Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: top 10 RPG

Do you really consider Borderlands a RPG? I know it has elements, but I don't consider it an RPG. I would also argue that Parasite Eve isn't an RPG either. Anyway, here's my list.
    #1 diablo 2
    #2 Final fantasy 7
    #3 chrono trigger
    #4 Final Fantasy 6 (or 3)
    #5 elder scrolls oblivion
    #6 dragon age
    #7 baldurs gate
    #8 xeno gears
    #9 DDR
    #10 DragonQuest IV

only one can claim best facebook status
    Last edited by Mine; 04-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Great lists everybody.

heres my list

1 mass effect1/2
    2 fallout 3
    3 fallout2
    4 oblivion
    5 morrowind
    6 fable 3
    7 dragon age
    8 (Some game for, I think its nintendo nes) Your first enemy is bubbles.
    9 alpha protocol
    10 kotor

These games is in no order I love them all equally.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerGamer View Post
    My respects to anyone who ranks FF8 highly. Unfortunately I don't think I have played 10 RPGs lol. I will list my FF rankings instead.

1. FFVIII
    2. Skies of Arcadia
    2. FFX
    3. FFX-2
    4. FFVII
    5. FFIX
    It's been a while since I've played it, but that was probably the first game I ever played on the PS1, followed by going backwards and playing VII after it. But VIII is one of the greatest FFs out there, at least in my view. ^_^ So many memories come to mind when playing it. ^_^

Now I feel like playing that one. lol
    Forgiveness is a six gun, teach me how to shoot. The truth is like a moving target, forgiveness is a six gun.
    There is no forgiveness.

Forgiveness Is A Six Gun - DevilDriver

My List:

1.Gothic 1
    2.Gothic 2
    3.The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
    4.Mass Effect 2
    5.Risen
    6.Mass Effect 1
    7.Vampires Dawn
    8.Vampires Dawn 2
    9.Eternal Legends
    10.Fable-The Lost Chapters

I don't play RPGs that much, I like action adventures like Darksiders or Legend of Zelda a little bit more.
    Last edited by Mordry; 02-16-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordry View Post
    My List:

1.Gothic 1
    2.Gothic 2
    3.The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
    4.Mass Effect 2
    5.Risen
    6.Mass Effect 1
    7.Vampires Dawn
    8.Vampires Dawn 2
    9.Eternal Legends
    10.Gothic 3 (of course with patches)

I don't play RPGs that much, I like action adventures like Darksiders or Legend of Zelda a little bit more.
    Shame what about the Fable Series how can you forget about themTHat's actually really sad

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul View Post
    Shame what about the Fable Series how can you forget about themTHat's actually really sad
    Sorry, at the beginning I wanted to replace Gothic 3 with Fable-The Lost Chapters, I will edit it now. I hope the PC-Version of Fable 3 will be released soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordry View Post
    Sorry, at the beginning I wanted to replace Gothic 3 with Fable-The Lost Chapters, I will edit it now. I hope the PC-Version of Fable 3 will be released soon.
    Lol it's all good astleast you love Fable I forgive you. The PC version will be released soon we jus waiting for them for the game and then we fable lovers will all have that game.

Ew just no, Diablo? Come on! Be unique for a second, that game is so much liked that it ends up sucking. It's like if you're trying to be yourself and everyone suddenly dresses like you, it's maddening!

My list goes as follows:

1) The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    2) Amnesia: The Dark Descent(sort of RPG/Horror)
    3) World of Warcraft
    4) Fallout 3
    5) Everquest II
    6) Fable III
    7) Fallout: New Vegas
    8 ) Thief: The Dark Project
    9) Aion Online
    10) Matrix Online

Bioware fans might be screaming "WHERES MY ME2!? WHERES MY DAO!?" Well to be honest you guys, I don't consider those games RPGs at all. I know you can obtain and sell equipment etc. etc., but to be honest with you, it is more of an Action Strategy game, than an RPG.

DAO has for example loads of invisible barriers that pretty much feel like the games storyline has a death grip on your hand and guides you through the whole game, the "Do not stray!" phrase takes on a whole new meaning in DAO. Seriously, a game here the idea of exploration is seeing little bloody specs on a map trailing the paths from 1 section to another? Come on!

