Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shooting of Calif. man holding water nozzle angers family

the short version is this. Police received a call that a man was holding a weapon on his back porch landing. Officers thinking he was the suspect they took positions around the person and he pointed the object both arms full extended, and the object was a water nozzle, and two officers opened fire.

Time of day isnt given, and the family is thinking of suing the department.

Officers were put on AL, administrative leave, policy after a shooting.

LONG BEACH, Calif. — Angry relatives of a man shot to death by police who apparently mistook a pistol-grip water nozzle he held for a gun are lashing out at officers, saying they made no effort to contact him before opening fire.

However, police officials say Douglas Zerby's behavior prompted the officers' response.

"As the subject was in a seated position, he used a two-handed pistol-grip hold on an object with his arms fully extended," Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell said. "Somebody that is impaired and waving what appears to witnesses and police to be a handgun. That's what the officers were faced with."

Zerby pointed it at one of the officers and two officers fired their weapons, a handgun and a shotgun. A total of eight shots were fired — two from shot guns and six from a handgun, McDonnell said.

Zerby's sister, Eden Marie Biele, said officers made no attempt to talk to her 35-year-old brother or get his attention before shooting him to death.

"They didn't say 'Put your hands up' or 'Freeze' or anything," Biele told The Associated Press Monday. "He was killed in cold blood."

Biele was among the family members whose sobs were heard among McDonnell's explanations of the events leading to Zerby's death on Sunday.

"This is a very unfortunate set of circumstances and leaves the family to deal with it here," McDonnell said, offering his condolences to the Zerby family.

The Long Beach officers were dispatched to an apartment building after two people reported a man with a gun sitting on a backyard porch landing, McDonnell said. In an excerpt of a 911 call played for reporters, a male caller said the man appeared to have a "tiny six-shooter."

McDonnell said the officers took positions to observe Zerby, who appeared intoxicated, and believed he had a gun as described by the callers, but focused on setting up containment of the area rather than contacting him.

As officers awaited requested backup units, the man pointed the object at apartments and played with it, causing it to make sounds similar to those of a gun being handled, he said.

Both officers were placed on administrative leave, a standard move after a police shooting.

Biele said the family is considering legal action over the shooting.

She said Zerby, who had an 8-year-old son, had been drinking and rather than drive home, went to his friend's place and was waiting on the stairs for him to come home.
    "He never knew there was a problem. Police snuck down the corridor and shot him," Biele said. "He was a drunk sitting on a stoop fumbling with a hose nozzle."

That's terrible. I understand he was drunk but still...

I don't completely disagree with the officers because I know if someone pointed something that looked like a gun to any officer, he/she would see it as a gun whether it was fake, real, or just a piece of rock.

But they still should have shouted some warnings before approaching him.

It's a touchy issue. And it sounds like it happened at night since people had a hard time figuring out what the guy was holding.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

ridiculous and police will always make up ANY excuse to cover up their mistakes. Even as Linux said he has a bit sympathy for the officers... 8 FREAKIN SHOTS?! It's not like he's Hulk or something what the hell?!
    Losing Is Not An Option.

Check out my Tumblr CarsndMore

I think some information like time of day is critical to the article because if it was during the day something is wrong, if it was at night then its more reasonable. There is just stuff missing.

Quote Originally Posted by HamadaLFC8 View Post
    ridiculous and police will always make up ANY excuse to cover up their mistakes. Even as Linux said he has a bit sympathy for the officers... 8 FREAKIN SHOTS?! It's not like he's Hulk or something what the hell?!
    Agreed no need for 8 shots!!!!!
    I do have a little sympathy for the officers but Agee with the family also this is sad and probably could have been prevented
    <3 thank you knibbler <3

<3 Knibbler Gave Me My Crush <3

my sigs new stuff - Gamers Forum
    my shop :: Devils Shoppie Time - Gamers Forum

Quote Originally Posted by HamadaLFC8 View Post

8 shots were fired how many hit him? That is a critical question to ask. Police officers arent crack shots so you cant assume all of those shot hit him.

the statement "police will always make up any excuse to cover up their mistakes" is false. Its a common assumption made when a ruling is made on the side of the police when they made a judgment call and did something in a situation.

Also, its a assumption made when a family member is mad their loved one was harmed or what not.
    Last edited by Jokersvirus; 12-14-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3-devils-princess View Post
    Agreed no need for 8 shots!!!!!
    I do have a little sympathy for the officers but Agee with the family also this is sad and probably could have been prevented
    When you fear for your life, 8 shots is really nothing.

Even if you're just in a firing range, you can easily shoot 10-12 rounds in 2-3 seconds. So the 6 shots fired from the handgun and 2 from the shotty probably was like a 1-3 second shootout - it's not long.

So I wouldn't say 8 shots was excessive. But then again, I'll also say that more than 0 shots was excessive because they the article makes it seem as if the officers failed to do a few things first.

I think this article did a poor job at putting the facts out. First off, leaving the time of day out is an amateur move.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

wow this is pretty sad :/
    but joker does have a point about not all 8 shots hitting him
    but I mean the thing in this situation is the fact the police officers could have been killed if that was a gun and they were waiting to say freeze they could have been shot before freeze ever came out of the cops mouth
    but I do have to admit that this kinda was uncalled for considering that it was a water bottle nozzle and I do think that they should be suspended from duty or something
    I mean they shot an unarmed man

made by Th3-Devils-Princess
    Joe Mauer is the best catcher

Well Ice the thing is, it looked like a weapon and police officers cant sit there and wait to find out if its a weapon or not cause it can cost someone their life.

It was a water hose nozzle and everything but still you point something that looks like a weapon at an officer and hold your arms extended out like your going to fire. You will be fired upon, self defense.

It goes along with the split second syndrome. Because of his actions and holding it like he did that caused a response to open fire on him therefore its the victim's fault that he was shot to death. Whatever happens within the split second they respond its the suspect's fault because they were prompted to act due to his action.

What will make or break this for me is the time of day. If it was at night ok what they did was justified and I will stand behind them, if it was during the day something is wrong.

Right now im assuming the officers acted in the best interest of the people around the suspect and themselves.

I know what you mean joker and I touched on that in my earlier post how the cops don't have time to say freeze or anything
    b/c I thought someone said that the cops should have said freeze if it was a gun but if it was a gun the officer wouldn't have time to say freeze
    I mean he was drunk after all so he didn't really know what he was doing
    the thing that we also have to think about is people don't understand what its like to be a cop.
    I mean a cop has to do split second thinking and what people don't understand is if they hear a cop killed a unarmed person they think "oh wow cops suck, blah blah blah" but really what if that guy was doing what this drunk guy was doing then, the cop would open fire
    I think anyone really needs to know not to hold something up that looks like a gun or yes, you will be fired on.

I don't know I mean, its a hard subject to comment on because I feel like the cop maybe should get a suspension but then you look on the other hand and maybe he shouldn't because I am sure if he truly didn't think it was a gun he wouldn't have fired.

made by Th3-Devils-Princess
    Joe Mauer is the best catcher

Thread Information