Default Google Fiber in Kansas City

Ultra high-speed broadband is coming to Kansas City, Kansas
    3/30/2011 09:00:00 AM
    As part of our overall goal to make the web better for users, last year we announced a new project: to provide a community with Internet access more than 100 times faster than what most Americans have today. The response was overwhelming—nearly 1,100 cities felt the need for speed—and we were thrilled by the enthusiasm we saw across the country for better and faster web connections. Thank you to every community and individual that submitted a response, joined a rally, starred in a YouTube video or otherwise participated.

After a careful review, today we’re very happy to announce that we will build our ultra high-speed network in Kansas City, Kansas. We’ve signed a development agreement with the city, and we’ll be working closely with local organizations, businesses and universities to bring a next-generation web experience to the community.

Later this morning we'll join Mayor Reardon at Wyandotte High School in Kansas City, Kansas, for an event we’ll carry live on the Google YouTube channel—be sure to tune in at 10am PDT to watch.

In selecting a city, our goal was to find a location where we could build efficiently, make an impact on the community and develop relationships with local government and community organizations. We’ve found this in Kansas City. We’ll be working closely with local organizations including the Kauffman Foundation, KCNext and the University of Kansas Medical Center to help develop the gigabit applications of the future.

Pending approval from the city’s Board of Commissioners, we plan to offer service beginning in 2012. We’ll also be looking closely at ways to bring ultra high-speed Internet to other cities across the country.

Over the past decade, the jump from dial-up to broadband has led to streaming online video, digital music sales, video conferencing over the web and countless other innovations that have transformed communication and commerce. We can’t wait to see what new products and services will emerge as Kansas City moves from traditional broadband to ultra high-speed fiber optic connections.

Now it’s time to get to work.

Update 4:15PM: We’ve heard from some communities that they’re disappointed not to have been selected for our initial build. So just to reiterate what I've said many times in interviews: we're so thrilled by the interest we've generated—today is the start, not the end the project. And over the coming months, we'll be talking to other interested cities about the possibility of us bringing ultra high-speed broadband to their communities.

Posted by Milo Medin, Vice President, Access Services
    Source: Official Google Blog: Ultra high-speed broadband is coming to Kansas City, Kansas

100x Faster...

THEY NEED TO COME TO NYC. I'm Tired of TWC.
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

►Easy Programming | My Youtube
    ►Naztronomy :: Astrophotography | Custom Computers

Exentenzed is offline Professional (Battlefield) Helicopter Pilot.

Heh, Fiber optic internet is popular around norway aswell.. in ~6 months it will have been set up where i live

Sig. by Psychotray

Verizon set up FIOS in NYC a few years ago but not in my area! If you go a few miles north of here, It's available there. If you go a few miles south, it's there. It's like they skipped over us. My cost would be halved for 5x the speed if it was available for me.

Makes me so sad
    Do not PM me regarding your problems or suggestions for the board unless you are offering me money. I will Ignore your posts and if you bother me too much, you will be banned.

You could try getting a petition going for that area which was "Skipped". telling them that they can get faster internet and a smaller bill at the same time sounds like something most poeple would sign on a whim so

Sig. by Psychotray

People in my area didn't even notice one of the local TWC servers was laggy all February. I'd guess that 99.9% of the people here don't even know what MBPS stands for.

The lower bill might work but a lot of the people around here have Verizon DSL and for them, the rate would increase. Don't think we have enough people here to push Verizon It's only a few mile radius.

But either way, Forget Fios I now want Google Fiber.

Ah i see.
    Sort of want Google Fiber myself actually, its way faster than the fibop offered here. :P

Sig. by Psychotray

As long as I can watch Netflix movies I don't give a ****
    ##WARNING! [-SAPH-]_virus.exe has been detected in your thread!##
    ##Initiating Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program module A...##
    ##Saph_Removal_Tool.exe program has failed##
    ##Initiating EMERGENCY_BACKUP_SAPH_REMOVAL##

**** yo this is awesome

I can't wait for a handful of years from now when fiber is the norm
    Read the forum rules! Talk to us in the IRC! Tell us why you joined!
    ديليجيز
    J+A <3

Thread Information