Default Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Yes, Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Has anyone had a shot at this horror-show?

In true horror style, I naturally play it during the early hours of the morning in full darkness. I've laid a few bricks since beginning it, and I'm not sure that my heart won't give out before I finish it. I've heard it isn't actually that long, but every time I come across something that makes me jump, I pretty much turn off my oil lamp and retreat into the nearest corner of the room. This could take a while.

For anyone not familiar with this title, it's a pretty quirky game made on what I believe was a low budget as far as games go these days. Having said that, what they've come up with is a fantastic game that is truly frightening. The game is set in a Wolfensteinesque Castle in which you awaken and are for some reason compelled to delve deeper into. You have access to an impressive zero weapons, need to use your wit and cunning to escape enemies, and as well as looking after your health you must keep the lights on for the sake of your sanity (you carry the refillable oil lamp I previously mentioned for this task). When you lose your sanity, well, you naturally go mad - which is pretty terrifying.

Before I turn this into a review and get in way over my head, I'd like to hear from people who have played the game, or have a newly sparked interest in it. It's a great game, and a good buy; especially considering the developers decision to make more like it are riding on its success or failure.

I havnt played the game but I seen it, its freaking hilariuos watching someone play it.

I have the game, but it terrifies me and I will probably never finish it.

So I just had an idea. To get on my headset and play a few scary games like this and maybe take turns with my bro. Then take his terrified screams and put them up on facebook. =P
    Last edited by BobTD; 03-12-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    "Prediction: Zenimax Online is making an MMO set in the elder scrolls universe" -BobTD 8-25-2010 (search it on the forum)

Quote Originally Posted by BobTD View Post
    I have the game, but it terrifies me and I will probably never finish it.

So I just had an idea. To get on my headset and play a few scary games like this and maybe take turns with my bro. Then take his terrified screams and put them up on facebook. =P
    its an excellent idee

niceeeee

I actually ordered this through amazon just a few days ago, and should get it this April!

I have been looking into this game for some since I LOOOOVE horror games, games like Resident Evil & F.E.A.R are some of my favorite games, especially cause they take FOREVER to complete cause you spend alot of time sitting in a corner, hugging your weapon or lamp or mace or W.E! close to you cause its your only damn friend in this mess youve gotten yourself into!

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a game about a guy named Danial who awakens in a room, with no other memories of who he is other than his name and where he is from! As he goes through the upper levels of the castle, he finds notes scribbled out by his former self, telling his story without the gory parts(he gave himself amnesia with a potion to forget all of the atrocoties he committed).

His final mission to himself is that he is supposed to kill some lunatic in the inner sanctum(aka the basement of the basement)named Alexander. One thing he forgets to mention is the abominations hell bent on chopping him into bacon strips.

The whole time he is followed by a dark entity known only as the nightmare, hell bent on returning an orb to a sacred burial site, which Danial apparently stole on an excavation.

A huge part of the game is Danials mental stability, his immense fear of darkness. During the game you have a meter called Sanity meter, which goes up or down depending on the situation. This is probably one of the coolest parts of the game. If you sit in darkness for too long, or state at monsters, or see horrific scenes such as decay or dead bodies, your sanity meter will begin to drop, if you let it go too low, you'll begin to hallucinate sounds and sights, for example bugs crawling on you, or monsters coming towards you, or the noise of foot steps directly behind you etc.

I have only known about amnesia for a week, but it pretty much sold me the moment I saw the first gameplay movie on youtube!

I'm deffinately gonna enjoy playing this one, although it is possibly the most horrifying game released in the past 2 years, so for the faint of heart and those who dont take scares or high pulse well? Skip this one.

For those who are like me, who LOOOVE the adrenaline and the REALISTIC feeling of a horror game, will LOOOVE this one, deffinately worth it!

Thread Information