Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

One of the documents from the DoS states that DoS and china are working together to impose an embargo on some country and that the country effected doesnt know about it yet. Doesnt matter how you spin it he isnt censoring it, you can say he is removing words but he is still releasing documents therefore censorship isnt taking place.
    If the name of the country was redacted, that is censorship. Please explain to me how that isn't censorship. Releasing a vague cable where its just like "LOL SOME COUNTRY IS GETTING EMBARGO'D AND THEY DON'T KNOW YET" is a lot less damaging than "LOL KOREA IS GETTING EMBARGO'D AND THEY DON'T KNOW YET" because in that second case, the subject will know what is going down and retaliate. They can't in the former case because they don't know if it's them.

Also he is going to be charged by the US with what he did there is no doubt about it.
    The US already charged the guy who actually leaked the cables. What more could they want? The only crimes Assange could possibly be charged for are political crimes rather than "real" crimes and extradition for political crimes is not going to happen as very few treaties exist. Assange knows what countries have extradition treaties for such crimes and he will avoid these countries. If they do manage to bring him to the US, no court will convict him, as he is just doing what any journalist would do: acquire cables, publish information. People leak cables to newspapers *all the time* and nobody cares. The only difference is that Assange is publishing a ****load at once and the US is butthurt because they've embarrassed themselves.

Cause if they dont others will do it and **** will go down.
    No they won't, because somebody has to actually acquire the cables from the government, and that person IS doing something illegal. Somebody still has to be convicted of treason, espionage, etc. if there's going to be a massive leak. It won't be the publisher, though.

Quote Originally Posted by leica View Post
    If the name of the country was redacted, that is censorship. Please explain to me how that isn't censorship. Releasing a vague cable where its just like "LOL SOME COUNTRY IS GETTING EMBARGO'D AND THEY DON'T KNOW YET" is a lot less damaging than "LOL KOREA IS GETTING EMBARGO'D AND THEY DON'T KNOW YET" because in that second case, the subject will know what is going down and retaliate. They can't in the former case because they don't know if it's them.
    like Ive said before. just because you remove a word or two and stil release top secret doesnt constitute censorship because if he really wanted to censor what was on those documents he wouldnt have posted them for the world to see. There really is nothing more that can be said censorship, he just wants to be popular and cause drama. Sooner or later he will pay.
    Vague document means nothing he still released things that isnt meant for our eyes. Only thing you can justify is the human rights anything else related to security terrorism etc doesnt need to be released or even known. If people really want to read those documents they should get a federal career and a clearance level.
    The US already charged the guy who actually leaked the cables. What more could they want? The only crimes Assange could possibly be charged for are political crimes rather than "real" crimes and extradition for political crimes is not going to happen as very few treaties exist. Assange knows what countries have extradition treaties for such crimes and he will avoid these countries. If they do manage to bring him to the US, no court will convict him, as he is just doing what any journalist would do: acquire cables, publish information. People leak cables to newspapers *all the time* and nobody cares. The only difference is that Assange is publishing a ****load at once and the US is butthurt because they've embarrassed themselves.
    Assange and that pvt whoever need to be shot dead for what they did. London has an extradition treaty with the US so I expect him to be heading this way soon. No court would convict him? So its ok to leak top secret documents from several countries and they wont get in trouble. that is wishful thinking. Journalist dont become traitors to the US by releasing those types of documents.
    No they won't, because somebody has to actually acquire the cables from the government, and that person IS doing something illegal. Somebody still has to be convicted of treason, espionage, etc. if there's going to be a massive leak. It won't be the publisher, though.
    Publisher will still go down, He needs to be shot but that is just me. Assange is an accomplish in this situation

Sigh, you're too conservative to argue with. You won't listen to my logic and I'm done trying.

Quote Originally Posted by leica View Post
    wrong. those are military secrets. diplomatic secrets are what are being leaked.

also wrong. the documents are censored, names are removed.

you need to be taken down before you turn someone else into a fascist. (just kidding, but seriously, you're wrong and we aren't in danger.)
    1. Before the diplomatic cables were released, about 77,000 documents from the Afghan War were leaked as well as over 390,000 documents from the Iraq War.

2. I wish you were right. From what I understand a few of the documents do mention the names of Afghan informants, in some cases even their villages. Once again, this puts their entire village in danger. Also, apparently one name of an U.S. Intelligence Operative was leaked too. Joint Chiefs Chairman Mullen: WikiLeaks release endangers troops, Afghans

aight you got me. but nobody really cared that much after that leak. theyre butthurt over the new leak, the whole cablegate thing. i thought we were only debating the most recent controversy.

Thread Information