - I've always been a big online gamer and I've read the xbox is far superior to ps3... will I not be satisfied with the ps3 experience?
    I don't understand why people claim xbox live is better than psn... they are services that do exactly the same thing, except that one costs money and the other does not. You will not find any shortage of gamers on either system and will have plenty of ability to connect with the through Live or PSN. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference is the interface. Are there some features that I'm somehow missing and unaware of? Are there perks to Xbox Live that you couldn't just get with PlayStation Network Plus?

I haven't played online with either Live or PSN, so I don't know for sure, but I don't think there's a huge difference. I could very well stand corrected, though.

3) Games - I tend to like war/first person shooters (eg, Halo), although other genres I've been into in the past include games like Starcraft.
    The only exclusive title that xbox has over PS3 is Halo. That's saying something, for sure, but I feel that PS3 has a wider range of exclusive titles over xbox. PS3 gets several exclusives because of BluRay.

4) Ability to connect with strangers - Don't have many friends who are big gamers so I'd need to able to find quick games online with random people
    As above when I was talking about online gameplay - I am 90% certain it's the same on both.

5) Blue Ray - Already have one, don't need it in PS3
    Cool.

6) Playstation Move vs Kinect - I'd mostly use this for parties as a party trick I'd imagine.. to get people up and having fun. It seems the Kinect is definitely superior but the games out look boring (mostly family games). I'm guessing that will change in the future... But I'd like to know how big a difference you think this will make in the long run?
    I prefer Move because it's mapping is accurate and applicable enough that it has potential to open a "hardcore" motion gaming market. I haven't had personal experience with Kinect; but while both are, without a doubt, "gimmicky", I feel that Move has the potential to "get serious" if the right games are design for it.

I've owned a Wii for a long time and have studied how all these various motion technologies work... without getting into the gory technical reasons I believe the above is true, I'll just leave my feelings on the matter.

7) Durability - I hear Xbox dies a lot compared to PS3...
    xbox definitely has this unfortunate scar... but as long as you treat it right it's not going to red ring on you. I wouldn't worry about this or consider it in your criteria - if you even were unfortunate enough to have a dud console it would be replaced for you by the company without fuss.

While you didn't ask for it in your criteria, I feel that it's worth mentioning that the PS3 has overall more powerful hardware than the Xbox 360. This article is really clear and concise if you want to know how the technical specifications compare between the two.

Have fun shopping, good luck fishing through the crowds! Good luck making your choice, and, more importantly, I hope you have countless hours of fun with the console you do end up getting!
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

uh hem.... mi amogos already have a 360 while i have the sony "black brick" . all i can say is that i have never needed to have my ps3 fixed, have it over heated, and as along as you decent internet online play is enjoy able. also in my opinion they also have better RPG games. There are lot's of other things i can say but i dont want to sound like a fanboy even though i am not. I am just a sony loyalist.
    Last edited by norid; 11-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Thank you Rachel and Subb for all the help

Can there be an official 360 vs PS3 topic or something? Where we outline all of the points?

Anyways, what it should really come down to is look up the big sellers on each system and see what appeals to you. Then try to find some lesser known but also good games and see what appeals. Ps3 has a blu ray player yes but its one of the best ones on the market (or at least, it was like a year or 2 ago) with 2 you could have one in your living room and one for the bedroom or something.

Also keep in mind, Xbox live, while better, costs like $50/year where PSN is free. Live is better, but that doesn't mean PSN is bad.

Syracuse, NY (but always California in my heart <3)

No one has ever given me any actual reasons for why Live is supposed to be better than PSN o.O I have used both before, but never noticed any differences... but I don't own an Xbox myself. Just used one...

So, yeah, what is the actual difference that apparently makes it so much better?

^ Sig by Foofle ^

I just found it's easier to use. Plus, the friends list is way better.

Thread Information