Default IRC Information Guide

Hello Gamers-Forum!

In this post I'm going to tell you about IRC and how you use it and what it is. Most of you know about IRC but, if you don't this post is full of helpful links and tips that you can use.

What is IRC?

IRC aka Internet Relay Chat is a form of real-time Internet text messaging. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message.

How can I use IRC?

To join an IRC discussion, you need an IRC client and Internet access, if you're on this forum you obviously have Internet access. The IRC client is a program that runs on your computer and sends and receives messages to and from an IRC server. The IRC server, in turn, is responsible for making sure that all messages are broadcast to everyone participating in a discussion.

Here are some useful clients to use

mIRC: Download mIRC
    XChat: Multiplatform Chat Program
    ChatZilla :: Add-ons for Firefox

After downloading your client you have to connect to the server our channel is on, to do that you have to enter /server irc.gamesurge.net after you connect you want to enter /join #Gamers-Forum to join our channel!

or if you don't want to download a client you can simply use your browser by clicking here and entering a username: Mibbit IRC client widget

What are modes?

Modes are the parameters of a channel, they define what can and can't be done. both users and channels can have modes,

What is voice? if you have +v you can speak on the channel when the +m mode is set. If +m mode is set only users with +v or an OP can talk in the channel.

What is OP? The +o mode is set or unset for particular users. Making a user +o gives the user operator status on the channel. Allowing them to kick, ban, other users and set modes for the channel

--

I hope this helps everyone understand what IRC is and how to use it if you didn't already know. We always have a great time and it would be nice to get more users to join.
    Last edited by Jaykub; 04-24-2011 at 05:27 PM.

We wont bite you.

Get on, get on baby, get on
    Get on, get on baby, get on
    Well, let me be, rock and rollin' free!

People it's time for you to stand up, take a 360° and start up your Irc-clients! I'm Bored!

Thread Information