DAO also has a poor attempt at seeming more 'released' as in not so confined, yet here it also fails. For example, you can pick your origin, which in the beginning seems REALLY cool, make your own story instead of following some half assed game devs idea, right? Well it doesn't deliver what it promisses. The whole Origins thing, the thing the game is NAMED after, pretty much fades into the background after your tutorial time is over, and you get 'released' into the world. The game was for me only interresting during the origins section, once you reverted to the same old same old storyline afterwards? I stopped playing. Don't get me wrong, I finished the game, you can't really write about a game that you didn't finish.

DAO is just all around, not an RPG to me, and as such, it's not on my list.

And ME2? futuristic call of duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Bioware fans might be screaming "WHERES MY ME2!? WHERES MY DAO!?" Well to be honest you guys, I don't consider those games RPGs at all. I know you can obtain and sell equipment etc. etc., but to be honest with you, it is more of an Action Strategy game, than an RPG.

DAO has for example loads of invisible barriers that pretty much feel like the games storyline has a death grip on your hand and guides you through the whole game, the "Do not stray!" phrase takes on a whole new meaning in DAO. Seriously, a game here the idea of exploration is seeing little bloody specs on a map trailing the paths from 1 section to another? Come on!

DAO also has a poor attempt at seeming more 'released' as in not so confined, yet here it also fails. For example, you can pick your origin, which in the beginning seems REALLY cool, make your own story instead of following some half assed game devs idea, right? Well it doesn't deliver what it promisses. The whole Origins thing, the thing the game is NAMED after, pretty much fades into the background after your tutorial time is over, and you get 'released' into the world. The game was for me only interresting during the origins section, once you reverted to the same old same old storyline afterwards? I stopped playing. Don't get me wrong, I finished the game, you can't really write about a game that you didn't finish.

DAO is just all around, not an RPG to me, and as such, it's not on my list.

And ME2? futuristic call of duty.
    i'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Final Fantasy 13 was WAY more linear than Dragon Age Origins, as are most J-RPG's, but those are still a form of RPG, which proves that a game can be an RPG yet still be linear. Just because Dragon age is a bit straightforward in the plot, the character customization is there, and while it's not as in depth as in a game like...oblivion...you can still customize. I kind of thought of DAO as sort of a mix between FF12 and Diablo 2. But the fact that you create your own character and play the role of him, while leveling the character and it's stats up qualifies it as an RPG. I haven't played Mass Effect, but as far as I can tell it's basically Dragon Age with guns instead of swords and magic.

Your list tends to gravitate more towards open-world games with high level of customization, however, so I understand your point of view.
    Last edited by EpsilonX; 03-28-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Well see take for example Oblivion, lots of nice gear ranging from Iron to Glass, and further, if you install the patches and the expansions, for not to mention fan made stuff!

Compare this to DAO, which has the exact same gear, but with different colors, heck, even the unique stuff still looks like everything else! Take for example the armor which the smith can make for you, regardless of what type you pick, it'll just be the same look as always, but with a different color.

The combat is also very choppy, I mean you spend more time having your character auto navigate his way around friends & foes alike to get to the enemy you targeted for him, he looks like MC Hammer gone haywire!!!

Take Oblivion where you swing your sword, and you either hit or don't hit, or you have your shield to block inc attacks etc. I don't consider a game where 80% is automated, and all you can do is run around, click doors, click abilities/potions, switch characters. Even traveling is automated. You really have most of your game play spoonfed to you wether you like it or not.

And there's the character customization. I agree with you here, it is fairly decent, unlike WoW's horrible "pick yo face, pwease!", if you wanna get a specific look, you can make it, I like that.

But to be honest, I don't think there's much to come after, and with such little freedom, and such automated combat, and with such little navigational possiblities("That right there is the way out, don't like it? Go to Oblivion where every which way is an exit with a different destination!"), I have a hard time being comfortable with calling DAO an RPG.

That's just my 2 cents.

Thread Information