Ok, I know that it wasnt long since my last review but Im just soooo bored now.

I chose to review Alpha protocol(the espionage rpg)

The game is a third person rpg/shooter hybrid made by obsidian(the makers of Kotor 2 the sith lords)

The background story is about an airliner jet that is shot down by terrorists. What first seems as a normal terror attack will soon be changed into something larger, more dangerous.

You play as the agent Michael Thornton. He is a newcomer at the spy agency Alpha protocol. Setted in the underground, the main base of alpha protocol(named the black box) is big and hoses many different areas.

Gameplay

As you begin you can choose of a wide direction of character infos. These change your powers and some times your dialogue options. After the intro you go through a training and some of the basics.

We got the normal things like shooting and an obstacle course and so on but also a special dialouge training.
    the controls are a little strange but you can change them. You are a spy so you can change what type of game you want. As you level up you can choose different powers and improvements to your character. These things range from stealth to making the guns more powerful and adding special attacks.

It wouldnt be a spy game if you couldnt hack computers and doors so they have turn those two things into minigames.

When you hack a computer you will see a screen full of flashing numbers and letters. In that screen there are two number/letter groups stuck that you need to find. You control other versions of those two groups and need to put right group into its "clone". You control two groups at the same time, one with the mouse and the other with the keybord. The problem is that you only got little time before the alarm starts and the controls are both strange and unprecise.

The other minigame happens when you hack doors or alarms. Here you will see a mini game where you have to follow "lanes" to the right point. There are lanes ranging from 1-7 dependably of the difficulty. In the easiest there are only 4 lanes. You have four lanes all connected with a button each, you have to hit the right button for the right lane. You have to press the buttons in order like 1 2 3. This minigame will be hard later on because of the many lanes and the short time.

As being a rts the battles are a little strange. You can shoot as normal but in most cases your weapons are highly inaccurate. As you go on you can improve for example the accuracy for the weapons.

The different kinds of weapons you can use are pistols,smg,s, shotguns and combat rifles. You can use rocket launchers and sniper rifles in some places but you cant equip them.

The pistols are accurate at short ranges and can be stealthy if equipped right.

The smg,s is noisy and inaccurate but have lots of shots and buffs the more you hit the targets.

shotgun, I dont think I need to describe

The combat rifles are your heavy weapon, very accurate and deal lot of damage but take time to aim with.

Apart from the weapons you can use different gadgets, both lethal and non lethal. And all weapons have different ammo for different targets. The psitol even got concussion darts for non kill shots.

There is a cover system in the game but I think its pretty clumsy and sometimes I can get really annoyed not being able to shot THAT guy from cover. The battles are also a bit clumsy and not so fun. One thing that I thought was a little weird was the pistol

When I played for some time I had a good gun. On close ranges I could headshot everyone but a little far away he aims like the regular james bond thugs. This makes me feel like they wanted to do a shooter game to but failed. The battles work but they arent as fun as they should be.

So whats good with this game then, well I can say that the character and dialogue system is one of the best Ive seen.

If you have seen the system from mass effect you know how this one looks. One difference is that you cant see wath he is going to say directly. You can only see vague options like treathen and sarcastic, whiel sometimes you can see the option directly. Its not hard to see what hes going to say if you choose the option **** you.
    Now theres no "wrong" option but different people like different choices. To that they got a like/dislike system so people will like you differently dependable of your choices. But the system is in real time so you have only a brief amount of time to choose an option. This makes it sometimes really hard to choose cause you dont know exactly what the person likes. You will meet some cool persons so choose who you want as enemys and friends cauisly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb7RU...eature=related

This is some dialogue in the game.

There are bosses in the game but sometimes I feel like they ran out on idees.My favourite boss in the game is without any doubt the most crazy guy Ive seen(and still being a human)
    One bad thing about the bosses is that they are sometimes to easy. One special attack that you can use kills most bosses in 2-4 shots depending on your level. I also feel that the end was hasted in the making so its just shoot your way through hordes of badguys and not so much stealthy.

But even if a person dislikes you its not over, Even people that hate you can be of use and people that loves you can put you in danger.

This makes the game more open because different choices will unlock new friends and new enemies.

The stealth system in the game can be a little weird sometimes but I enjoyed the stealthy approach way more than the shooty approach.

As you play different safe houses will be yours. In these places you can rest out between missions and do things.

In all safehouses there are
    A tv. The news will report things that has happend
    in the world(more or less by you)

A pc. This is one of the most importent places in the safehouse. Here you can Mail friends and get mails. Here you can also visit the black market where you can buy weapons armors and improvements. Here you can also buy information about the missions.

A bathroom mirror. Here you can change your looks to some degree.

A weapons locker. Here you equip your different weapons and armors and you mount also the upgrades on to the weapons and armors here.

The frontdoor. Here you choose your next mission. You can choose several missions and some missions unlock others.

Most missions are pretty narrow so theres not much exploring in the game.

The graphics and sound

The game havent the best graphics and some maps are kinda boring. Ive seen some problems with framerate and lagging/freezing but I dont know if it is the pc. The graphics are boring and can be ugly in some places. the best graphics are shown indoors and on the characters.

The sound do its job even if its nothing noteworthy. The best thing with the sound are again the characters who can have some truly good voices.

All characters have their own voices including Thornton.

Ok now a little resume

The cover system and battles are pretty clumsy. Personally I liked the stealth system more than the battle system.
    The graphics work but they arent so nice and sometimes they are really ugly.
    The character system is one of the best Ive seen and the game changes dependable of your choices.
    The voices of the characters are good.

Endword- If you can look aside from the clumsy battles and the average graphics you have a really good game with a good story to look forward to.

Now for the points

Story- Full of conspiracys and turns and despite some cliches- a 8/10
    Graphics- average- 5/10
    Gameplay- This is pretty hard to choose 6/10(I chose a 6 becasue it freezed and lagged in some places. My pc should be able to handle it so im uncertain if it was the game or not.
    Sound- the voices take in from the sound effects 7/10

Total- If you cant look aside from the gameplay a 6.5
    But if you can see the story an 8
    Last edited by paecmaker; 05-02-2011 at 12:48 PM.

This was my latest review in a short time so I try to wait atleast on week until next one.
    - changelog

I added a youtube video to show the dialouge and added some about the bosses.
    I just changed the gameplay point to a 6

I just added the section for the hacking minigames.
    Last edited by paecmaker; 05-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Please dont ignore my review(or atleast say if it suck)

Well, this was a crowded place, I accually read through it now again and didnt really think it was so good, but I hope Il get better.

Thread Information